Gateway profile partial crash + error msg.. normal?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by RowanDDR, Oct 21, 2013.

1. RowanDDR
    OP

RowanDDR SNES Lover

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    I've ordered a Gateway but it hasn't arrived yet.

In preparation, I used my Acekard 2i to run the Gateway exploit installer (GW_INSTALLER.NDS). So far so good. After that I went to Settings and pressed the "Nintendo DS Profile" button, but.. instead of crashing (black screen) and returning to the 3DS main menu (like I've seen in users' Youtube videos), it just freezes for a couple of seconds then displays a system dialog box which reads "An Error has occurred, forcing the software to close. The System will now restart. (Unsaved data may be lost.)" ... is that just because I don't have the red gateway card inserted, or a symptom that something else is wrong?

I will of course try to install the exploit using the actual Gateway blue card when it arrives. However, I had read that the exploit could be installed using any DS flashcart that will boot on your 3DS.

My 3DS system is an English one with 4.3.0-10E firmware.

(For what its worth, yes I had also copied Launcher.dat to the 3DS's SD card.)

2. Another World

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    the exploit will crash and then boot the gateway. you don't have the gateway. what did you expect it to boot?

-another world

3. RowanDDR
    OP

RowanDDR SNES Lover

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    I didn't think it was actually "booting the gateway" until you select the game icon. I thought it was just booting the normal system menu with some registers patched or something. I just expected it to crash in the same way, at least.

4. Rinnux

Rinnux GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 3, 2010
    United States
    RawanDDR is right. You can still boot gateway mode without the gateway card actually being in the console. As for the error message, I don't know what would be causing that.

RowanDDR likes this.
  5. Another World

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    it will crash the ds mode and look to your sd card to run the launcher.dat file. which boots into "gateway" mode.

-another world

6. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    It actually doesn't require the Gateway to be in the system in order to go into Gateway mode. The 3DS should just reboot into the system menu, not show an error. There are two reasons I know of a 3DS showing an error one is that the system is on firmware higher than 4.5. If you're positive you're on 4.5 try redownloading the GW_Install.nds file again, and try running it. The other reason is that there's no launcher.dat on your 3DS' SD card.

kyogre123 and RowanDDR like this.
  7. Another World

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    i do believe i read his post to quickly. i had it in my mind that he was running the gateway exploit from a card without actually owning what it would boot. then i read it again and realized he was probably missing the launcher.dat file and/or something was corrupted.

-another world

8. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    You can still boot into gateway mode without the red gateway card if you are on 4.1 - 4.5.

This has happened to me before (4.5 for my console). Start from step 1. You probably messed up the installation process or didnt put the Launcher in the right place/at all on the sd card. Redownload the latest GW firmware and try again.

RowanDDR likes this.
  9. Another World

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    -another world

10. RowanDDR
    OP

RowanDDR SNES Lover

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    Solved - launcher.dat had dissapeared from my SD card. Thanks everyone.

11. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    *tips hat* Not a problem.

RowanDDR likes this.