Hacking Gateway and emunand

darinhe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello people, i have some questions about gateway and emunand, i hope that someone could clarify some things.

I´ve been reading that nintendo released the new version 8 and the emunand from gateway wont work anymore. I bought the gateway this week and it should arrive next week. I would like to know if there is any way to update emunand to version 7.1 to play some games that require this version or i dont need to update emunand for this ? (i have the fw 4.5)

Thank you

golan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hey. i am getting my gateway soon. so to be clear if i have 4.1-4.5 firmware and i play pokemon y usa wich has a 6.1.0U firmware will it not update my firmware to 6.1? if i am not using emunand?

ozling

Trophies
XP
Country
With firmware under 4.5, Gateway will boot and you play all the various ROMs. Emunand update is not needed to play these games. Emunand update is only needed if you need to access Nintendo store, but as 7.5 and higher emunand all have a different encryption, you cannot access Nintendo store anyway.

I am using my Gateway, and it has Emunand 4.5 (ie I did not even bother updating the emunand after I backed it up and created the emunand), and it plays Pokemon fine.

Reactions: darinhe and elmoemo

golan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
With firmware under 4.5, Gateway will boot and you play all the various ROMs. Emunand update is not needed to play these games. Emunand update is only needed if you need to access Nintendo store, but as 7.5 and higher emunand all have a different encryption, you cannot access Nintendo store anyway.

I am using my Gateway, and it has Emunand 4.5 (ie I did not even bother updating the emunand after I backed it up and created the emunand), and it plays Pokemon fine.

awsome so I will be able to boot pokemon y on a 3ds with firmware 4.1-4.5 with no emunand installed thats right? and the gateway will block the firmware 6.1 hardware that comes with the rom?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
No unless you enter classic mode the default action of the 3ds is to prompt an update, when you enter classic mode the update prompt is bypassed, it can still running from the system nand, but it's patched to allow games that normally require an update to run,

Classic mode still runs with retail carts, but it allows region free and newer games without updating....that's it really

golan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
No unless you enter classic mode the default action of the 3ds is to prompt an update, when you enter classic mode the update prompt is bypassed, it can still running from the system nand, but it's patched to allow games that normally require an update to run,

Classic mode still runs with retail carts, but it allows region free and newer games without updating....that's it really

thanks alot man ...

so whithout emunand i won't be able to boot pokemon y rom? only retail cart?

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah but don't you need the latest emunand to play recent games etc.. that are encrypted to certain firmwares 7x and onwards and also for online play for updates. I don't think Mario Golf is working at the moment with online, it requires a new update of e-Shop to play.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
thanks alot man ...

so whithout emunand i won't be able to boot pokemon y rom? only retail cart?

classic mode isnt the same thing as emunand, you can set up emunand or not....either way you have the same results, basically there is gateway mode which patches the menu to allow you to use the gateway card, and there is classic mode which allows you to use retail carts, both classic and gateway mode allow booting of games that normally require a higher firmware or from different regions the only difference is retail cards vs roms on the gateway card

both of these modes will work with or without emunand, that is something separate

darinhe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks everyone for the answers it really helped, i dont need to use eshop so no emunand needed then ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.