Hacking Gateway savegame backup issue

Riff89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been working on backing up my retail games and their respective .sav files. I have followed all instructions to the letter, yet I have been unable to use the savegame backups of some games. I backup both the game and its save to the sd card, move the rom to the Gateway micro sd card and change its extension to ".3DZ" and change the corresponding game save name to the correct titleid number. one game worked, but others say the save data is corrupt and then proceed to overwrite it with new save data.

Any idea what's going on here? I'm at a loss as I have repeated the process with all steps but get the same results.

I am on emunand version 9.5.0-22U to play my games, and on sysnand version 9.2.0-20U. not currently downgraded at all. 3DS XL U.S. region.

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What's your firmware version? Did you downgrade using the Gateway Exploit? And on what firmware did you play those games that have corrupted save files?

Riff89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's your firmware version? Did you downgrade using the Gateway Exploit? And on what firmware did you play those games that have corrupted save files?

I am on emunand version 9.4.0-21U to play my games, and on sysnand version 9.2.0-20U. not currently downgraded at all.

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm so it's not the save encryption that's the problem I think..

It should work, but I honestly have not tried doing this myself (I downgraded, so it wouldn't work for me anyways).
Are you sure the .sav's are 512kb?

If you run your retail cart through GW Classic mode and your saves work, then there must be problem with the dump of your game and/or the save, but I don't see why because it's worked before.

Btw, which game worked?

Riff89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kid Icarus Uprising works just fine, the weird thing is, the .sav file was smaller than 512kb-- yeah, it confuses me too.

Riff89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So as an update, it seems my retail game card saves became corrupt somehow. I am really at a loss now.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So as an update, it seems my retail game card saves became corrupt somehow. I am really at a loss now.
Only one out of my 10 retail carts worked. Please read the emunand / save data guide at the top of this sub. It will explain all much better than I can.

Your saves are not corrupted. Gateway has not fixed its encryption.

Riff89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only one out of my 10 retail carts worked. Please read the emunand / save data guide at the top of this sub. It will explain all much better than I can.

Your saves are not corrupted. Gateway has not fixed its encryption.

Are you sure they aren't? I just tried to play my retail game card of super smash bros. for 3DS using classic boot and the game told me that it had to be overwritten.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure they aren't? I just tried to play my retail game card of super smash bros. for 3DS using classic boot and the game told me that it had to be overwritten.
If you were in classic mode 9.4 emunand with a retail cart on 9.2 sysnand there should be no problem with the save. Do not overwrite it.

Smash has 8.1 so you are safe to play in sysnand. Pull gateway, reboot and try smash in sysnand, if it works there is a problem with your setup.

Riff89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you were in classic mode 9.4 emunand with a retail cart on 9.2 sysnand there should be no problem with the save. Do not overwrite it.

Smash has 8.1 so you are safe to play in sysnand. Pull gateway, reboot and try smash in sysnand, if it works there is a problem with your setup.

yes, smash does have 8.1.0 but I cant play it because that is the minimum firmware required to play. and I dont know if there is a working exploit for gateway on that version.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, smash does have 8.1.0 but I cant play it because that is the minimum firmware required to play. and I dont know if there is a working exploit for gateway on that version.
What??? You said you were on sysnand 9.4.

I am on emunand version 9.4.0-21U to play my games, and on sysnand version 9.2.0-20U. not currently downgraded at all.

Riff89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
emunand was 9.4 now it's 9.5. I guess I could go to 9.2 for sysnand and just see if that works. My old 3DS XL is on sysnand 9.2

Riff89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2 3DS XL systems. One on sysnand 9.2 and emunand 9.3 and the other on sysnand 4.2 and emunand 9.5. I apologize for not clarifying that detail.

Riff89

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, being on 9.2 allows the game to work. But still no luck making my savegame backups work with my game backups.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.