OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
As the title says. I'm finally going to break down and get a flashcard. I have a US 3ds, the small ones that came out first, and am on version 9.2.

So what are your guys experience, which should I get?

My concerns are:
Being able to use cfw.
Using homebrew.
compatability
Ability to save games.
And simplicity.

Also any reputable retailers would be appreciated.

CloudHD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to use homebrew the Gateway all the way. From what I've heard, sky3DS does not have homebrew compatibility. In terms of compatibility though, a con may be that you need a 3ds or 3ds xl on 9.2 or below. Gateway is somewhat simple. If you follow directions and make sure your doing everything correct, you should be fine.
I'd go with gateway, and I picked up mine from modchipsdirect.com 69.99 with shipping (tax free).
It got here within the timeframe. Only downside is I think you can only use visa cards.

Reactions: Margen67

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys. So gateway is what I should go with then. I'm on 9.2 which ive read is the latest supported fw, so I should be good. I'll order one today.

Also, are there any tutorials or guides I should look at before using it? I'm kind of concerned about bricking.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
You should certainly go with Gateway. It's cheaper, has more features, great support, etc.

Also, are there any tutorials or guides I should look at before using it? I'm kind of concerned about bricking.
If you're the type that likes to read to learn there are guides all around GBAtemp and other forums. But if you'd rather watch a video I'm going to shamelessly promote my 3DS hacking playlist here.

Those videos should give you everything that you need.

NoSmokingBandit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: netovsk

Nuxx20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since he is on 9.2 he can use sky3ds to boot homebrew via ninjhax. No reason to mislead the guy, even if gateway is the superior solution, there's no reason to ommit features from the competition

Reactions: netovsk

Nuxx20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As to where to buy, if you're in the west coast I would recommend going with usar4.com - they ship from California (confirmed and verified)

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
What homebrew would make someone choose GW over Sky? Sky is obviously simpler when it comes to loading roms, so what homebrew would a user sacrifice convenience for?
Extdata dumpers, themes, cheat plugins, coin setter, ftp servers, doom was just ported quite nicely with 3d rendering, still holding out hope for 3d emulation, etc. If you want simple plug and play piracy, then great. But I personally enjoy the homebrew scene and modding.
Since he is on 9.2 he can use sky3ds to boot homebrew via ninjhax. No reason to mislead the guy, even if gateway is the superior solution, there's no reason to ommit features from the competition
I already have cubic ninja and the ninjhax exploit. The entire reasoning behind getting a flash card is to see what can be done beyond the limitations of ninjhax.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I got a gateway (and another 3ds) for peace of mind but if all you want to do is to play 3DS retail games then sky, it was never blocked and maybe it never will while you can accidentally screw up on gateway (updating sysnand by mistake for instance) and even worse brick your console if not very careful.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What homebrew would make someone choose GW over Sky? Sky is obviously simpler when it comes to loading roms, so what homebrew would a user sacrifice convenience for?

Pretty much like my Wii. I can play super nintendo games through snes9x but there are so many good wii and gamecube games that I probably never will but hey at least the possibility is there lol.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn