GBA enhanced GBC games

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by Chaykin, Oct 2, 2010.

Oct 2, 2010

GBA enhanced GBC games by Chaykin at 2:07 AM (8,157 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Chaykin
    OP

Newcomer Chaykin Advanced Member

Poland
    Hi! I'm looking for a list of GBC games that are enhanced when playing on a GBA. I googled a lot and didn't found any list. Is Shantae and Zelda Oracle games the only one to have such feature?

And BTW are there any other, except Pokemon, DS games that support dual-slot mode with GBA game?

Thank you in advance for replies. :-)

2. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    I can't help you in the realm of GBA-enhanced GBC games, though that is an interesting topic.

I do know that there's quite a few DS games that interact with the GBA slot in one way or another. Warioware: Touched!, for instance, gives you an exclusive (albeit lame) toy when you have either of the GBA Warioware games in the GBA slot.

3. Zparks

Newcomer Zparks Member

Australia
    Advance Wars used Dual-Slot. Allowing you to buy new maps and wallpapers by having Advance Wars or Advance Wars:Black Hole Rising in slot 2.

I believe for the most part there were no games that were designed to take advantage of 'GBA enhancements' it seems highly impractical IMO. So I think for the most part you won't find a thing. Mind you the GBA was a large step up from the GB/C and as such having something that functioned well on both would be highly limiting to the other.

4. Chaykin
    OP

Poland
    I know of two (well three) games that have extra features when playing on GBA - Shantae and both Zelda Oracle games so I thought there could be more.

5. Sir VG

Member Sir VG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Those are the only 3 I'm aware of as well. There is a way to identify if a GB/GBC game is "GBC enhanced" or "SGB enhanced" so there may be a way to tell if a GBC game is "GBA enhanced" by looking at the header of the ROM.

This is what I mean by the header info for identifying GBC/SGB enhanced games.

http://nocash.emubase.de/pandocs.htm#thecartridgeheader

6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=107629

^that covers a bunch of DS games with enhancements although there are a few missing details in places (the Japanese only advance wars dual pack for instance), I recall another thread as well I think by Hanfuda.

As for the GBA enhanced GBC stuff you might want to have a look back at some of the old threads from the first few releases of goomba color on the GBA (pocketheaven naturally)- it is a simple detection for the GBC games to do and the option to "fake" it (one of the fun things with emulation is you often get to do things like this) and I recall a bit of discussion back then on the subject. I have no straight up list though and I did not even know about Shantae before you mentioned it. That I can recall most "enhancements" if they could be called as such extended to a rejigged colour palette which given the original GBAs screen probably does not work all that well (see all the work that has gone into recolouring GBA games in the last year or two http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=606 )

On a related note as much as I hate linking wikipedia they appear to have a nice list of super game boy games which is usually the next question after finding out about all of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Game_Boy_games

7. Chaykin
    OP

Poland
    Wow! Great list! Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much.

About the GBA enhanced GBC games I still didn't found anything (nothing on PH forums). I guess that Shantae and Oracles are the only three probably.

8. kuwanger

Member kuwanger GBAtemp Regular

There's also "Wendy - Every Witch Way" by WayForward Technologies (also the maker of Shantae). You get three extra levels to play, of which the last two seem to work fine on a GBC emulator (through a password) although IIRC the extra ending credits crashed the game; that might be an emulator bug?

9. Chaykin
    OP

Poland
    Thank you very much kuwanger! So there are more GBC games that are GBA enhanced. :) We got 4 now, does anyone know about any more? :-]

10. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    Can anyone explain what the enhanced features of these GBC games on a GBA are? I own all of the games (save for Shantae; $200+ on ebay? No thanks!) and have never even tried to play them in a GBA\DS.

11. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    The general idea of it was that GBC games could detect if they were running on a GBA fairly easily. If they did they added some extra features. What they were varied between games, the main examples are the Zelda oracles games (oracle of ages and oracle of seasons) that added some shops and a few rings. I would not expect much in the way of game changing differences- the whole thing was usually treated as something of a marketing gimmick.

I have no idea how many had such enhancements, indeed finding out what had them was one of the aims of this thread.

12. Metoroid0

Member Metoroid0 Any objections Adam?

Japan
    just to make it clear.. GBA enhanced games are basically CBG roms that are enhanced to look like GBA games and are played on GBC console, not on GBA or any flashcart like EZ IV etc...?

Also, those are all officially enhanced games, not some homebrew mod..?

13. TecXero

Member TecXero Technovert

United States
    You necroed a five year dead thread. Anyway. "GBA Enhanced" GBC games just refers to GBC games that have certain features enabled when played from a GBA. Like LoZOoS/OoA's Advanced Shop and brighter color palette, Shantae's extra dance and brighter color palette, and so on.

14. Metoroid0

Member Metoroid0 Any objections Adam?

Japan
    so?

and Thanks