GBA F2A USB Link cable schematic or something similar

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by sobieslav, Mar 28, 2013.

1. sobieslav
    OP

Newcomer sobieslav Member

Antarctica
    Hello.

I want to connect my GBA to my PC via USB to use it as a gamepad. Pretty much what this guy does here:

I was searching for this cable but it's nowhere to be found. Maybe someone has a schematic so I could build my own cable? Or where could I find some technical data on how this cable should work?

Or maybe an easier way - where can I buy a cable like that?

Thanks.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    F2A... probably not.

Straight multiboot- sure. USB might be slightly more troublesome though; parallel and serial were still the order of the day and I would not like to try porting it to an arduino/teensy++ type thing unless I was already versed in them and I do not see much good coming of normal USB-serial type affairs.
    http://www.ziegler.desaign.de/GBA/gba.htm#Multiboot
    http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm#auxxboopctogbamultibootcable is also good.

http://www.devrs.com/gba/files/mbv2faqs.php I will link despite not being of much use to you just because I usually link those three together.

3. sobieslav
    OP

Antarctica
    Thanks for the links. So I guess multiboot is what I want? It's just a straight connection to certain ports with no in-between digital circuitry unlike the F2A? Parallel/serial instead of USB can still work for me.

4. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    The F2A drivers are for XP, your going to have limited to no success on a windows 7 or newer system.

5. sobieslav
    OP

Antarctica
    I use XP. So there should be no problem obtaining software to use with a homebrew multiboot cable?

6. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    Most tools that use multi-boot cable are coded to direct access to the port (parallel or serial).

You shouldn't have too much of an issue connecting the GBA to comp. You might have to get a key remapper program if you wanted to say use the gba as a controller for mame or something.

7. sobieslav
    OP

Antarctica
    Got it, thanks. One last thing - does the link port slot have a name? I know it's not typical and it's a unique shape unlike FireWire or USB where I could just buy a plug and solder the wires. Will I have to make my own plug or is it at least possible to buy those or get them done by a shop or something?

8. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    Both are listed under Ports in device manager in windows xp and lower.
    Serial ports are 9 pin connectors, usually listed by windows xp as a COM port.
    parallel ports are 25 pin connectors, usually listed by windows xp as LPT port.

There are 3 modes for a LPT port. To change the mode you will need to go into the bios and change the mode. Most multi-boot tools will tell you what mode you should be using for it to work.

You might have to make the interface cable. You can buy most of the PC side at a Radioshack or electronics parts dealer like mouser, digikey, etc. The cable for the gba will likely have to be canablized from gba to gba cable kit (you will find a gba cable hard to find if you don't already own one that you are willing to canablize).

A finished LPT multi-boot cable should look something like this when done:
    [​IMG]

NOTE:
    Having little skills at making things means it might look fugly compared to the picture above. But as long as it works you should be ok.

9. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    is that the same cable from the gameshark gbc kit?

10. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    I bought a bunch of purple gba carts from DX back in the day for spare parts, they came with multi-boot cables that didn't work. So I fixed one to work.

The really fun fact about those carts were that there were at least 3 different gba PCB designs out of the 15 or so I ordered back then.

11. sobieslav
    OP

Antarctica
    Yeah well that's the biggest problem. I can't get a hold of anything that uses this port to salvage the GBA side connector part. The cheapest thing seems to be the wireless adapter. But it's still a little pricey just for salvaging a connector.

12. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
  13. sobieslav
    OP

Antarctica
    They are some Chinese knockoff cables but I guess they should fit just fine? Thanks for the link I'll just buy them and see for myself.

14. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    As long as the cable works, who cares if the source is a Chinese knockoff.

The only problem you might run into is that the cable might use the same wire color or different colors from the multi-boot diagrams. In that case you will have to wire test the pinouts so you can identify the correct wires.

15. sobieslav
    OP

Antarctica
    Yeah the colors are not a problem. What I meant was the size of the port itself. You never know with the Chinese, they may not fit in the slot at all or the connections inside the connector could be offset. But what the hell, at that price I'll just try it. Thanks again.

16. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    Non issue since most of the stuff you find is from the same factories that made the legit stuff, aka the accessory makers like madcat (back in the day), pelican, etc.

17. sobieslav
    OP

Antarctica
    Good to know. Thanks for your time.