Hacking GATEWAY 3.2 ULTRA PUBLIC BETA

Drona

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I haven't done the process yet (though I plan to), so I'm not really sure, but I believe the "fresh" mSD card is to ensure the exploit doesn't occur on emuNAND.

Sorry for the noobish question but what's wrong with exploit occuring on emuNAND ?

I ask this because I only used one mSD for the whole process and it worked at first try.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Sorry for the noobish question but what's wrong with exploit occuring on emuNAND ?

I ask this because I only used one mSD for the whole process and it worked at first try.

You need to downgrade the system settings (by installing the mset cia file) on sysnand becuase you need to be able to trigger the DS profile exploit in sysnand in order to launch gateway.
Doing this in emunand is of no use, as you need the exploit available in sysnand in order to use it to launch gateway/emunand.

With Gateway version 3.2.1 you just need to hold 'B' when you select 'gateway mode' from the gateway menu and it will launch into sysnand. There is no need for a 2nd microsd any more.

Drona

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks.
Very clear and precise.
:yay:

(I'm still trying to wrap my head around this but it's much better now)

SameerXChowdhury101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
Where do you find the mset usa.cia? I've been looking everywhere for the right version for the new 3ds. I got everything else working fine, I just need to import the mset usa.cia but I can't find it anywhere

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So to install the nvram/boot from sysnand, do u HAVE to downgrade 9.2 to 4.5, or is that optional? I can't tell from first post description. I just want to avoid having to swap carts w gateway cart, ala the old 3ds gateway method.

Also, is it possible for future games to somehow detect this exploit? (For OFFLINE gaming)

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So to install the nvram/boot from sysnand, do u HAVE to downgrade 9.2 to 4.5, or is that optional? I can't tell from first post description. I just want to avoid having to swap carts w gateway cart, ala the old 3ds gateway method.

Also, is it possible for future games to somehow detect this exploit? (For OFFLINE gaming)
I believe the mset.cia file only works on the new 3DS, which cannot be downgraded to 4.5. It essentially downgrades only the System Settings app, enabling the NVRAM exploit that exists in 4.0-4.5 If mset.cia does work on the old 3DS running 9.2, then you would not need to downgrade the entire sysNand.

The NVRAM option in the Launcher menu works the same as the GW_INSTALLER.NDS file on the Blue Card. If you have the DS Profile entry point enabled (either through downgrading or through mset.cia), then you can use either of the two to store the modified profile needed to launch the launcher. If you cannot or do not want to use the Blue Card, then you can still use the browser exploit or Cubic Ninja/OoT exploit to get to the launcher to install the NVRAM profile.

Once you have the DS Profile entry point enabled AND the NVRAM profile uploaded, then there is no need to swap cards. If you are choosing not to downgrade, then installing bluecardfix.cia is likely a good idea, since it enables the Blue Card to be used, in case you don't have access to Cubic Ninja/OoT to access the launcher for whatever reason. More options is always a good thing.

Reactions: InfoFront

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Once you have the DS Profile entry point enabled AND the NVRAM profile uploaded, then there is no need to swap cards. If you are choosing not to downgrade, then installing bluecardfix.cia is likely a good idea, since it enables the Blue Card to be used, in case you don't have access to Cubic Ninja/OoT to access the launcher for whatever reason. More options is always a good thing.

I do have a Cubic Ninja cart for my N3DS, I just like the whole idea of not needing it anymore.

I was confused on the whole downgrading aspect. So you're saying that one method keeps my sysnand reported at 9.2, but ONLY changes/emulates the DS Profile to acting like the old3ds gateway method that just had you click 'DS Profile' and Gateway emunand would launch, correct?
If that's correct, i'd rather just do that, than have to downgrade the "whole" sysnand to 4.5.

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have a Cubic Ninja cart for my N3DS, I just like the whole idea of not needing it anymore.

I was confused on the whole downgrading aspect. So you're saying that one method keeps my sysnand reported at 9.2, but ONLY changes/emulates the DS Profile to acting like the old3ds gateway method that just had you click 'DS Profile' and Gateway emunand would launch, correct?
If that's correct, i'd rather just do that, than have to downgrade the "whole" sysnand to 4.5.
It is my understanding that a N3DS cannot be fully downgraded to 4.5. Installing the mset.cia downgrades only the "System Settings" app, leaving the rest of the sysNand at 9.2. Since the System Settings app's access of the NVRAM profile is the point of attack, that's all that's needed. So you get the same benefits of downgrading (being able to use the NVRAM exploit, no longer relying on Cubic Ninja), without the downsides (breaking saves of retail games because of a difference in encryption keys/engines). The only downside is that sysNand's System Settings will no longer have a button for Super Stable 3D, but that will still work (you just can't access the settings) in sysNand, and the emuNand's version of System Settings will still be the newer version with the button.

bluecardfix.cia is also needed in order to allow the Blue Card to work. Otherwise, you'll still need Cubic Ninja any time the NVRAM profile exploit gets cleared. If you've installed both mset.cia and bluecardfix.cia, then you should not need Cubic Ninja ever again, though you can always use it if that's what you have handy for whatever reason.

If Cubic Ninja is sneaking in through the third floor window, mset.cia is unlocking the back door from inside, and installing the NVRAM profile (through either the blue card or the Gateway Launcher) is propping it open with a brick. Running DS mode (Using the Blue Card, any DS flash card, retail cards, or DSiWare) will often cause the NVRAM profile to get altered (I suspect it truncates the extra data used for the exploit, and some people have reported that it "sticks", but the actions to get it to stick are unclear at this time), basically someone kicks the brick out of the way and lets the door latch closed. The door is still unlocked, you just have to prop it open again by installing the NVRAM profile again, either with the Blue Card, or by using Cubic Ninja to get to the Launcher again.

I hope this helps give a clear picture of exactly what's going on, and why the methods are set up the way they are. I would recommend installing the mset.cia/bluecardfix.cia, but it's your system, and your choice. If you still have any questions, I hope I (or someone else) can answer them.

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a pretty funny set of analogies! Haha!
I get what your saying and also found a set of instructions from max console explaining all this too. I'm not worried about the DS exploit, I'll use my old 3dsxl for that.

I just want the mset exploit and wanted to make sure it wouldn't be something that future games could detect and not run. (Like an API check)

Appreciate the descriptions you gave!

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a pretty funny set of analogies! Haha!
I get what your saying and also found a set of instructions from max console explaining all this too. I'm not worried about the DS exploit, I'll use my old 3dsxl for that.

I just want the mset exploit and wanted to make sure it wouldn't be something that future games could detect and not run. (Like an API check)

Appreciate the descriptions you gave!
Since you install mset.cia to sysNand, and you'd be running emuNand for games, no game would be able to see the sysNand version to see a difference. And since the launcher is performing the forwarding, it would have control over what a game can and can't see, so if something does happen in the future, it should be easy to add whatever spoofing was needed to handle it.

Kenneth196

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turn off N3DS. Remove back cover.
Remove N3DS-MicroSD card that has enuNAND.
Find blank MicroSD card and put the region-specific MSET file on the root of it, as well as the new launcher.dat.
If you haven't installed FlashCardTimewarp.cia, find that too and put it on this MicroSD card, next to the MSET cia and Launcher.dat.
Find DevMenu.3ds, not BigBlueMenu.3ds.
Put DevMenu.3ds onto the MicroSD card that's in the Gateway cartridge.
Put the formerly-blank MSET MicroSD card into the N3DS and the DevMenu.3ds MicroSD card into the Gateway.
Power on.
Use Cubic Ninja or Zelda exploit to get into Gateway Menu.
Select "NVRAM Install" and proceed with instaltion. This will install to sysNAND, because the emuNAND card is not in the N3DS right now, and that's what we want.
Put Gateway cartridge into N3DS.
Start Gateway Mode and launch DevMenu.3ds (by pressing select).
Import the MSET CIA to install it to sysNAND (from the second tab).
If you haven't installed FlashCardTimewarp.cia before, install it now.
Turn off N3DS.
Take out the MicroSD that's in the N3DS (behind the back cover) and replace it with the emuNAND MicroSD (ie the one that was in there before)
Turn on N3DS.
Go to Settings > Profile > Nintendo DS Profile to start the Gateway Menu.
Fit back cover again.

NB: Running a DS game will erase the DS Profile Exploit. If this happens, use the Blue Card and run Gateway Installer.

Worked like a charm. No issues, no errors. Thanks!!

Reactions: Margen67

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since you install mset.cia to sysNand, and you'd be running emuNand for games, no game would be able to see the sysNand version to see a difference. And since the launcher is performing the forwarding, it would have control over what a game can and can't see, so if something does happen in the future, it should be easy to add whatever spoofing was needed to handle it.

Can I do all this from my original N3ds microSD card (that has emunand already) and just do the mset part after booting into sysnand mode? Is a 2nd micro card absolutely necessary??

chikoo_69

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can I do all this from my original N3ds microSD card (that has emunand already) and just do the mset part after booting into sysnand mode? Is a 2nd micro card absolutely necessary??

I'm asking myself the same question...Don't have a blank sd card right now. Is there a safe way to backup and restore properly the Emunand files on the micro sdcard? Can we just copy all the files on the SD to a folder on a pc?

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm asking myself the same question...Don't have a blank sd card right now. Is there a safe way to backup and restore properly the Emunand files on the micro sdcard? Can we just copy all the files on the SD to a folder on a pc?

I did this yesterday with no problems:
Just follow these steps if you only have ONE microsd card in the N3ds, and 1 microsd in the Gateway card.

NOTICE!!! This is ONLY for getting the mset exploit installed to avoid needing a CN/Zelda game cart to load Gateway each time! If you want to do the DS bluecardfix, see another users guide for that. (I chose not to install that)

Steps:
1. Locate a valid DevMenu.3ds file (search posts to find the correct hash code if u run into problems during step#8)

2. Erase old launcher file on internal SD card, and put the 3.2.1 launcher on it, and the correct MSET region version .cia file as well.
3. Place the Devmenu.3ds file on the Gateway microSDcard
4. Boot up gateway menu using your CN/ZeldaOOT method.
5. In the Gateway menu, scroll right to the "Install NVRAM" and run that, following the prompts. When it's done, it should bring you back to the Gateway menu.
6. Swap out your exploit game cart, for the red Gateway cart.

7. now HOLD the "B" button, and you should see the text saying "Boot into emunand" change into "Boot into systemnand" (If you let go of "B" the text will revert)
While holding "B" tap "A" with another finger, and it will ask u to confirm with "X". (you can let go of B now) Tap the "X" and Gateway will boot into Sysnand.

8. press select and choose the Devmenu "game". When it starts, move over one tab to the right, and locate the MSET.CIA file and install that.

DONE!!! Once it's done with that, exit out/power down the N3DS, and restart it. You should now be able from the home screen go to system settings, profile, DS Profile and emunand will launch with only the Gateway card needed in the cartridge slot from here on out. (or until u run a DS cart, unless you do the bluecardfix "stick" method, explained in other posts)

Hope that helps!! :-)

Your emunand question: copying/drag drop files doesn't work like that in windows, to backup the emunand. (unless i'm mistaken)

I would use the free "win32 disk imager" (called something like that) which lets you image the entire memory card to PC and vice versa. Only negative is it's a 1-1 copy, so a 8gb card will take up 8gb on your PC. But it's basically a foolproof way in case the memory card gets hosed or some file structure wiped for some odd reason. :-P

Reactions: InfoFront

Typhin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The emuNand resides in a separate partition on the SD card. Windows won't show you a drive letter, because it doesn't know how to read that partition, so you can't just copy a folder. There is an EmuNand Tool at https://gbatemp.net/threads/emunand-tool-release-and-support-thread.359239/ that makes backing up and restoring that partition easy. You should ALWAYS back up your emuNand before updating it, just in case there's an issue. The tool can also help if you upgrade your SD card in the future. Using disk imaging software can also work, but that backs up everything and requires more space, and involves a bit of work in resizing partitions if you're changing cards.

As VerseHall and Bonovox40 stated, since the 3.2.1 version of the Launcher, you can boot into sysNand with Gateway Mode enabled without having to change cards or anything. Enter the launcher menu as normal, hold B when highlighting "BOOT GATEWAY MODE" so it changes to "BOOT GATEWAY SYSNAND MODE", and press A while holding B.

erinnnnnn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
When I try to do the exploit with Blue Card, New 3DS 9.0, I got the error "An error occured.". I tried reformat and use another SD card. Help?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/a93F-EEw6HM?si=tUXuLXhXiWUsmIIv