Gateway 3DS Weird Issues.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by TheDreamLord, Sep 14, 2013.

1. TheDreamLord
    OP

TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 8, 2011
    Ireland
    I've already emailed the GW guys and am awaiting a response, until then I figured I'd ask you guys.

Yesterday my Gateway was running fine, at one point it came up with "Game card was removed" error, then after it was fine. Today I haven't been able to get ONE GAME to load in 1 hour 20 minutes of trying.

Just now I flashed the GW_testrom.3ds using the imager to one of my SD cards and the LED on the back flashes Red quickly, then goes straight to green. it did this too when a 3DS ROM was on the SD, and I believe the Green LED is indictive of it seeing a 3DS ROM Header, which there can't be.

Here's a video of what happens :

One last thing, at one point entering diagnostics mode I got this screen, and I was able to reproduce it a few times : Skip to one minute in. Sorry for audio in background. This video also shows the game card removed error I have.

2. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    have u tried formatting the sd card with panasionic sd formatter and then start the installation process from step one?

3. TheDreamLord
    OP

Jun 8, 2011
    Ireland
    I'll give that a shot now, thanks. Currently changing all hardware involved, bar the 3DS and the Gateway and will see if that works.

4. Vengenceonu

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    also remove the launcer dat from your sd card and try again.
    no harm in doing everything over.

5. TheDreamLord
    OP

Jun 8, 2011
    Ireland
    Did that already. Also tried downgrading to 1.1a.

6. TheDreamLord
    OP

Jun 8, 2011
    Ireland
    Just tried on another 3DS, same issue. Will format SD with PSD and if that doesn't fix it then I guess it has to be sent back...

7. Vengenceonu

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    or you could try a new micro sd card.

8. TheDreamLord
    OP

Jun 8, 2011
    Ireland
    Did the same thing also. Have 2 of them. Both official Kingstons.

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Kingston SD cards and I don't really go along very well - I always suggest Sandisk or other manufacturers (Toshiba and EMTEC served me well so far) - I had one Kingston and I had issues with it even in DS days, I also had a Kingston USB stick and it's the only one that died on me out of all the sticks I have.

10. Daku93

Daku93 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 24, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Düsseldorf, Germany
    You do not wait long enough. Just leave it at that green. The "Finish" Green is different.

11. TheDreamLord
    OP

Jun 8, 2011
    Ireland
    I did leave it. I left it for ten minutes last night. Anyway it's supposed to turn blue when it finds the gw_testrom.3ds, which it didn't. I'm requesting an RMA soon to send it back, I presume it's just dead. Also Foxi4 Kingstons are still working perfectly.

12. TheDreamLord
    OP

Jun 8, 2011
    Ireland
    Will probably be getting an RMA number on Monday, so if I can't fix this it's going back. Thanks anyway guys.

13. justinkb

justinkb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 7, 2012
    Netherlands
    Doesn't look like there is anything wrong with the gateway from the videos, to be honest. Sending it back will be a huge waste of time. Get a Samsung or SanDisk micro SD card instead. P. S. you should be holding the L button before pressing the DS profile button, so what the hell you are doing in the second video is beyond me...

Forgot to add, the instructions specifically state that if it gets beyond the first couple of phases, which it does in your video, the failure is unlikely to be related to the gateway. Tdlr; get another brand microsd.

14. robo989

robo989 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 13, 2010
    United States
    It's your MicroSD card...fool.

Listen when people give you advice!

2 x kingston...so can't be the SD card!?

BS!

It's your SD card(s) 100%.

15. Ryukouki

Ryukouki See you later, guys.

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    That actually looks like an SD card error. RMA back to a reseller is incredibly time consuming, so if that is the absolute last resort you have to take, then do so, but I'd highly suggest a different brand SD card. Kingstons for whatever reason tend to be the problem child. :P

16. jrr6415sun

jrr6415sun GBAtemp Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    United States
    these people in this thread don't know what they are talking about, don't listen to them.

I had the same problem and my gateway would give me the game has been removed error. When I did the test it looked exactly like your video.

there DEFINITELY is a problem with your gateway card. I got a new gateway card and now it works fine with the exact same micro sd and sd card, my old card does not work at all.. it would do exactly like you show in your video.

I tried switching SD cards, micro sd cards with new ones and I got the same problem. This is NOT a problem with your SD card or micro SD because I used the exact same ones on my new gateway and it works fine.

17. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

But buying a new SD for $20 and testing it, knowing that you can return it if it turns out to not be the issue for a full refund, takes maybe two hours between driving back and forth and flashing the rom to the card.

RMAing it to China and waiting for a new one is gonna take you a month and a half, and you still have the possibility of it being the SD rather than the card.

18. jrr6415sun

jrr6415sun GBAtemp Regular

Aug 19, 2013
    United States

but it's also a waste of time getting a new SD card because it's most likely the gateway card.. these gateway cards are not reliable at all

19. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

A month and a half for something that could potentially not even be the issue isn't a waste of time?

It's not like waiting the two extra hours is gonna delay their response by months, provided you're not on the last day of being able to submit an RMA request for your order. If anything it'll delay your response by a day or two (if you submit it after they close for the day, or two if you submit it late on a saturday and they are closed on sunday)

20. justinkb

justinkb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 7, 2012
    Netherlands
    Look, the video of the led colors flashing indicates an SD card problem, as it passes the first four tests without issue. Did you even watch it, jrr6415sun?