Gateway questions

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by saito1234, Nov 23, 2016.

1. saito1234
    OP

saito1234 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2008
    United States
    I have Gateway + emunand.
    I have a very annoying problem while playing on 3DS XL, lots of times it happens that I play with some game, close the lid of the 3DS, and after that when I open it again the 3ds says "no game card detected", etc... I noticed that I have to be cautious so I don't touch the card accidentally, because that can easily cause this error, and I can only re-boot into Gateway if I take the card off, and insert it one more time. So probably there is some kind of contact problem with the card.

It also happens sometimes, that I just shut the lid, I put the 3DS XL into my bag, and hours later I take it off, and the same problem occurs, so I have to re-set the game, etc... it is very annoying.

So I have the following question: is it possible to play games somehow from the SD card instead?
    That way Gateway would be only needed to boot up the 3DS, and all this problem would be solved.

* Also, an additional question, Gateway only saves when I quit the rom, so if the 3DS freezes my gameplay is lost. Is it not possible to save the savegame somehow, without quitting the game?

2. MagicKnight

MagicKnight Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2015
    Italy
    It's a well known issue with some (old) Gateway red cards. When your 3DS goes in standby mode for some reason the CPU/card slightly overheats thus causing that problem. If you want to get rid of the carts convert them to CIA and install them in your device. Don't forget to export and re-import your savegames !

Quantumcat likes this.
  3. saito1234
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2008
    United States
    Well my Gateway is one of the first, I bought it when it got released.
    Is there any way to fix this issue?

Is there any guide for beginners how to convert games to CIA, and install them onto the device?
    Also, how to re-import my savegames? As I never tried stuff like this.

4. urherenow

urherenow GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2009
    United States
    Japan
    clean the contacts of the card?

I have another idea in mind, but have to really know what you're doing with a soldering iron... in layman's terms, getting a paper-thin coat of solder on the contacts using just flux and a tinned tip to improve your connection. The flux both 'eats' off the oxidation layer and cleans your contacts.

5. MagicKnight

MagicKnight Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2015
    Italy
  6. saito1234
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2008
    United States
    Thanks!

I would like to have another question.
    I'd like to exchange my SD card to a bigger one, is it possible to somehow "copy-paste" the emuNand from my current SD card into a new one?

Or do I have to re-make and re-download a whole new emuNand for the new sd card?

7. MagicKnight

MagicKnight Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2015
    Italy
    Last edited by MagicKnight, Nov 23, 2016