GameStop to Offer In-Store Digital PC Games

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by SamAsh07, Jul 28, 2011.

Jul 28, 2011
  1. SamAsh07
    OP

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    GameStop said today it will soon allow customers to purchase digital PC games in-store with any accepted form of payment, including trade credit and GameStop gift cards.

The plan will roll out this August with the release of Deus Ex: Human Revolution with "many titles" following.

"This is a great illustration of how the digital distribution model and in-store experience really complement one another," said Steve Nix, GameStop's general manager of digital distribution.

"We have seen great success selling DLC for console titles in our stores, so expanding on that model and helping customers discover digitally distributed PC games in stores is a natural fit."[/p]

[​IMG] Source

2. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    So, would you be buying a code?

3. ShawnTRods

Member ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Probably.
    Or you bring your external HDD to them, and they put the content lol.

Not sure [​IMG]

4. SamAsh07
    OP

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    Lol!! HDD comment +1

They are trying "Sony way". Wasn't Sony the one who claimed they want the future to be digital. No hard copies of games? Lol.

5. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    This idea... sucks.

Why go to Gamestop and get it full price when I can go to Steam on my computer and download the same games for (probably) 75% off?

6. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    Let me be the first to say in these exact words that that idea is fucking stupid! GS is going full mong on us. What's next DLC kiosks? I remember when you could buy a hard copy of DLC like Halo 2's expansion pack. Those were the days...

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Forgive me if it was in the gamestop statement or something but where did it mention it would be at full price?

I dislike digital distribution but this does address one of my main gripes (inflexibility of payment)... address the lack of a decent second hand market and you nearly have won me over.

8. purechaos996

Member purechaos996 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Actually, I support this idea....I mean obviously you can't compete with steam and its pricing however the fact that they will accept many forms of payment is really awesome [​IMG] Plus if your buying the game day 1 I doubt steam will have it on sale anyway so not a problem there.

I do still think that buying a disc is better overall, but since its cheaper for them to do it digitally I guess there is not much I can say.

9. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I seen 3 different gamestops doing this for months now. So they're just officially letting everyone know.

10. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Makes sense. It's probably for those kids to young/don't have a paypal/bank account of their own. I'd still rather own an actual disc than a digital download.

11. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    What I mean to say is that online stores like Steam normally offer (most) PC games at some sort of discount. Gamestop, on the other hand, doesn't.

I actually have a flaw in my logic however; I never really thought that they would discount digital games, when they very well could. So I was wrong. [​IMG]

12. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Freshâ„¢

United States
    Steam regularly launches games at 10% off, or offers a pre-order price of 10% off. Steam is most likely going to remain cheaper, and not require a trip to the store.

13. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a Steamworks title. It will need to be activated on Steam to be playable no matter where you buy it from. Essentially you would be buying the same game as a normal retail Steamworks copy except you don't get a DVD containing the game data. If this is cheaper than a copy with a DVD then sure that's nice, but if not then it's just a fancy-sounding ripoff with no actual benefits.

Although I guess it would be nice if they started selling titles that do not exist as retail copies.

14. purplesludge

Member purplesludge anyone have any ideas for this space

United States
    Sounds like gamestop