1. 2,812

Front-page
    micro store.jpg

Starting this August 1st, Microsoft will take less of a profit from game sales through the Microsoft Store. As from that date, developers' share of Microsoft Store PC games sales net revenue will increase to 88%, from 70%. The news comes from a blog post shared today by Matt Booty, Head of Xbox Game Studios.

“Game developers are at the heart of bringing great games to our players, and we want them to find success on our platforms,” reads the post. “A clear, no-strings-attached revenue share means developers can bring more games to more players and find greater commercial success from doing so.”

This readjustment to the Windows Store cut matches its offer to that of the Epic Games Store. This puts pressure on Valve whose Steam distribution platform still takes a 30% cut on sales from its store (reduced to 25% a game hits $10 million in sales and to 20% for every sale after $50 million).

However, Microsoft acknowledges that its share of the market is still lagging behind. "We know that we still have a lot of work to do, but based on the response from both PC gamers and PC game developers, we think that we’re headed in the right direction for this community with the investments we’re making," writes Matt Booty in today's post.

In addition, he writes that they are bringing "more quality-of-life improvements to PC gamers, including improved install reliability and faster download speeds over the next few months." Details about those improvements will be shared at a later date.

What do you think of Microsoft's readjustment? Do you think Steam will follow suit?

:arrow: SOURCE

2. Discussion (37 replies)

3. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Italy
    wOw, the competition is on FIYA! Both EGS and M$ store wants a cut of share from STEAM!

Obviously MORE CHOICES=benefits for us as final consumer!

smallissue likes this.
  4. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

United Kingdom
    Busy old day with the news for you Prans. What next a story of the sneek release that happened today of SpongeBob: Krusty Cook-Off on the Switch.

Prans likes this.
  5. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]
    Global Moderator

United States
    at least ms has the advantage of windows store being built in unlike epic which has been trying to grab market share from steam, that said I doubt anything will change.

console and Memoir like this.
  6. Snintendog

Snintendog Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Dropping the UWP Format will help greatly same with allowing multiple install locations and basic working Friends lists. GOG and Steam still Kings of PC gaming doing what is right from the start.

krakenx, smallissue, Attila13 and 3 others like this.
  7. Prans

OP Prans Geek, gamer, human
    Senior Editor

I think this will be my last for today :D working on a review at the moment ;)

AmandaRose likes this.
  8. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Interesting move. I do have to wonder if Steam will follow suit. I doubt this will entice more purchases, as the store still has issues with downloads not working and running pretty slow at times.

Xzi, DuoForce and Prans like this.
  9. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Wish they would just sell x86 applications.

10. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

United Kingdom
    Oh interesting :rofl2:

Prans likes this.
  11. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    See? Less we use/buy Microsoft stuff, better they get. I will keep not using to help them get even better.
    (Second time I said that and this is working thus far)

smallissue and DuoForce like this.
  12. x65943

x65943 the end is nigh, buy doge coin
    Global Moderator

United States
    Big news, honestly game stores should not take a 30% cut - it's way too much imho

Also, man that is one unfortunate surname

shaunj66 and Memoir like this.
  13. WiiMiiSwitch

WiiMiiSwitch COBANERMITE FOREVER

United States
    In my honest opinion, Microsoft isn't like other greedy companies. When people didn't like the Xbox Live price increase. They listened unlike A lot of comapnies , do you think companies like Sony and Nintendo would listen. They wouldn't, Microsoft is more generous to customers and developers

Last edited by WiiMiiSwitch, Apr 29, 2021
  14. x65943

Global Moderator

United States
    Simply put they have to listen because they are lagging behind

If Sony was faltering they would be quick to listen to the people too - you don't have to care as much when you are leading the pack

Also I think you got a typo mate "do you think companies like Sony and Microsoft would listen" - aren't we talking about Microsoft?

WiiMiiSwitch likes this.
  15. MiiJack

MiiJack GBAtemp Fan

Madagascar
    As long as they don't do the Windows live, everything is good.

16. WiiMiiSwitch

WiiMiiSwitch COBANERMITE FOREVER

United States
    Microsoft sales are still increasing. I do agree if the money gets over their heads they'll forget their customers but I hope that's not the case. Also, thank you for alerting me of the typo

17. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Say what you want, they've been more pro-consumer than the other two for a few years and are showing no signs of letting up.

18. x65943

Global Moderator

United States
    They've also been lagging behind more than a few years

Remember who was the first to charge for online multiplayer

19. crazyxelite

crazyxelite GBAtemp Regular

Gamepass is a big win, even tho uwp sucks. That combined with Devs getting more money. It's a big win. You only need to create a new email every month and for £1 you can get the whole catalog of games, there's no better deal for gamers at the moment.

Memoir likes this.
  20. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Sony still does, too. I get they're lacking in certain areas, but Game Pass Ultimate is a much better buy than PS+ or whatever it is. Their live services on PC being free, and crossbuy with their Play Anywhere (and even crossplay).

We can nitpick all day everyday. They're getting better.

21. PatrickD85

PatrickD85 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Interesting, it seems M$ as they are known by many is seeing the light more and more.
    (Honest point; for the first time in all of Xbox existence I can say I am part of their ecosystem as well ... and I am happy with what they bring to the table this generation)

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Microsoft, Microsoft, reduce