Hacking Gateway Mode with Sysnand not working. :(

Suthek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I removed the emunand partition of my Original 4GB SD Card.
formatted my SD Card with the DOS command "format G: /fs:FAT32 /p:2" (that should zero the card's data?)
placed the GW 3.1.1 launcher.dat on the SD Card.

I then turned on my O3DS XL. (running 6.2 nand)
I then used the web exploit to get into gateway mode. Held L so I'm fully in gateway mode. (rather than the auto passthrough mode? Also tried without holding L just to see. Same results.)
Pressed boot gateway mode.

Black Screen.

I know my SD card is fine. I know my Gateway is fine.
If I do the same with a SD card that has emunand, it boots to emunand fine.
I just can't get into sysnand with gateway mode.

I tried on my N3DS XL also and it's giving the same black screen.
What am I doing wrong? Shouldn't Gateway mode work with sysnand?

**Edit.
I just did the Diagnostic Test.
FPGA Test = OK!
SPI Test = OK!
SPI Read Test = OK!
SD Test = FAT32

Definitely am lost as why this isn't working.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where is your red card? Was this install previously? Once you see the white screen that is when you hold "L". Is this the first time you're running 3.1.1?

Suthek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Where is your red card? Was this install previously? Once you see the white screen that is when you hold "L". Is this the first time you're running 3.1.1?

this red card works fine to boot into emunand on both my O3DS and N3DS. 3.1.1 3.1 3.0 etc. Doesn't matter those all work fine.

I am aware when to hold L. That part is fine. I get into the GW menu fine. It's booting into sysnand with gateway mode that isn't working. (to install cia's to my sysnand)

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never booted from a blank SD card before so thats something I have to question as to why you had to format it in the first place?

Suthek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've never booted from a blank SD card before so thats something I have to question as to why you had to format it in the first place?

I formatted it because it had emunand on it previously.
By default "boot gateway mode" will boot into the emunand. That's why it needs to be gone.

I suspect that even though I don't have an emunand, it's still trying to find an emunand to boot into. No clue why though. I thought emunand is optional. It says so on the official GW tutorial.
http://maxconsole.com/maxconsole_files/v3.1.pdf (Page 15)

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually booted into sysnand before but with the original SD card all intact. You probably didn't have to format it, just remove the emunand partition.

So I had a spare 32gb mSD sitting around and did exactly what you did and I did not have any problems booting sysnand GW mode. Might wanna wait a bit for the home menu to come up.

Suthek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Very odd. I formatted a spare 8GB card to try and it works fine.
I suspect I'm not sufficiently wiping my 4GB card that PREVIOUSLY had emunand on it. GW is likely detecting traces of the Emunand and black screening.

Thanks!

loco365

Trophies
XP
Very odd. I formatted a spare 8GB card to try and it works fine.
I suspect I'm not sufficiently wiping my 4GB card that PREVIOUSLY had emunand on it. GW is likely detecting traces of the Emunand and black screening.

Thanks!

I'd open Windows' Disk Management with your non-working SD inserted and see if there's more than one partition on the card. If it only has one, then GW shouldn't have an emuNAND to read at all.

Suthek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd open Windows' Disk Management with your non-working SD inserted and see if there's more than one partition on the card. If it only has one, then GW shouldn't have an emuNAND to read at all.

Yea you'd think so... but I tried deleting the partition and creating a 4gb partition.
Even then, it booted into a fully functional emunand.
I had to write files to the SD card to make the emunand not exist.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea you'd think so... but I tried deleting the partition and creating a 4gb partition.
Even then, it booted into a fully functional emunand.
I had to write files to the SD card to make the emunand not exist.

You deleted the emunand partition by formating it, but unless you didn't delete the old partition and resize your primary than yeah maybe it still does see that second partition.

Suthek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You deleted the emunand partition by formating it, but unless you didn't delete the old partition and resize your primary than yeah maybe it still does see that second partition.

The SD card is 4 GB... and there is a 4GB Fat32 partition... the only partition... with no unformulated space.
So I don't quite follow what you're saying?

Regardless, I installed the 4 cia's to my sysnand and 3/4 work.
I just can't get alpha sapphire to work. I believe it's because I'm on sysnand 6.1 when I require 7.2?

Is there a way to update my sysnand to 7.2+ (while staying lower than 9.2) without a game cart?
I'm on 6.1

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
The emuNAND partition is read raw, as in, the actual 0s and 1s on the specific addresses without any care for context or partition layout. Thus, if you do a simple format or resize of the SD card, it only changes some metadata about the partition layout but leaves the rest of the data intact, just without anything pointing to it. Gateway will still see the data and boot into it. You need a full format that writes all 0s to the card.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
First format your Sd with SDFormatter v4 and check the restore option to ON, this will remove everything and get you the full space of your SD.

If you remove emunand and start with a clean SD (done this often) and just place launcher.dat onto the SD
when 1st booted it will create the 3ds folder needed onto your 3DS.
Then when booting into Gateway sysnand everything looks the same as your normal sysnand, just press "SELECT"
and you know asap if you are in gateway mode or not cause the rom selector should show up.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First format your Sd with SDFormatter v4 and check the restore option to ON, this will remove everything and get you the full space of your SD.

If you remove emunand and start with a clean SD (done this often) and just place launcher.dat onto the SD
when 1st booted it will create the 3ds folder needed onto your 3DS.
Then when booting into Gateway sysnand everything looks the same as your normal sysnand, just press "SELECT"
and you know asap if you are in gateway mode or not cause the rom selector should show up.
This. SD formatter v4 is the official formatter for all SD cards. Use it. It will bring the card back to official specs.

Not to get to technical about emunand but it does not reside on a partition but in unallocated space at the beginning of the card. So with some formatting programs only the partition gets formatted and emunand gets left alone.

Reactions: Suthek

Suthek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This. SD formatter v4 is the official formatter for all SD cards. Use it. It will bring the card back to official specs.

Not to get to technical about emunand but it does not reside on a partition but in unallocated space at the beginning of the card. So with some formatting programs only the partition gets formatted and emunand gets left alone.

Thank you. I suspect this is the problem. That's why I mentioned the dos command I was using to format it. I "thought" my DOS command was zeroing the card but I suspect I need to use that SD Formatter instead.

Suthek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you can't load gateway mode or classic mode if the red cart isn't inserted
I never said I'm not using a gateway card.
I didn't state "red card" and maybe that was misleading. Sorry about that.
I said "my gateway is fine" and I was referring to my red card.

In the end, using a SD that has never been emunand'd solved my problem. I suspect SD Formatter v4 would solve it also.
Thanks.

My problem now is I am on Sysnand 6.x when I want to be on 7.2+. (but less than 9.2)
I can't seem to find a way to update sysnand other than a retail cart.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if you know this OP but despite what the Gateway loader says, you can't load gateway mode or classic mode if the red cart isn't inserted

If you try you'll get a black screen. happens to me too

The problem is with the SD card not properly formated, that is all.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never said I'm not using a gateway card.
I didn't state "red card" and maybe that was misleading. Sorry about that.
I said "my gateway is fine" and I was referring to my red card.

In the end, using a SD that has never been emunand'd solved my problem. I suspect SD Formatter v4 would solve it also.
Thanks.

My problem now is I am on Sysnand 6.x when I want to be on 7.2+. (but less than 9.2)
I can't seem to find a way to update sysnand other than a retail cart.

There are ways to do it without a retail card but they are more involved and carry risk. I have read differing opinions on the risk of updating via a rom. There is also a ways of downloading direct from nintendo I have read about. [user]cearp[/user] can you help this user out and point him in the right direction?
Do your U have gamefly in Canada. They have free trial offers here and you could order Smash and get to 8.1 or even 9.2 if it is a newer rev.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water