Gaming: Widescreen vs Standard

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Velveteer, Feb 28, 2010.

Feb 28, 2010
  1. Velveteer
    OP

Member Velveteer GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    So, I've been tossing up whether or not to buy a new screen, so I figured I might make a new thread.

For gaming on PC, do you prefer widescreen or the standard dimension? Keep in mind similar pixel counts for each, so: 1280x1024 vs 1440x900, 1900x1080 vs 1600x1200, etc.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    It has got better in recent years but suffice it to say there is a reason why sites like http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/...x.php/Main_Page exist.

On the other hand letterboxing usually works well enough if not.

In the end I would take a screen wider than my field of vision if I could but I am happy enough with 4:3, indeed ever since my laptop bit it I have been using 4:3 monitors.

3. Velveteer
    OP

Australia
    If you really want it to be wider than your field of vision, go with an Eyefinity setup. If I had the cash for 3 huge screens and a ATI 5970, I'd go with that, but I'm probably going to stick with my horrible 1280x1024 until I feel comfortable buying at least a 1680×1050 or something. My graphics card won't handle full HD for future games on max settings, so I may be better off going with better quality on a lower resolution. Scaling up just kills the picture.

4. o0ICE0o

Member o0ICE0o GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Widescreen ftw! [​IMG]

5. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    1920x1080 because native res of my screen

6. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    tbh i don't care much for widescreen as long as it is big. if i want a big FOV i'll use eyefinity (seriously thinking about picking up a couple monitors so i can play games like DIRT and GRID). otherwise whatever monitor is cheaper, bigger, and is half decent is fine for me. that being said, im still on a 15" [​IMG]

7. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    eyefinity is overkill!

8. Velveteer
    OP

Australia
    Hey, not if you can afford it and have the desk room. That's the problem with PCs, it's difficult to define overkill. I doubt I'll ever fill my 1TB HDD, but many people would easily use that up. It just depends on the person. I think water-cooling is overkill, but some people think it's a necessity, because of massive overclocks. On the other hand, my case looks like a light show, and I'm not finished yet. 2 Blue Cathodes are going to find their way in soon enough. Many people think that is overkill. See what I mean?

9. Neko

Member Neko Been a while.

Germany
    16:9 (Widescreen) all the way, it's the way widescreen is supposed to be and it looks awesome.
    I would recommend you to get a nice TFT running at 1080p, it's really great.
    Although not alot of games support widescreen correctly, atleast not the old ones but you can find a patcher for them most of the time. Also my TFT got a button which adds two black borders to the Side so that when I'm playing in a 4:3 Res I can make it display in 4:3. [​IMG]

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Eyefinity seems to be little more than a fancy version of the triple head to go stuff that has been kicking around for years (software versions exist too: http://www.kegetys.net/SoftTH/ ).

Having experimented with such things on several occasions (I managed to get a split screen version of PC left 4 dead across two monitors once and countless games as three screens) they are nice but I would still letterbox a projector instead given the choice.

Additional comment- projectors- that is where the big growth will be.

11. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    People that tend to play MMOs prefer a wide screen, these types of users cram all the little windows to the sides and edges leaving mostly a good chunk of the screen visible.

Some hardcore FPS players will prefer a single screen or multi screen setup depending on the game. These setups are usually done with 4x3 screens so as to have minimal eye movements between 2 or more screens.

Projectors are more for large number of viewers. These are found in demo events like at CES or durring a competition event like those of the starcraft tournements in korea.

12. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    16:9 is very nice when the game is running at HD resolutions. Our most powerful PC is running on a 52" Samsung LCD. DiRT 2 looks great and Batman Arkham Asylum looks amazing at 1920x1080.

But you know, as nice as it looks, I can live without it. 4:3, 16:9....hi-res, lo-res, it doesn't matter to me, as long as the game play is good.

13. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    16:10 is usually used on pc widescreen monitors, 16:9 is used for standard televisions. I haven't looked back since I got my 16:10 widescreen monitor running at 1680x1050. [​IMG]

14. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    http://www.hardocp.com/news/2010/02/28/bad..._support_rocks/

Yep totally looks like overkill to me , now where can i get 3 nice monitors in a hurry [​IMG] .