Gateway Omega Feedback

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Wildblood, May 4, 2014.

?

Are you Satisfied with the Omega Firmware?

1. Yes! It does everything I want

65 vote(s)
    66.3%
  2. Yes...I have some complaints, but I still recommend it

28 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Not yet...still unreliable

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. No! It's a disaster

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. Wildblood
    OP

Wildblood Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    Greece
    Now that the Omega firmware has been out for a month, I thought it might be a nice time to get some user feedback and impressions. Thankfully the forums have been silent regarding bricks, so let's hope that's a thing of the past now!

What I wanted is to know how users feel about the firmware - are you satisfied with the overall experience? What would you change, add, or remove if you could? What features would you like to see in future?

2. Saturosias

Saturosias Sakura-sō Resident

Dec 27, 2010
    United States
    Well, it definitely currently satisfies everything I'd want and I've been using it constantly for a month now, though I guess the only things left to add are 7.X encryption support (provided it's even feasible with the nature of this exploit) and decryption of 3DS roms / running redirected files from the SD card (i.e. translations & mods support).

3. Zetta_x

Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

Mar 4, 2010
    United States
    I've had absolutely no problems. Using exfat partitioned memory card.

I've used the multirom support and it works well.

4. DDTarZan

DDTarZan Never getting laid again /s

Nov 11, 2009
    United States
    In some trees
    I love that multirom is even a thing, because one 32gb sd can hold plenty of games for me. No issues here whatsoever.

Except for no online support. I mean I would like to be able to play like Kid Icarus or something with my friends but I understand completely the difficulties in making that work.

5. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Its very nice, I'm interested to see what will come next, hopefully we can get a full on flashcart like DS flashcarts or maybe some more integration with the 3DS OS like shortcuts to launch games from your 3DS home screen

6. gartlan

gartlan Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2002
    I am generally very positive about Omega. However I'd like to see:

1) Some bug fixes (about one in 20 times you have to restart over, after the red Omega screen doesn't progress to Gateway mode, just a black screen; then there is the rare, but real, directory/file allocation bug that can mean a game won't load, giving a defrag error message, not always solved by deleting games and copying them over again.
    2) On the feature side I'd like to see continuous scrolling of games in the menu by holding down the left or right button, rather than having to press it individually to scroll one game at a time.
    3) Sure I'd like to see online support and CIA / decrypted rom support, but not sure this will happen.
    4) The ability to more easily backup and restore your EMUNand partition would be icing on the cake.
    5) Finally I'd like to see better documentation, as an example its not clear to me (? to anyone) what the constraints and issues are of updating to the big N's latest firmware and assuming EmuNAND will still work as expected? Whats Gateways advice on this, now and in the future?

7. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Since the features are far away from what a DS flashcart can do, I'd say it works, but highly lacks features. Yes I'd recommend it, but no, I'm not satisfied with it (Omega is far from what should be available for the Gateway).

8. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    If you hold L or R, it scrolls by pages.

Nightwish likes this.
  9. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    There are still many features missing like Homebrew Support (I'm sure that GW could do that if they wanted to), folder support, online support etc.

10. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    The only nigle I have about Omega 2.1 is the fact there is no online support. I did think seen as though they were taking so long releasing it maybe they might of shown online support as a big surprise for us all but just to release Multirom and a few extras not that great for the time limit that was given to them!

11. ciaomao

ciaomao Member

Newcomer
    Feb 20, 2014
    Albania
    I would love to see:
    - real time save
    - screenshot feature
    - dumping and launching of own eshop games
    - dumping save states of retail cardriges to use with the rom
    - homebrew support
    - online support

12. RenegadeKid

RenegadeKid GBAtemp Fan

Aug 11, 2013
    France
    Those who answered "no it's a disaster" are probably trolling.

tbgtbg and mhss like this.
  13. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    1. I'd like to be able to play DSiware, and GBA downloads that are from my ambassador games.
    2. I'd like to be able to dump my purchased e-shop games (into .3ds format).
    3. I'd like to be able to dump my game saves from retail carts and use them for roms on the Gateway.
    4. I'd like to not have to reinstall the exploit when a DS game is launched.
    5. I'd like to see the time restriction lifted from 3D playback.
    6 Finally I'd like to see online play (no cheats while online too).

Nightwish likes this.
  14. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pokébro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    I guess based on how I use it, my only complaint is the UI/functionality of the multi-ROM menu:

- It could be made into a grid taking up the entire top screen
    - The font could be less generic and dull
    - Might be just me, but whenever I turn on 3D mode while in the multi-ROM menu, the "3D effect" is buggy, and not a 3D effect at all (e.g. have the 3DS positioned one way and you see the image of the menu. But slightly turn it and the menu is not there)

Also, hi Wildblood! :)

Wildblood likes this.
  15. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Or own a clone and think it's a disaster they can't use it

mhss, IronClouds, cearp and 1 other person like this.
  16. Thesolcity

Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

Oct 2, 2010
    United States
    San Miguel
    I love my Gateway honestly, but if I could change some things...

- Choose which mode to auto-boot into: Retail, GW Classic, GW Mode. (EVEN JUST THIS, PLEASE.)

- Ability to restore NAND that I back up without the use of other hardware.

- Online support I guess, but I have my other 3DS for that.

- Support for homebrew.

That's all I can think of, really. I am enjoying the ~100% compatibility, region free, AND multirom so props for that. :yay:

17. boomario

boomario Nothing to say here.

Oct 31, 2012
    Brazil
    Comparing with old releases the new omega seems great but still lack many features.

18. Jiro2

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States
    I'd like to be able to choose the language the game will play in. Many games have more languages than are actually available to select from the normal 3DS configuration (which is why earlier versions of the firmware caused games to play in Japanese even though the 3DS can't be configured to allow Japanese). This would also help for Europeans who are using a non-European 3DS which doesn't let them pick, say, Italian or German.

AriaofMarina likes this.
  19. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 8, 2008
    Republic of Ireland
    I have had an issue where a black screen error "Remove gamecard" pops up and it just randomly bumps me out of EMUNand a few times but nothing major.

20. Gh0sti

Gh0sti iOS Guru

Aug 19, 2009
    United States
    Inside you, all around you
    Multirom is nice even though my 64GB has only 3 gbs left... SSB4 3DS is prob going to be a big game hope I have enough room for it ill prob delete some roms from my sd card