Not open for further replies.

RowanDDR

SNES Lover
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the link!

I'm under the impression that Gateway lets me play ROMs which is why I keep it installed. Luma cant play ROMs from the microSD in the red card so its not "better" or am I missing something?

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Thanks for the link!

I'm under the impression that Gateway lets me play ROMs which is why I keep it installed. Luma cant play ROMs from the microSD in the red card so its not "better" or am I missing something?
You're right about Luma is not able to load .3ds/.3dz files as GW red flashcard does. But that fact doesn't make Luma CFW worse like GW at all (indeed, Luma has a lot of features/services/capabilities, making it a very complete piece of 3DS alternative software, and is so simple to install, and is free).

However, if you want, there's a way to have both Luma (through B9S) and GW red FC coexisting on your console:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-gw3d-11-10-b9s-and-cfw.550040/

Last edited by fmkid,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

RowanDDR

SNES Lover
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for info. Yes I already have things coexisting; when I turn on my 3DS it boots straight into Gateway emunand, whereas if i hold other buttons at boot, other things launch (Luma, etc). I don't think I ever updated from A9LH to B9S.. might give that a go now.

UPDATE: Hmm that didnt go exactly to plan - after installing B9S, when I turn on my 3DS I get this error straight away:

https://i.ibb.co/8KjNFcX/1605401472199-1.jpg

I got the error immediately after the following step of the guide:
Section III - Configuring Luma3DS
  1. In the Luma3DS configuration menu, use the (A) button and the D-Pad to turn on the following:
    • “Show NAND or user string in System Settings”
  2. Press (Start) to save and reboot
...and I now get that error every time I turn the 3DS on. :(

But all is not lost - if I hold SELECT when I boot it takes me to Luma3DS v10.2 config
And if I hold L on boot it loads an Emunand (although without gateway games support)

So I just need to figure out how to get it to autoboot into Gateway EmuNAND then at least I'm back to where I began (albeit now with BS9 instead of A9LH).

Last edited by RowanDDR,

lilyuwuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It is likely that your sysnand still has menuhax on it. Clearing home menu extdata should do the trick: https://3ds.hacks.guide/troubleshooting#clear-home-menu-extdata

To get gateway to work again, you'd need to follow the gw3d 11.10 thread on this forum. I (and many others) would generally not recommend it, as the vast majority of setups no longer tether to a gateway card, but iirc gateway still works best for cheats and obviously .3ds game dumps.

If you decide to get rid of your gateway setup: you may be able to follow the move emunand guide: https://3ds.hacks.guide/move-emunand.html, but any homebrew stuff you might have might be old enough that it may be better to start fresh

Reactions: fmkid and RowanDDR

RowanDDR

SNES Lover
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for info @lilyuwuu, yep that's cleared the error!

I'm having a look a the gw3d 11.10 guide but its not too clear to me so I've posted some questions in that thread.

If you don't recommend Gateway for playing ROMs, whats the alternative? Not sure what you mean about tethering.

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
Once b9s is installed, if you do not have an emunand, create (godmode9 can do this), boot luma config, select autoboot emunand, sys settings should show emu and sys ver, get fbi installer and install sysupdater cia, use sysupdater according to the guide, i zipped everything, you copy all the files and folders to the console sd card, you have to find the the downgrade cia and gateway launcher yourself i cannot link them

Tbh gateway and luma are both cfw, they both run unsigned code, both can use cia, gateway is better at running earlier homebrew vs luma, ive had more errors and arm11 crashes with luma than with gateway, especially with retroarch, however luma is actively maintained, gateway isn't,

Ive been using gateway/emunand as my daily driver, even can use patched games online with no issue whatsoever

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

lilyuwuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That pretty much sums it up. If you're just trying to play your backups then both will work about the same. Gateway is generally better for cheats (and I'm assuming stuff originally built for *hax -- retroarch on 3ds has never been particularly good...), but if you're not into either of those a luma-only setup is easier to troubleshoot (in that more will know how) and will be better supported going forward

Last edited by lilyuwuu,
Reactions: Shadow#1

RowanDDR

SNES Lover
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i zipped everything, you copy all the files and folders to the console sd card, you have to find the the downgrade cia and gateway launcher yourself i cannot link them
Thanks for the reply. I don't actually see any files attached/linked to your post or tutorial.

I have BS9 installed already. And I already have an Emunand from before I installed BS9, as that is what I had been launching from the Gateway menu and running my games though. Its a 10.x Emunand. I don't want to update it to 11.x .. well maybe later, but I'd just like to get the machine booting into the existing Gateway Emunand first.

Why would I need to use sysupdater and a downgrader? I can already configure different buttons to launch different things on boot of the 3DS, isn't there a .firm file I can launch with this method to launch into the Gateway Emunand? That was the setup I had with A9LH - at boot, boot_config.ini launched /a9lh/GW.bin which started the gateway menu. That's the only functionality I'm looking to restore.

Last edited by RowanDDR,

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. I don't actually see any files attached/linked to your post or tutorial.

I have BS9 installed already. And I already have an Emunand from before I installed BS9, as that is what I had been launching from the Gateway menu and running my games though. Its a 10.x Emunand. I don't want to update it to 11.x .. well maybe later, but I'd just like to get the machine booting into the existing Gateway Emunand first.

Why would I need to use sysupdater and a downgrader? I can already configure different buttons to launch different things on boot of the 3DS, isn't there a .firm file I can launch with this method to launch into the Gateway Emunand? That was the setup I had with A9LH - at boot, boot_config.ini launched /a9lh/GW.bin which started the gateway menu. That's the only functionality I'm looking to restore.

since its a 10.x emunand you don't need to use sysupdater, only needed if emunand is 11.3 or higher

https://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-gw3d-11-10-b9s-and-cfw.550040/

just copy the files and launcher.dat and hold start while booting

i've made the download links more noticeable

upload_2020-11-15_9-35-36.png

RowanDDR

SNES Lover
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks I'll look into that.

In the meantime I got this sorted - I hold START on boot (launches Luma3DS Chainloader) then choose down_BootCTR9 from the menu - that launches Gateway.

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you copied my files, holding start will bring up luma chainloader, select boot, and gateway will come up,

sounds like you're using the older tut, but you use luma chain-loader to load bootctr9 which also needs to be configured

boot_config.ini should contain this (for autoboot)
[BOOTCTR9]
key_delay = 1000

[DEFAULT]
path = /gateway.firm

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

the zip has everything preconfigured, so you should be able to just get the launcher.dat and boot,

only if you have an emunand above 11.2 you woulld use sysupdater to patch

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
If emuNAND Gateway Mode crashes, does it reboot into sysNAND Gateway Mode? Back when Gateway was still supported I think mine used to do that. I'd be concerned that if it were to happen now BS9 would get wiped, which could be pretty inconvenient.

deSSy2724

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
https://wiidatabase.de/3ds-downloads/hacks/gateway-3ds-installationsdateien/

But keep in mind that Gateway 3DS is pretty outdated and it is generally a better idea to switch to a newer hack like LumaCFW.
Its not outdated in terms of online play..... you can still do franken firmware and use the latest .3ds roms and play online. Its just that it costs money and that you dont have all the options Luma3DS is giving you. For cheats and .3ds backups (scene releases) its still the best if thats the only thing you have and want to do....

Last edited by deSSy2724,
Reactions: retrospect

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Its not outdated in terms of online play..... you can still do franken firmware and use the latest .3ds roms and play online. Its just that it costs money and that you dont have all the options Luma3DS is giving you. For cheats and .3ds backups (scene releases) its still the best if thats the only thing you have and want to do....
It is outdated. Doesn't matter if you mean "in terms of online play" or something other. Buying a gateway card these days is wasted money. Luma3DS+boot9strap is free and future-proof. And you don't have to search for any files or patch anything to hope that it "somehow works". So the only reasonable advice for gateway users is to "install CFW" and use its features. I don't understand why some people hold on so vehemently to Gateway-Entrypoints... The team behind it is already disbanded iirc.

Reactions: fmkid

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It works %100

you have to get the files from this google search https://bit.ly/3pwamsl

the temp considers 3ds firmware and system software as warez so link them directly or posting directly is not allowed, otherwise they'd be included, but my files got removed, so you have to search, feel free to complain to the temp staff...

Before axiogame went down, you could buy new boxed gateway cards for $15usd (two cards for the price of one nds mode card), they were the cheapest...

to me running unsigned code is running unsigned code, either way b9s is used to boot either luma or gateway anyway, so that is the entrypoint being used, im choosing which cfw i want to load

gateway is only outdated because most of the people who got burned were using fake cards, and the whole bandwagon around that, i'd rather just crack their menu software and make a better alternative

the card already has libs that allow for raw sector access: https://bit.ly/3pAq06c

so really one would just have to fork luma, but this anti flashcard bandwagon prevents that, imho i would have love to have more flashcards for 3ds mode, as one can physically add hardware extensions , 3ds luma + Bluetooth and 3g/4g (in the form as a cartridge), or even adding gpio like dserial, add a cpu/dsp for better emulation , unfortunately the scene now has a different kind of mindset (neez moar RAHMS), i blame smartphones

you don't like gateway don't use it, luma3ds isn't a religion so people need to quit forcing it down everyone's throat, yes if you don't have gateway or you're a complete noob (no offense) when it comes to computers then yes https://3ds.hacks.guide/ made for just you, otherwise everyone else isn't a complete N00B with computers; we know our way around and how to get stuff working, and show other people WHO WANT TO DO SO HOW

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
so really one would just have to fork luma, but this anti flashcard bandwagon prevents that, imho i would have love to have more flashcards for 3ds mode, as one can physically add hardware extensions , 3ds luma + Bluetooth and 3g/4g (in the form as a cartridge), or even adding gpio like dserial, add a cpu/dsp for better emulation , unfortunately the scene now has a different kind of mindset (neez moar RAHMS), i blame smartphones

To be fair, it's not the whole scene. It's an issue here on gbatemp, with some users routinely trolling flashcard threads and seeking to derail them; but it's not an issue everywhere. The userbase here can be quite toxic and the Luma religion is bizarre. Luma is good, but there's a lot it could do that it doesn't, and that's probably down to lack of competition.

Nice to have found an ally. I agree too that it's a shame there aren't more hardware extensions. I was just thinking the other day how good it'd be to have the iQue Player SoC on a 3DS cart, but then I saw that they now go for more than a Switch on eBay.

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive seen it elsewhere, especially anyplace where someone asked for gateway support

Note: Gateway and Luma3ds isnt a hack or exploit,they are programs like a rebooter on xbox 360s, boot9strap/sighax/a9lh/hax/mset are exploits..... iirc b9s is a bootrom exploit which effectively allows one to fake sign code, and have full hardware access from when i press power, with b9s you can downgrade to/run any system ver you like (model specific), it is safe to update as of writing using sys settings, this combined with ntrboot and nand backup, you cannot brick a 3ds, i know cause ive bricked my new3ds several times messing with the sysnand, never had a gw brick though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    now I have 3 mig switch. going to return these 2 to aliexpress tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gonna love it when the next update blocks them
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @realtimesave why did you get several MIG?
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @SylverReZ youtube to mp3 some are still good, usefull when the official music video has better audio than the music in th ecd
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father