GameStop to Offer In-Store Digital PC Games

SamAsh07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
GameStop said today it will soon allow customers to purchase digital PC games in-store with any accepted form of payment, including trade credit and GameStop gift cards.

The plan will roll out this August with the release of Deus Ex: Human Revolution with "many titles" following.

"This is a great illustration of how the digital distribution model and in-store experience really complement one another," said Steve Nix, GameStop's general manager of digital distribution.

"We have seen great success selling DLC for console titles in our stores, so expanding on that model and helping customers discover digitally distributed PC games in stores is a natural fit."[/p]

arrow.gif
Source

SamAsh07

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Lol!! HDD comment +1

They are trying "Sony way". Wasn't Sony the one who claimed they want the future to be digital. No hard copies of games? Lol.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This idea... sucks.

Why go to Gamestop and get it full price when I can go to Steam on my computer and download the same games for (probably) 75% off?

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let me be the first to say in these exact words that that idea is fucking stupid! GS is going full mong on us. What's next DLC kiosks? I remember when you could buy a hard copy of DLC like Halo 2's expansion pack. Those were the days...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Slyakin said:
This idea... sucks.

Why go to Gamestop and get it full price when I can go to Steam on my computer and download the same games for (probably) 75% off?

Forgive me if it was in the gamestop statement or something but where did it mention it would be at full price?

I dislike digital distribution but this does address one of my main gripes (inflexibility of payment)... address the lack of a decent second hand market and you nearly have won me over.

purechaos996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I support this idea....I mean obviously you can't compete with steam and its pricing however the fact that they will accept many forms of payment is really awesome
biggrin.gif
Plus if your buying the game day 1 I doubt steam will have it on sale anyway so not a problem there.

I do still think that buying a disc is better overall, but since its cheaper for them to do it digitally I guess there is not much I can say.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAST6191 said:
Slyakin said:
This idea... sucks.

Forgive me if it was in the gamestop statement or something but where did it mention it would be at full price?

I dislike digital distribution but this does address one of my main gripes (inflexibility of payment)... address the lack of a decent second hand market and you nearly have won me over.
What I mean to say is that online stores like Steam normally offer (most) PC games at some sort of discount. Gamestop, on the other hand, doesn't.

I actually have a flaw in my logic however; I never really thought that they would discount digital games, when they very well could. So I was wrong.
smile.gif

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
purechaos996 said:
Actually, I support this idea....I mean obviously you can't compete with steam and its pricing however the fact that they will accept many forms of payment is really awesome
biggrin.gif
Plus if your buying the game day 1 I doubt steam will have it on sale anyway so not a problem there.

I do still think that buying a disc is better overall, but since its cheaper for them to do it digitally I guess there is not much I can say.
Steam regularly launches games at 10% off, or offers a pre-order price of 10% off. Steam is most likely going to remain cheaper, and not require a trip to the store.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a Steamworks title. It will need to be activated on Steam to be playable no matter where you buy it from. Essentially you would be buying the same game as a normal retail Steamworks copy except you don't get a DVD containing the game data. If this is cheaper than a copy with a DVD then sure that's nice, but if not then it's just a fancy-sounding ripoff with no actual benefits.

Although I guess it would be nice if they started selling titles that do not exist as retail copies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @NinStar, why you hurting your sisters