Gateway and Rxtools are the same?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Skullz96x, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Skullz96x
    OP

Skullz96x Member

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2015
    Eritrea
    So, I have a New3DS XL ( 9.9 ) and a Sky3DS, and now that Nintendo starts to use new antipiracy methods in their games, I'm looking to buy an O3DS on 9.2 + a Gateway. But I read in some blogs that Rxtools does the same work as Gateway? Is this only limited to spoof emunand 9.9? Can you play anything else besides .cia files with Rxtools?

2. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2002
    No, rxTools can only run games installed via a .cia at the moment.

3. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    I think the confusion there is caused by the fact that in the RxTools thread, the creator said "RxTools uses the same emuNAND as gateway"

4. Skullz96x
    OP

Skullz96x Member

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2015
    Eritrea
    so, the best choice for me atm is to buy an o3ds 9.2 + gateway, right? that way, I can use anything that has ever been released? (region free, pasta cfw, ninjhax etc? )

5. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    It's just a fact, that you do need Gateway software (not hardware) to create an emunand to work with rxTools
    No it's not the same, you just need both (software wise) to get started.

So no need to invest in a Gateway (hardware)

6. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    Your best choice would be to buy an O3DS and install rxTools on it because it does all the things GW does minus the .3ds emulation.

7. Skullz96x
    OP

Skullz96x Member

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2015
    Eritrea
    i see. but personally, i want to play .3ds files, so if I convert .3ds files to .cia, that makes gateway hardware pretty useless to buy, right?

8. honyo29

honyo29 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 27, 2014
    Indonesia
    the only advantage of gw from rx at the moment is new3ds support (you're gonna use o3ds anyway), easier to install devmenu (still can be done by rxtool with some extra work, and you'll need to do it only once), and play 3ds rom file using red cart. it's indeed simpler and faster to test n swap games with redcart, but if you don't really mind the cia installation time, it's much cheaper to invest in bigger sd card and go with cfw(rxtools) and skip gateway entirely.

Bubbysaur likes this.
  9. Jao Chu

Jao Chu GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 20, 2013
    straya m8
    Gateway 3DS is good choice in my opinion because it really is as easy as download ROM, copy to microSD card, press select in emuNAND and play.

Installing CIAs into RXTOOLS is a tedious and complex process, even if you are downloading your CIAs prebuilt from "that ISO site"

Basically the only thing that Gateway can't do over a CFW is play virtual console GBA games.

10. guitarheroknight

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    Sure, but basically every game in .3DS format cam be found in .cia. You have an advantage as well using cia files - they're mostly twice as small as a original ROM so in terms you could squeeze more games into a SD card. Another cool feature is that rxTools can play GBA VC games which GW at the moment can not, and ALSO rxTools is totally free!

Bubbysaur likes this.
  11. Skullz96x
    OP

Skullz96x Member

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2015
    Eritrea
    thank you very much for your help!. i hope i can find an noob friendly tutorial on youtube :)

12. Psi-hate

Psi-hate GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    rxTools (Free)= Cias, debugging tools, emunand, Gba VC injection (I think?)
    Gateway (~$60)= Running .3ds, Cias, comes with DS Flashcart, and cheat support(soontm)

Add on anything that I missed. I don't really know what both of these are all capable of, but here's what I know.

13. guitarheroknight

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line
    Dint sweat it, actually you have a pretty noob friendly tutorial here.

14. nccom

nccom GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2006
    Estonia
    You can trim .3ds roms to the same size and you can use rx/pasta to run dsi/gba on gateway setup.

15. PandaMayFire

PandaMayFire GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2015
    United States
    Trust me when I say a Gateway at this point is a waste. Once you get everything set up, using CIAs is much better than loading them from a menu imo. Besides, it's free and easy to use :wink: But I also hate flash cards and prefer a custom firmware over one any day. My Gateway is currently sitting in my desk

16. mid-kid

mid-kid GBAtemp spamBOT

Aug 2, 2012
    Not really. You just slap a NAND dump onto your SD card and create a Fat32 partition right after it. This can be done manually with many tools, and I'm actually surprised nobody's yet released an emuNAND creator.

As for the topic of this thread, the only things of rxTools that were exactly the same as Gateway were the arm9 loader from spider (replaced by CakeHax) and the emuNAND patches.

Last edited by mid-kid, Aug 9, 2015
  17. nccom

nccom GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2006
    Estonia
    Using - yes, trying various games - no. Waiting for hours for cia installation is insane, I wouldn't trade my gateway for any CFW atm.

PandaMayFire likes this.
  18. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Somebody should create an emuNAND creator while it can still be done without a redcart - I can imagine one day Gateway getting sick of CFWs using their launcher and nobody paying them anything, and making there be a redcart check to make an emuNAND.

19. guitarheroknight

Nov 9, 2014
    Croatia
    Grand Line

And what again stops you for using a older version of the launcher.dat? :ha:

Quantumcat likes this.
  20. Psi-hate

Psi-hate GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    That was my thoughts exactly. :P
    But couldn't they modify the browser exploit to only give emunand permissions to the latest version?

Quantumcat likes this.