Status
Not open for further replies.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, you don't get the point. Sure you can build some sort of a file explorer DS homebrew (which I believe already exist), but it won't help you changing the way the 3DS reads game cards. I don't know how else to explain. At the risk of repeating myself, you need a fucking way to run signed code.

I think the point is that you could use the DS homebrew to set the partition, or file offset, or whatever. The card obviously already "changes how the 3ds reads game code" since it redirects to a microsd. Surely you can redirect it to q different part of the microsd.

Edit Double ninja'd, lol. But the point still is you could do it in DS mode. You could even have 2 cards in the cart if nothing else.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
what rydian means is that once in DS mode you can control the settings of the card through a homebrew
so you could move files around on the SD card, or have 3 roms on there but the 3DS mode version the card reads a specific name or symbol so you could rename the rom currently used and put the one that was used elsewhere or rename it

so the 3DS card could be looking for a file with a % sign in front of it, and you can rename the files in DS Mode
so was
%ACNL, LuigiM2
change it to
ANCL, %LuigiM2
and then when booted back into 3DS mode the data retreval would go "Ah thats what im looking for" and grab the correct rom

but unless there was a similar feature for save files you would loose the save when you switched also
It just won't work because for this to work you need to change the way the 3DS reads game carts. The 3DS wasn't build to read multiple games on one card. It reads the whole card as one game. If you want to tell the 3DS to read file X on the micro SD and ignore file Y then you need custom 3DS code, which this gateway cart doesn't have because homebrew was already ruled out by the ones that built this cart.

mysticwaterfall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It just won't work because for this to work you need to change the way the 3DS reads game carts. The 3DS wasn't build to read multiple games on one card. It reads the whole card as one game. If you want to tell the 3DS to read file X on the micro SD and ignore file Y then you need custom 3DS code, which this gateway cart doesn't have because homebrew was already ruled out by the ones that built this cart.

If the gateway tells it to read file x, it reads file x. That's how it works. All your doing is changing the the file gateway feeds to it. Nothing to do with the 3ds at all, it still only sees one Rom.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The Gateway is already doing the translation of 3DS reads to MicroSD reads.

EDIT: And this is not custom 3DS code, this is THE GATEWAY. The flash cart itself. The internal programming on the FPGA. The embedded program. The flash cart itself.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country

thats not how it works
the Gateway provides the data the 3DS wants through the FPGA, thats not custom code because its still the official rom data and its in one piece

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The Gateway is already doing the translation of 3DS reads to MicroSD reads.

EDIT: And this is not custom 3DS code, this is THE GATEWAY. The flash cart itself. The internal programming on the FPGA. The embedded program. The flash cart itself.
Gateway emulates real cards. Real cards are basically the electronic components around the ROM chip and the ROM chip itself. Micro SD = ROM chip. That's why it works. But it cannot add additonal functions.

mysticwaterfall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway emulates real cards. Real cards are basically the electronic components around the ROM chip and the ROM chip itself. Micro SD = ROM chip. That's why it works. But it cannot add additonal functions.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of how it works, or any flashcard/loader really. It redirects all the I/o to a file. The 3ds believes that file is the cart, it sees nothing else. It's like the WODE. It redirects everything to an ISO so the Wii believes its a disc. Does the Wii freak out and be like, what are these 100 other files? No, because everything is redirected to that one file.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Unfortunately, you seem not to understand how it actually works. You understand a simplified version of it. The Gateway card will contain an FPGA chip which takes all the read requests sent by the 3DS and responds to them with the expected response. It gets the data for those responses from a file on the SD card. It's not a direct redirection where the 3DS "sees" the micro SD card as the ROM chip, the FPGA chip "goes between" the two and pulls data off the SD card to give to the 3DS. That FPGA chip can therefore be programmed to pull data from a specific file name on the micro SD card ("boot.3ds" or whatever) and ignore all other files. The 3DS doesn't directly see the micro SD card, it only receives the data the FPGA chip feeds to it, so as far as it is concerned, it's just seeing an official cart, nothing more, nothing less.

And that FPGA chip can run code without running any custom code on the 3DS itself. Meaning when it receives power (i.e. 3DS is powered on), it could check for some file, and if it's not found, load a DS mode bootloader, or if it is found, load the bootloader from a ROM etc.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You've never touched a flash cart, have you?
The gateway is not your typical flash card. I thought it was clear the moment the features of this card were revealed. It seems your expectations will be crushed once this card is released.

It redirects all the I/o to a file. The 3ds believes that file is the cart, it sees nothing else. It's like the WODE. It redirects everything to an ISO so the Wii believes its a disc. Does the Wii freak out and be like, what are these 100 other files? No, because everything is redirected to that one file.
Exactly my point. That's why I said the gateway emulates a real game card.

Unfortunately, you seem not to understand how it actually works. You understand a simplified version of it. The Gateway card will contain an FPGA chip which takes all the read requests sent by the 3DS and responds to them with the expected response. It gets the data for those responses from a file on the SD card. It's not a direct redirection where the 3DS "sees" the micro SD card as the ROM chip, the FPGA chip "goes between" the two and pulls data off the SD card to give to the 3DS. That FPGA chip can therefore be programmed to pull data from a specific file name on the micro SD card ("boot.3ds" or whatever) and ignore all other files. The 3DS doesn't directly see the micro SD card, it only receives the data the FPGA chip feeds to it, so as far as it is concerned, it's just seeing an official cart, nothing more, nothing less.

And that FPGA chip can run code without running any custom code on the 3DS itself. Meaning when it receives power (i.e. 3DS is powered on), it could check for some file, and if it's not found, load a DS mode bootloader, or if it is found, load the bootloader from a ROM etc.
Granted it surprises me a bit that a self-proclaimed non-pirate like yourself shows that much interest in a warez device where he claims how that thing actually works.

FrostyWolf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The gateway is not your typical flash card. I thought it was clear the moment the features of this card were revealed. It seems your expectations will be crushed once this card is released.

Exactly my point. That's why I said the gateway emulates a real game card.

Granted it surprises me a bit that a self-proclaimed non-pirate like yourself shows that much interest in a warez device where he claims how that thing actually works.

Unless the gateway is going to require you to format the SD card in whatever format the file system typically is on the ROM chip, then dump a .3ds rom files on to it instead of moving the .3ds file itself, what your saying doesn't even make sense.

The Gateway is already reading a .3ds file on a fat32 file system. If it reads the one called game.3ds, there is no reason that you could put 5 other .3ds files on the same card, then use a DS flash cart to rename which one is called game.3ds at any given time.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I don't care about the warez card. I care about misinformation ;)
Right, we all do ;)

Further speculation, opinions and opinions that are presented as facts are pointless now. Just wait until the card is released. If I was wrong I will eat my words of course, but if not, I will just do that
carlton_dance.gif

Jean Karlo

Hacker Aspirant!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just hoping this doesn't becomes the next generation of clones flashcarts, We already had enough of it. I'm just going to wait a couple months to decide which flashcart (If more than one is released in the next 2 months) buy.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Right, we all do ;)

Further speculation, opinions and opinions that are presented as facts are pointless now. Just wait until the card is released. If I was wrong I will eat my words of course, but if not, I will just do that
carlton_dance.gif

When it does get released, and doesn't have these features, that proves nothing. The point was never that it would have them, it was that it could in theory. So you'll have no reason to celebrate anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol stremio hogging all of my tvs on board ram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just download more Ram to it, or setup Raid666 on it.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Morning
    +1
  • CooingMaxito @ CooingMaxito:
    Hello fellow stranger
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you mean I've known you since today
    Damn that's bonkers mate, it's almost like we've never met!
    Probably just my imagination
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: