Hacking Gateway Fail? (DS Card)

Startropic1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm testing these with a red 3DS XL running newest OFW, and a DSi XL (Mario 25th anniversary one) running the last DS OFW 4.5U I believe.

I have an R4i RTS 3DS Revolution flash card, and the Gateway (red) 3DS card with the (blue) DS card included for free. I have not touched the Gateway 3DS card, I will wait patiently until the 7.x firmware is supported before worrying about playing 3DS roms. So this is working with the DS flash cards only.
I had both of these cards running just fine with my 3DS. Since both cards use wood kernel, I figured both microsd cards I use with them would basically be interchangeable, (ie. a microsd card with wood kernel on it will work with either card.) So I tried switching the microsd cards, and it didn't exactly work. I found there were some minor differences between how each card read the wood kernel files, and how said files are actually named. I've corrected that minor problem such that the microsd cards now work in the flash cards they're currently sitting in. This finally brings me to the problem that prompted me to start this thread:

Either there is an inherent problem with the Gateway card, or I missed something in the wood kernel setup. With the newest 7.2 firmware on my 3DS XL, the Gateway (blue) DS card does NOT work. My R4i RTS 3DS Revolution card, however, DOES work. For the record, BOTH cards work fine in my DSi XL, it's only a problem on the 3DS XL. The error message on the 3DS XL is: "An error has occurred. Press and hold the POWER Button to turn the system off. Please refer to the Operations Manual for details."

So much for the Gateway card being the definitive DS/3DS flash card?

I am open to suggestions in regards to any troubleshooting to confirm or disprove the failure of the Gateway card.

D

Deleted User

Gateway 3DS is a 3DS flashcard kit, period.

The only purpose of the DS card is to assist the Red card in running 3ds features on firm 4.1-5. Anything else is a bonus. (btw the ds card works up to 3ds firm 6.1)

Pretty much this. Blue card doesn't work on any OFW past 6.0. GW is a 3DS card only, blue card is just a happy bonus and vehicle to load the profile exploit.

Don't even think GW claims the blue card is "definitive" DS cart, considering it's an old r4 clone. The definitive DS card would be a DSTwo.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Pretty much this. The blue card is primarily to get the profile exploit loaded and not much else (that requiring 4.1-4.5). Hence the hacked wood kernel. Being able to play DS was just a happy bonus. But as snailface, that DS card was smashed in 6.1. Don't think GW even mentions it being the "definitive" DS flash card. That title belongs to DSTwo. Blue card is just a happy bonus for 4.1-4.5 FW owners.
You're right, it was working up to 6.0 and blocked on 6.1.

This is could actually be a legitimate complaint should GW ever find an exploit for 6-7.x People with be so jubilant they will likely not complain much though.

D

Deleted User

I just replaced my blue card with a DS2, and loaded the GW installer onto it. Works great. Plays everything and emus, and loads the GW profile when I'm done.

Reactions: potato3334

Startropic1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
You're right, it was working up to 6.0 and blocked on 6.1.

This is could actually be a legitimate complaint should GW ever find an exploit for 6-7.x People with be so jubilant they will likely not complain much though.

This is false. My 3DS was running firmware newer than 6.1 when I got the gateway cards, and the blue card was working fine then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    denpafan @ denpafan: swag