Hacking Gateway menu without Cubic/Zelda possible?

squonk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi!
I use a Gateway flashcard on a Classic 3DS with the web exploit without problem.
Some day ago I purchased a New 3DS XL and I'm looking for a way to use the Gateway on the new console.
On youtube I find a video where a user seems to access to Gateway menu WITHOUT Cubic or Zelda exploit.
In comments the use claims that this is possible because he launched the GW_INSTALLER.nds (3.2.1 version) with the blucard.

So, having not at home Cubic nor Zelda, I tried it.
My bluecard doesn't work at all, but I can launch the GW_INSTALLER with my DSTWO.
The software seems to work: I can select the console type (Classic or new 3DS), the region and the installer seems to work correctly, but after this I can not access to the Gateway menu as in the video.

So my question: is this a fake? Why on my New 3DS doesn't work?
Ah, on my N3DS the firmware is 9.0...

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi!
I use a Gateway flashcard on a Classic 3DS with the web exploit without problem.
Some day ago I purchased a New 3DS XL and I'm looking for a way to use the Gateway on the new console.
On youtube I find a video where a user seems to access to Gateway menu WITHOUT Cubic or Zelda exploit.
In comments the use claims that this is possible because he launched the GW_INSTALLER.nds (3.2.1 version) with the blucard.

My bluecard doesn't work at all, but I can launch the GW_INSTALLER with my DSTWO.
The software seems to work: I can select the console type (Classic or new 3DS), the region and the installer seems to work correctly, but after this I can not access to the Gateway menu as in the video.

To use the DS profile exploit, you need to install the CIA inside "MSET4.5 installers for New 3DS REGION SPECIFIC !!!", but you need to boot using CN/Zelda at least once to do that.

squonk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It isn't fake, he already installed the old System Settings, so he could launch the MSET exploit without CN/Zelda.

Thanks for replies!
The user in the comment said that he installed the exploit without Cubic/Zelda: here is the problem...

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The video is blocked for me, so I can't see what he said, but for a New 3DS, you will need a way to reach the Gateway menu at least once, in order to install the mset.cia and enable the DS Profile exploit. So, for the initial setup, you will need Cubic Ninja/Zelda at least once (though a Sky3DS can be used to run those games). It's like sneaking into the third-floor window, so you can open the back door. (And GW_INSTALLER.nds is like a brick that keeps the back door open for you.)

squonk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The video is blocked for me, so I can't see what he said, but for a New 3DS, you will need a way to reach the Gateway menu at least once, in order to install the mset.cia and enable the DS Profile exploit. So, for the initial setup, you will need Cubic Ninja/Zelda at least once (though a Sky3DS can be used to run those games). It's like sneaking into the third-floor window, so you can open the back door. (And GW_INSTALLER.nds is like a brick that keeps the back door open for you.)

Thanks!
But a question is: can the GW_INSTALLER.nds works as for the old 3DS? Why the GW_INSTALLER is updated by the Gateway team?
I can launch this installer on my N3DS, but it doesn't works, so is useless?

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
(And GW_INSTALLER.nds is like a brick that keeps the back door open for you.)
I think that the brick in this case is mset_xxx.cia and GW_INSTALLER.nds the hand that opens the door.

Thanks!
But a question is: can the GW_INSTALLER.nds works as for the old 3DS? Why the GW_INSTALLER is updated by the Gateway team?
In other words, you can use GW_INSTALLER on your New 3DS, but you need to use CN/Zelda once to "enable" it, by installing mset_eur.cia.

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks!
GW_INSTALLER is one part of a two-part exploit. It works on both o3DS and n3DS, but the other half is a little different depending on which system you're on. On Old 3DS, you downgrade the sysNand to 4.x. On New 3DS, you install mset.cia which has the effect of downgrading the System Settings app to a 4.x version.

In either case, the older System Settings system application contains a bug that causes it to crash and run code when it hits specially-crafted data in the NVRAM Profile (where the profile for DS Mode is stored). GW_INSTALLER writes to that profile, putting in place the specially-crafted data needed to launch the Launcher. When both are in place, going into System Settings > Profile > Nintendo DS Profile triggers the bug, causing the system to reboot and run the Launcher. If only the Profile is in place, then the bug isn't present, and it won't reboot. If only the downgraded System Settings app is in place, it won't trigger the bug because it doesn't hit that specially-crafted data.

Think of a building that has a back door that has no outside handle, like a fire exit or something. Installing mset.cia is like unlocking that back door (maybe removing boards that were blocking it or something). Running GW_INSTALLER is like putting down a brick that keeps the door propped open so you can get in from outside. GW_INSTALLER isn't useless, you just have to do the other step of installing mset.cia before it's useful.

I think that the brick in this case is mset_xxx.cia and GW_INSTALLER.nds the hand that opens the door.

In other words, you can use GW_INSTALLER on your New 3DS, but you need to use CN/Zelda once to "enable" it, by installing mset_eur.cia.
I usually call GW_INSTALLER the brick, because running DS Mode software (flash cards, retail cards, DSiWare, etc) can cause the profile to get cleared/truncated/something which causes it to no longer work, so you have to run GW_INSTALLER again to restore it. Like someone passing by and kicking the brick out of the way so the door closes again. If you don't install bluecardfix.cia/FlashCardTimeWarp.cia so you can use the blue card (or another card) to install it, you'll need Cubic Ninja/Zelda again, though.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi!

There are a number of people who can downgrade mset and install the exploit for you for free, all you have to do is pay shipping.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/official-free-nvram-installation-thread.388695/

Spzjulien

Trophies
XP
Country
France
is it possible to backup original mset on my N3ds 9.0 before install the Cia MSET4.5 installers for New 3DS ??
or its useless ?

Spzjulien

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know if you can backup it, but you can reinstall it by donwloading the CIA in 3DNUS

merci :)

im looking for a tuto for this,
how to install this MSET4.5 installers for New 3DS REGION SPECIFIC !!! ??

i guess it have to be installed in sysnand ? in order ot advoid usinf CN game all the time

i will love when rxtools will support my N3ds 9.0, and i dont know much abt pasta ....
so i guess installing mset is the best option for now, right
sorry i have 2 O3ds, but im bit noob with my new fresh n3ds zedla edition brought today :)

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You need a way to install a CIA on your SysNand.
Yeah, the MSET installer by Gateway is for the SysNand.
But the first time, your need CN/ZOOT or a Sky3DS.

But this MSET is just for GW, not for boot another tool.

Spzjulien

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You need a way to install a CIA on your SysNand.
Yeah, the MSET installer by Gateway is for the SysNand.
But the first time, your need CN/ZOOT or a Sky3DS.

But this MSET is just for GW, not for boot another tool.

i have CN and gateway, and my Gf have sky3ds ....

hum, what you will do if you was me ? switch to pasta ? or stick to GW and install this mset fix ? on my N3ds 9.0 ?

or use CN to boot gateway, until Rxtools support N3ds (i love Rxtools)
im bit lost now :(

Spzjulien

Trophies
XP
Country
France
oki i did downgrate mset, and stuck exploit, and work great now .. :)
now i will keep GW (Drm card :) ...) to boot emunand, until rxtools come to N3ds :)

edit : i did backup my unlinked sysnand before, and i DL 0004001000022000-(Mset.Fix).cia
if i need to revert back ...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ