Gateway saving question

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by DamnThatsHawt, May 29, 2014.

1. DamnThatsHawt
    OP

DamnThatsHawt Member

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2014
    United States
    Hey guys, I got a quick question regarding the Gateway.
    When playing a 3DS ROM, do you still have to exit the game to save or has this been fixed?
    Thanks in advance :)

2. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pokébro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    Nope, you don't have to do that anymore.

3. ScarletCrystals

ScarletCrystals Useless Bunny of Paradise

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    You have to press Home -> X
    Or
    Power button for it to save.
    If the game freezes or crashes save will not be written to the sd card.

4. DamnThatsHawt
    OP

DamnThatsHawt Member

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for the quick answer!
    Planning on buying one soon.

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    You actually still do, but it's exiting the game in any way......I.e shutting down

It won't save if your 3ds crashes or your battery runs out, just make sure you exit the game if you battery is low or if your going to leave your 3ds for a while

6. IronClouds

May 8, 2010
    United States
    Wouldn't the 3DS crashing or the battery running out cause a save to mess up under non-Gateway circumstances too? I mean, seems kinda silly to bring it up as if it's a Gateway-specific thing.

7. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    No on a normal cart the save is saved when you pick save in game, with gateway as it's transferred to the SD card and loaded from the SD card this is not the case you still need to trigger that transfer which only happens when exiting the game,when you load the game back up it loads the old save from the SD card if the new save was never transferred over from the spi chip to the SD card.......it's nothing major IMHO but still not exactly perfect

8. IronClouds

May 8, 2010
    United States
    I see. Even still though, does it happen that often to merit mentioning it as if it does? I might be ignorant in this, but I've only ever seen the red battery light a small handful of times, and it hasn't ever crashed for me in-game even on buggy launchers.

I might just be nitpicking though :P

9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Well as you have seen plenty of people have fell victim to it to differing degree's as I said in my opinion it's nothing major I always exit the game after playing anyway......even before I had the gateway card, so it's was nothing new to me, but some people are probably used to playing till the battery dies and would assume the save in game means it's saves

10. IronClouds

May 8, 2010
    United States
    So what you're saying is that I'm ignorant in this and I agree :P I guess I'm just more careful about the battery dying than many others!

Reecey and gamesquest1 like this.
  11. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    yeah man, stop being so ignorant! How selfish, I dunno, what are we going to do with you. :lol:

IronClouds likes this.