Hacking Gateway for 2DS

rockstar8577

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i was looking into getting a Gateway for my 2DS. I've mostly read that it's better in the long run than the Sky3DS, and it's also cheaper.

Now i was curious about how to use GW with the 2DS. I've been reading that you can't downgrade. Now is that the only thing you can't really do, or are there repercussions for not being able to do so?

rockstar8577

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No i know i can't downgrade, but was curious if that's the only thing. Or if not being able to downgrade stops me from doing certain things.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because you can't downgrade, you'll be required to use the web browser exploit. This means you will have to have access to the internet in order to run Gateway each time you use it, unless you have an Android device that can run the exploit wirelessly without the internet.

eureca

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe the only real thing that downgrading lets you do is running the exploit that doesn't need wifi and the browser to run. I have the gateway on a 2DS and it runs roms/homebrew. Emunand works and I am able to install CIA's to it. The only thing that sucks is needing wifi to run the gateway.

eureca

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have an Android device, you can download 3DS X-Loader. It will make the Android a hotspot with which you can run the exploit like you would with the internet. However, with 3DS X-Loader, you don't need anything connected to the internet.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=es.igarcias.gw3ds_loader

I don't know why that never works for me. It gives a url and QR code. And the attwifi shows up on 3DS when I search for a wifi connection, but it fails to connect to the access point every time on the 3DS. And if I quit out and try to go to the url anyways it never loads.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ohhh okay, that's pretty cool. So then it's safe to get the GW for the 2DS?

As long as your 2DS is on system menu version 4.1-9.2, there's no real reason not to. You can do everything those of us with 4.X consoles can do. Your only concern is having an internet connection each time you want to run Gateway, and you can solve that problem by downloading 3DS X-Loader for Android.

rockstar8577

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as your 2DS is on system menu version 4.1-9.2, there's no real reason not to. You can do everything those of us with 4.X consoles can do. Your only concern is having an internet connection each time you want to run Gateway, and you can solve that problem by downloading 3DS X-Loader for Android.

Now this may be a stupid question, and one i could probably find. But how is the online with Gateway? Does it work for most games?

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
if you use rom from net, it has to be specifically prepared for online play, if it is your totally legit backup (hey, I do make them), just rename them to .3dz, they should work out of the box online.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now this may be a stupid question, and one i could probably find. But how is the online with Gateway? Does it work for most games?
If you have your own backups, the online works fine since the ROMs have their headers. Your backups need to be in the .3DZ format.

If you install games (as CIA) to emunand, the online works just fine. If you run downloaded games from the Gateway card, it has to be .3DZ format, and you need to have a header. You can grab a public header from the internet, or you can insert a private header only you have from another game that you dumped (recommended).

Random Joe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something to keep in mind too. Is you can always boot into gateway mode at home and use standby/sleep mode to get you on the go with it.

rockstar8577

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have your own backups, the online works fine since the ROMs have their headers. Your backups need to be in the .3DZ format.

If you install games (as CIA) to emunand, the online works just fine. If you run downloaded games from the Gateway card, it has to be .3DZ format, and you need to have a header. You can grab a public header from the internet, or you can insert a private header only you have from another game that you dumped (recommended).

So I can buy a cheap game for the header or install them to emunand. Those are the safer ways that is? Now the guide to setting it up for the 2DS. Is it the same as for the 3DS?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I can buy a cheap game for the header or install them to emunand. Those are the safer ways that is? Now the guide to setting it up for the 2DS. Is it the same as for the 3DS?

You install the header to the ROM itself. Private headers you rip yourself are your safest bet, excluding CIA installation. The use of public headers is not recommended.
The guide to setting up the Gateway with the 2DS is the same as setting it up for the 3DS. The only difference is you can't downgrade to 4.X.

rockstar8577

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You install the header to the ROM itself. Private headers you rip yourself are your safest bet, excluding CIA installation. The use of public headers is not recommended.
The guide to setting up the Gateway with the 2DS is the same as setting it up for the 3DS. The only difference is you can't downgrade to 4.X.

I only need 1 header right? As in 1 bought game? Cause not sure if i should do the private header or CIA installation. If i do CIA i should get a decent sized sd card right?

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I only need 1 header right? As in 1 bought game? Cause not sure if i should do the private header or CIA installation. If i do CIA i should get a decent sized sd card right?
Really the best option is to have a big SD card in the 3DS and install all the games you care about from CIAs.
You won't need to worry about patching anything just to go online.

Use the red cart only for offline play.

rockstar8577

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really the best option is to have a big SD card in the 3DS and install all the games you care about from CIAs.
You won't need to worry about patching anything just to go online.

Use the red cart only for offline play.

Well the only thing i was worried about was i guess the emunand getting messed up. Someone said if you are using CIAs then i guess they get messed up? Would that be save files, or just need to reinstall them again? And sorry for the 20 questions, just want to learn more about this. That way i have an idea of how things work a little.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.