Microsoft to reduce its PC game sales cut on Microsoft Store to 12%

micro store.jpg

Starting this August 1st, Microsoft will take less of a profit from game sales through the Microsoft Store. As from that date, developers' share of Microsoft Store PC games sales net revenue will increase to 88%, from 70%. The news comes from a blog post shared today by Matt Booty, Head of Xbox Game Studios.

“Game developers are at the heart of bringing great games to our players, and we want them to find success on our platforms,” reads the post. “A clear, no-strings-attached revenue share means developers can bring more games to more players and find greater commercial success from doing so.”

This readjustment to the Windows Store cut matches its offer to that of the Epic Games Store. This puts pressure on Valve whose Steam distribution platform still takes a 30% cut on sales from its store (reduced to 25% a game hits $10 million in sales and to 20% for every sale after $50 million).

However, Microsoft acknowledges that its share of the market is still lagging behind. "We know that we still have a lot of work to do, but based on the response from both PC gamers and PC game developers, we think that we’re headed in the right direction for this community with the investments we’re making," writes Matt Booty in today's post.

In addition, he writes that they are bringing "more quality-of-life improvements to PC gamers, including improved install reliability and faster download speeds over the next few months." Details about those improvements will be shared at a later date.

What do you think of Microsoft's readjustment? Do you think Steam will follow suit?

:arrow: SOURCE

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
wOw, the competition is on FIYA! Both EGS and M$ store wants a cut of share from STEAM!

Obviously MORE CHOICES=benefits for us as final consumer!

Reactions: smallissue

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at least ms has the advantage of windows store being built in unlike epic which has been trying to grab market share from steam, that said I doubt anything will change.

Reactions: console and Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Interesting move. I do have to wonder if Steam will follow suit. I doubt this will entice more purchases, as the store still has issues with downloads not working and running pretty slow at times.

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP
In my honest opinion, Microsoft isn't like other greedy companies. When people didn't like the Xbox Live price increase. They listened unlike A lot of comapnies , do you think companies like Sony and Nintendo would listen. They wouldn't, Microsoft is more generous to customers and developers

Last edited by Deleted member 546149,

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my honest opinion, Microsoft isn't like other greedy companies. When people didn't like the Xbox Live price increase. They listened unlike A lot of comapnies , do you think companies like Sony and Microsoft would listen. They wouldn't, Microsoft is more generous to customers and developers
Simply put they have to listen because they are lagging behind

If Sony was faltering they would be quick to listen to the people too - you don't have to care as much when you are leading the pack

Also I think you got a typo mate "do you think companies like Sony and Microsoft would listen" - aren't we talking about Microsoft?

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP

If Sony was faltering they would be quick to listen to the people too - you don't have to care as much when you are leading the pack

Also I think you got a typo mate "do you think companies like Sony and Microsoft would listen" - aren't we talking about Microsoft?
Microsoft sales are still increasing. I do agree if the money gets over their heads they'll forget their customers but I hope that's not the case. Also, thank you for alerting me of the typo

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

Say what you want, they've been more pro-consumer than the other two for a few years and are showing no signs of letting up.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Say what you want, they've been more pro-consumer than the other two for a few years and are showing no signs of letting up.
They've also been lagging behind more than a few years

Remember who was the first to charge for online multiplayer

crazyxelite

Trophies
XP
Country
Gamepass is a big win, even tho uwp sucks. That combined with Devs getting more money. It's a big win. You only need to create a new email every month and for £1 you can get the whole catalog of games, there's no better deal for gamers at the moment.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
They've also been lagging behind more than a few years

Remember who was the first to charge for online multiplayer
Sony still does, too. I get they're lacking in certain areas, but Game Pass Ultimate is a much better buy than PS+ or whatever it is. Their live services on PC being free, and crossbuy with their Play Anywhere (and even crossplay).

We can nitpick all day everyday. They're getting better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans