Gaming mouse

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by clegion, Aug 1, 2011.

Aug 1, 2011

Gaming mouse by clegion at 3:53 PM (1,397 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. clegion
    OP

Member clegion GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Hey guys, This is my first time on buying a new gaming mouse, and I cannot decide between a couple of mice choice. I wonder if anyone can reccomend to me a gaming mouse that is not a razer product? I am currently looking at the Rat series or the Logitech g9

Thanks

2. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    i am using the Logitech G500 and it's pretty much does what it needs to do for me .
    all the buttons are programmable and can be switched around , there's a macro manager that records macros for me and i can assign it to any button, there's a 2 function scroll wheel [friction-less or click] and there are adjustable weights [though i don't feel much benefit coming out of it . i added the maximum weights once which was 27g and i didn't really feel a different to be honest] .

3. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
  4. clegion
    OP

United States
    Isn't that one of those fancy gaming keypad/numpad thing? or does it also work like a mouse

5. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    That's not a freakin' mouse, that's a "SpeedPad". I've got one, and it's designed for use with the left hand. It's basically a keyboard, only with much less keys - best used for MMORPGs and RTS games.

I actually looked for a new gaming mouse over the last few days to replace the MS Sidewinder X5 that my brother stole off me. In the end, I went with an MS Sidewinder X8.
    Other mice I looked at: Gigabyte M6980, Sharkoon FireGlider, CoolerMaster CM Storm Inferno, and the Razer DeathAdder ReSpawn. There are some other great mice, but they tend to cost £60+ where as the selection I looked at was between £20-40.

Important things to look for in a gaming mouse: ergonomics (grip, shape, weight), functionality (buttons, scroll wheel), cable (braided, non-braided, wireless) and sensitivity (DPI settings).

6. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    How about this one? It's what I use.

7. moose3

Member moose3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've been quite happy with my logitech MX 518. Adjustable DPI, 2 extra buttons.

8. clegion
    OP

United States
    Tried something similiar, didn't find it really comfortable(grip i guess), I have a rather small hand, i would also like a pinky rest.

9. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    QFT. It's a very popular mouse and I think it only costs 25 dollars or so. I like it alot. And the 2 extra buttons are a godsend for shooters like CoD. I use it all the time, one for the flashbang and one for the melee attack. Works superb.

10. naved.islam14

Member naved.islam14 Gbatemp's Official Dark Knight™

Sri Lanka
    I recommend Logitech G9.

11. Xoo00o0o0o

Member Xoo00o0o0o Xoo00o0o0o is in the house

United States
  12. clegion
    OP

United States
    Yeah In the end I have ordered a Rat 7, Since the receiver of the Rat 9 look huge
    ahhhh If only RAT/Cyborg would make a bluetooth mouse...

13. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Whats the major difference between the Rat7 and Rat9, just the wireless? And, are they good mice?

Not to hijack OP, but I've been looking too. I am coming away from a Logitech Wireless MX Revolution, which is like jesus in plastic, but mine is breaking. And this mouse looks very promising (the rat). My best friend has the razer Naga, which is nice but not very ergonomic (despite saying it is). The thing feels way awkward to me.

14. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    +1 for Logitech G500. You can adjust its weights and DPI, great mouse. It would have been the replacement for a wireless mouse for my gaming needs but I'm a woman and it's a little too big for me, so I decided to get a Razer Naga and give the G500 to someone else. But the G500 is still quite a cost savings if small hands isn't a problem that effects you.

15. DarkWay

Member DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

United Kingdom
    I'm also trying to get my hands on a Rat7 trouble is just finding one cheap enough!

16. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    G9X

the G500 is pretty good also

17. clegion
    OP

United States
    It's currently 79 bucks in amazon Amazon Rat 7
    and it has free shipping if you are in the US i gues
    @ plasma dragon007
    Yes the only difference is that Rat 7 is wired and the Rat is wired , and I will post back once I receive the mouse, should be on the 5th I guess

18. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    After figuring doing the fixing switches and wires routine on my old mouse for about the tenth time was going to be a chore I went for a rat3 the other week (surprisingly few real world shops carry decent mice it seems). Took a little while to get used to (for reference I tend to fix computers so I have been known to use upwards of 20 new to me mice a week of wildly varying design so be aware of that) although that might have been more to do with the forward/back buttons being reversed compared to my old mouse but once I did I got to really like it.

Normally I shy away from "gaming grade" stuff* (for reference I do large sweeping motions and precision work at speed on multiple fairly large monitors at vertical resolutions in the low 1000 ranges) and indeed if the price was not in line with decent mice otherwise I would not have gone for this but this one works for me.

*the sales patter and "features" evoke very similar reactions to audiophiles in my head-
    weights- because small chunks of denser metals are hard to come by?
    DPI- once you have a mouse side DPI switch kick the rest to your OS and maybe the odd program on top of that.
    adustable size- because small gel pads do not exist?

The only thing I regret is that it saw me install drivers for a mouse for no real reason.

19. clegion
    OP

United States
    The DPI switch button was a large selling point to me, too, I also travel alot and cannot bring Gel pads everywhere, I don't really like them either, so yeah I will probably review the mouse when it got here

20. Nimbus

Member Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

United Kingdom
    As someone who doesn't game that much (Outside of Emulators and whatnot), I can't really suggest a specific mouse for such a purpose.

The most I can suggest is a brand. I'm partial myself to Logitech, I've used them for as long as I can remember, they last ****ing forever (Still have a wireless one that works after 5 years now), they have great customer support, basically they're great in every way you could imagine.

I'd go with Logitech personally, but that's just me. I cant really suggest any specific Gaming mouse as I've never had to use one.