OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So few shits are given that I'm not even copy-pasting the USN layout.

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/articles/122/1227460p1.html
Staff edit- just to clarify this is the news/articles site that was technically part of IGN and not the matchmaking/lobby service of the same name that was popular among many older games "back in the day" and a lot of newer freeware and heavily modified versions of other games; that division was sold off some time back and looks to be continuing.

----

14 years... that's older than a bunch of Tempers (judging from the recent post quality).

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Good riddance. I never liked GameSpy.
Mostly because older games always want me to install the shitty GameSpy Arcade and I've accidentally let games install it multiple times.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I remember using GameSpot for Fallout: Tactics matchmaking... it was actually a good service from what I can recall, shame it's getting closed down... then again, the "need" for it is long expired.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this mean Borderlands 1 matchmaking is going to be shut down? Or just the site?
I just bought this game, too. At least there's gameranger for virtual LAN games...

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am surprised it didn't happen sooner to be honest. So few games use it, most developers use their own independent servers as they can easily control all content and moderate users if there are people violating rules and hacking.

dalc789

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamespy was pretty nice back in the day. Too bad they've kinda become obsolete as a service in recent years. I'm really surprised this hadn't happened sooner.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
who cares, we have steam now

Pretty much the reason GameSpy was doomed. Steam made it entirely obsolete. Though I think gamespy did more than just host games with its arcade, but that's probably the only thing people would remember.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I didn't read gamespy much, only from time to time, but it is sad whenever any website that has been around as long as gamespy has closes down in my opinion. Curiously though the article only mentions gamespy as a news site being closed down, nothing about the actual gamespy service (unless I missed something, I just woke up).

Rockhoundhigh

Man with a mission
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, you're talking about the wrong GameSpy. This one was the PC-centric sister site of IGN which unlike the latter I actually quite enjoyed reading. This website and the online matchmaking middleware you're all talking about have not been the same company for quite a while.

cuamoose

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I would like to point out that the GameSpy service is not shutting down, that got bought out by a different company a while ago. It's just the blog shutting down. Anyway, it's sad to learn of its demise, and it's surprising to hear it existed in the first place, I never knew about it.

EDIT: Damnit, I got ninja'd.

LockeCole_101629

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I've use their service for battle realms long time ago
game sites review/bash/portal is just too much.

they survive that long because ign take over it

14years on internet is almost like 1000 years real life time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Looks like a brown recluse