Gateway emunand and 7.1

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by hypertek, Dec 20, 2013.

1. hypertek
    OP

hypertek Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2013
    United States
    So anyone do it yet? How does it work? Is it still hanging when entering systems settings?

2. Jackall4BDN

Jackall4BDN Haunter of Daydreams and Nightmares

Nov 8, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Within your Mind
    Are there any new features in 7.1 or is Nintendo getting back to it´s anti-hack-roots it had with the wii, where several updates contained nothing more then patches and blocks?
    That update seemed coming really fast so i think it´s the latter.

3. corim123
    This message by corim123 has been removed from public view by Cyan, Dec 20, 2013, Reason: insulting.
    Dec 20, 2013
  4. Drenn

Drenn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 22, 2013
    Canada
    The 7.1 update did not block anything. Smealum's rednand still works and no flashcards were blocked. This is probably just a bugfix update.

5. hypertek
    This message by hypertek has been removed from public view by Cyan, Dec 20, 2013, Reason: quoting deleted post.
    Dec 20, 2013
  6. tbgtbg
    This message by tbgtbg has been removed from public view by Cyan, Dec 20, 2013, Reason: quoting deleted post.
    Dec 20, 2013
  7. corim123

corim123 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2007
    United States
    It was an honestly stupid question. This update isn't going to fix the other problems. Besides it still isn't recommended anyway. Updates on these things will show up in the respective update threads.

8. landmasta

landmasta Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 11, 2013
    Antigua and Barbuda
    So uhh, safe to update or what?

9. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    safe or not won't change a thing :
    1) 7.0.0+ are currently not compatible, so there's no reason to update
    2) if it's not "safe", you can always recreate your emuNAND based on 4.5.0 or restore one of your emuNAND backup to SD.

Or do you fear that Nintendo do something when updating emuNAND it will force a change in your realNAND too?

10. RowanDDR

RowanDDR SNES Lover

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    Cyan yes that is a worry.

You say there is no reason to update. However, it is only by updating the emuNAND that you can then back it up. Imagine if Gateway release a 7.1 compatible launcher today and disappear for good, then Nintendo release 8.0 a few hours later - users would be left with no way to get an emuNAND of 7.1 for their device.

Also some people just want an SD card backup of every NAND version, for OCD reasons and incase it becomes useful in future for some obscure reason.

A lot of fantasy in this post, but you see where I'm coming from. Worst case scenario.

11. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I see what you mean with the updates. In that case, it's not a problem to update/backup emuNAND and go back to a working emuNAND until Gateway release a new version.
    It shouldn't force any update to realNAND (at least, 7.1.0) as it only updates camera, http, etc., not the System menu or native Firmware.

12. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    I can confirm, I created a new emunand (base firmware 4.1.0-6U) and updated it just now. I can get into gateway firmware by using both methods of holding in the left shoulder button (gateway menu appears) and not holding the left shoulder button (straight to system menu with no gateway menu). The Link Between Worlds Zelda game boots, so backups are working. I cannot get into the settings menu, it hangs while it's trying to load. Trying to enter the eShop I was presented with a User Agreement, which I declined for now.

So I re-inserted my SD card that has the gateway 6.3.0-12 emunand and I can enter the settings menu. Must be the new update that doesn't let me into the settings menu.

13. RowanDDR

RowanDDR SNES Lover

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    OK well on your advice I've just successfully updated my emuNAND from "GW3D 6.3.0-12E" to what appears to be 7.1 (can't get into Settings menu to confirm... 7.1 is live in Europe right, not just USA?)

RealNAND still on 4.3 :)

So, its "safe". And yes 7.1 emuNAND boots but cannot get into settings, same as 7.0 emuNAND.

Edit: oh, SickPuppy beat me to it!