GBA and DS Rom hacking guide- 2012 rewrite

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by FAST6191, Jul 9, 2012.

Jul 9, 2012
  1. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

GBA and DS Rom hacking guide- 2012 rewrite

Here are GBAtemp we have a thriving rom hacking community with a focus on GBA and especially the DS (although all consoles and devices are welcome) and as with most sections we try to have a guide to the various things that can be done. A bit of free time allowed for a near total rewrite and although it is not yet complete there should be more than enough information on all the big areas (graphics, text, game logic- assembly, levels, cheating.... and multimedia) along with example hacks of many of the big formats seen on the GBA and DS to get a lot of things done. Right now it is in PDF format although a HTML version should be along at some point and hopefully even the source document.

Filetrip download

Corrections (hopefully there are few) as well fixes for typos, layout and suggestions for areas to be added or expanded upon are welcome.

2 people like this.
  2. corenting

Member corenting Insert random cool title here

France
    Looks great but I cannot download it :(
    The download isn't loading and when I click on "click here to stat the download manually" it's not working too.

3. FAST6191
    OP

pip
    United Kingdom
    I do not know what changed- it just worked fine for me (current firefox, most security options disabled on filetrip).

I put a version up on a site I control ( http://trastindustries.com/romhacking2012preview2.pdf ). I had wanted to use filetrip though so if you are going to share the link please use filetrip as I am probably not going to keep the others up to date right now... might stick the HTML version up there though (it will probably be different as I wanted to do videos but being PDF it was better to do static images).

On a different note a list of contents (most of the file formats are not really there and part III needs a fair bit of work but the rest should be there)

Contents list

4. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    This looks like it is going to be very detailed and in-depth. Thank you for all the hard work.

5. Javiryu

Newcomer Javiryu Official Miiverse #1 lover

Fast6191 thanks for all of your hard work creating this! :)

6. Prof. 9

Member Prof. 9 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    This thing is absolutely monstrous. I'm giving it a read myself, but so far I have two tips. Use more commas! It makes some of your paragraphs read so much more smoothly. An example:
    The sentence in italics seems incomplete and is generally very hard to follow.

Also, try not interrupt your sentence to add in some meaningless detail or joke. Take the first sentence, for instance:
    The bit about quantum computing is, IMHO, better placed at the start of the sentence so it doesn't interrupt the flow of the sentence:
    You could also leave it out just as well:
    The sentence right after this is even interrupted twice

Anyway, this guide seems really fascinating and I'm definitely going to give it a read through. Thanks for the effort!

7. FAST6191
    OP

pip
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Prof. 9 and I agree some areas can stand to be reworded a bit. I really should stop remembering things and cooking up anecdotes midway through doing something else and forgetting to restructure the newly changed sentence as it does seriously impact readability (that is exactly what happened for that paragraph). Worse is I did it for an introduction which is something I really should not have thrown together (I make no promises but the rest of the document should be slightly better).

Equally now much of the actual text and images for part II (which is mainly there to cover basic concepts and a few example hacks using them) I can spend the time to edit things and do a lot more layout work (lyx is great but it fell a bit short here compared to most other times where defaults work pretty well).

8. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    tht is some amazing work! i will totally give it a read when i get the time. Will also suggest others to have a read too.

9. FAST6191
    OP

pip
    United Kingdom
    Thanks shakirmoledina

I spent most of yesterday afternoon and evening as well as a bit of this morning working my way through it and playing editor (typos, grammar tweaks, section ordering, clarifications and fixing the odd missing line/picture) so there is now a second preview version, I did not add much of anything but it should be slightly less disjointed when reading although this often came at the cost of longer sentences. I did have to hold back on the margins tweak I had planned though as I did not have the patience to redo pictures where were sized relative to the text area.
    The same filetrip link as before should net it but to save scrolling up http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/utilities/latest-gba-and-ds-rom-hacking-guide-f30026.html .

I updated my version of lyx as well and it plays slightly better with HTML although it is still not ideal with it being a 9 meg or so page without any nice names for the links not to mention I want to redo some of the static pictures to have videos instead (OAM animation makes so much more sense when you see it in real time) so I am holding back on that for the time being, I could possibly be persuaded to do a zip of it though.