Gateway, Installed NVRAM without backing up sysNAND

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by steve1316, Jul 2, 2015.

1. steve1316
    OP

steve1316 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Hello everyone. First time Gateway user here. I have a question.

I was following the instructions for Gateway 3.2 Ultra for my N3DSXL in order to allow booting to Gateway mode via the system settings without me using my cubic ninja all the time. But I forgot to backup my sysNAND and went ahead and followed step 5 which is to install NVRAM. I have stopped there after I read more and found out at the bottom of the instructions that I should backup my sysNAND and setup emuNAND before doing anything. How screwed am I?

N3DSXL 9.0.0-20U

-steve1316

2. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    As long as your system is not bricked, you will be fine. Just back it up and copy it somewhere safe as soon as you can.

3. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Honestly downgrading your System Settings is a far more drastic mod that the nvram installation. nvram is nothing.
    Even the downgrade can be reverted though.

4. Jaitsu

Jaitsu Yet Another GBATemp Furry

Jun 2, 2015
    United States
    "NVRAM installation" is just mset, is it not? If so, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. That can be reverted with either a system format or just running an old NDS game with WFC capabilities.

5. steve1316
    OP

steve1316 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Yeah, I just got my Gateway a few hours ago. The only thing I did with it was install NVRAM. After reading your guy's reponses, I backed up my sysnand just to be safe. But if I want a truly clean sysnand backup, I can just format my system, use my cubic ninja, and make sysnand backup right?

6. Jaitsu

Jun 2, 2015
    United States
    As long as you haven't modified any system titles (such as through FBI, or an "Mset downgrade" etc.) then a system format will give you a totally clean system. But honestly, it really isn't necessary. Also, keep in mind that formatting sysnand will unlink your emuNAND, if you've already made one.

steve1316 likes this.
  7. steve1316
    OP

steve1316 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Alright, I have formatted my n3dsxl and proceeded to make a clean backup of sysnand. I then proceeded to create emunand so now I have 9.5 emunand. I went back to sysnand and booted to gateway via cubic ninja. I then installed NVRAM and pressed boot to gateway. Now, I have a black screen and I can't boot to Gateway mode anymore. I can still boot up to the gateway menu but booting to Gateway mode leads to a black screen. I'm still on 9.0.0-20U sysnand. Please help.

I have not booted up devmenu.3ds or done anything with mset yet because I can't boot to Gateway Mode.

8. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    wait how did you get 9.5 emunand?
    did you use a game update?

9. steve1316
    OP

steve1316 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    I followed the instructions on the Gateway official english manual on their website. Actually, I cant remember whether Im on 9.5 or higher because I cant check. I cant boot to Gateway.

10. weatMod

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    did
    you have a new 3ds and the current OTA update is 9.8 sooooo
    emunand only works up to 9.5 on N3ds if you updated your emunand via settings then you updated to 9.8
    unless you updated with a game then you on 9.8 ,

11. steve1316
    OP

steve1316 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Okay I have managed to reformat my emunand so now im on 9.0 emunand. I want to update to 9.5 emunand so that I can play Fire Emblem IF cia file. Reading the posts of this forum tells me something about using 3DNUS to download the 9.5.0-23U cia file to install while on my emunand. Will that fix my booting to Gateway mode black screen issue?

12. weatMod

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    that is risky i would just try to find a game with the 9.5 Fw update to update your emunand
    see procedure for updating emunand and look on 3dsessh to find a game,

13. Typhin

Typhin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    Yes. The black screen happens because Gateway cannot support past 9.5 emuNand on New 3DS. When you updated it to 9.8, it rendered it unbootable. As long as you don't go past 9.5, your emuNand will boot just fine.

When you use 3DNUS, you'll get a set of CIA files, just install all of them to emuNand to update. You may want to use EmuNand Tool to make a backup of your emuNand before doing so, just so you don't have to go through all the hassle of reformatting and stuff. If it breaks, just use the Tool to restore your partition.

steve1316 likes this.
  14. weatMod

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    just get yourself the puzzle and dragons SMB edition abstrakt US rom
    then hold up on the D pad when you boot GW menu update emunand to 9.5

15. steve1316
    OP

steve1316 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Ima try Typhin's method first to see if that works for me. I didn't realize that N3dsXL is only up to 9.5 emunand which explains everything. Also, since I'm on 9.0 emunand, doesn't starting puzzle and dragons SMB edition via the Gateway menu by pressing Select prompt me to update? Or should I just simply hold up on the D Pad as the Gateway menu is booting up? Which icon should I be on when I do that? The "Format Emunand" icon? Thank you for your reponses everyone!

16. Just3DS

Just3DS GBAtemp Fan

Jan 31, 2015
    Simply try loading the game in GW mode (in emuNAND). If you have latest launcher.dat then it should be able to boot the game anyway (because the launcher.dat file includes the latest fw support, so even though it shows you have 9.0 emuNAND it might be able to boot upto 9.5 games on N3DS). However if it uses features like NFC and stuff might be limited, though can't confirm that.

17. steve1316
    OP

steve1316 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    One more thing, I'm trying to figure out how to install all of these cia files for 9.5 emunand that I downloaded from 3DNUS. I'm watching a video and remember several posts telling me that after I format emunand (9.0 emunand right now), I should confirm that I'm on emunand mode at the moment and power down the system, take out the internal sd card, power the system back on and proceed to format the system so I can "unlink the nands". I have no idea what these mean and I need clarification. Thanks in advance

18. Jaitsu

Jun 2, 2015
    United States
    If you ask me, unlinking your NAND is totally unnecessary, since it's never caused issues for me. But a basic explanation is: Your 3DS generates a random "key" for its installed software, which you can see in the folder names in your "Nintendo 3DS" folder. When you create an emuNAND, it doesn't generate a new key; the emuNAND is a 100% clone of your system NAND. Because of this, software installed on the emuNAND is accessible on the system NAND, and vice versa (as long as a ticket is installed - just tell FBI to install it again; it won't, but it'll create the ticket). This can cause minor issues such as folders not behaving properly, and titles moving around (sysNAND can't see emuNAND's system titles and vice versa, so where they overlap on the home menu you have issues)

Typhin likes this.
  19. steve1316
    OP

steve1316 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Okay, I tried to install all the .cia files for 9.5 emunand using devmenu, powered off and then on the system and the setup homescreen popup did not show up so I must have done something wrong. I'm still on 9.0 emunand so Ima reformat the emunand and try again with devmenu and if that doesn't work, ima try big blue manager.

20. steve1316
    OP

steve1316 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    Wow, I finally did it! I was able to successfully update to 9.5 emunand using 3DNUS and was able to play Fire Emblem IF. Thank you to everyone who helped me make my Gateway experience a good one! Quick question before I go, is it okay for me to update roms on emunand by going to eShop? Or is updating via .cia better? My games besides fire emblem if are in .3ds format.

peteruk likes this.