Games that wasn't released in your territory but discovered, and now you like it.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
US gamers never got the Micro Machines games on the Megadrive (Genesis) aside from the first game - wow, they were a massive highlight of Sega's 16bit machine too...

Otherwise ...like Cyan said, loads! The SNES had 5 Ganbare Goemon games (one was a spinoff) whereas the West only got the first, called Mystical Ninja, and featuring 'Kid Ying' and 'Dr Yang' - just WTF...:lol: #2 on the SFC was a personal highlight for me, and one of my fave SNES games. Really though, I could be here all day just on the SNES.. Let's not even start on the PC-Engine/TG16 - the console itself never released in the UK for starters...

Reactions: Cyan

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometime I wish they just released the game untranslated (ok, not in japan, but at least in english). doing a bad job at translating to horrible French is sometime worse.
I tried few times to play Breath of Fire 3 (or 4?) in French, but it's just not possible to bear the bad grammar and wrong word choice. I think even google engines could do a better job.
for example, they didn't even made Male/female differences, while French is heavily based on that.
I think the problem is how some games get translated from many languages to another provides some problems. This one being the most famous one.

aojkj2zflrdtrldnldfc.jpg

In street fighter II the game was translated from Japanese > chinese > English. This lead to this quote Ryu says to defeated opponents that was later fixed. It should say "You must defeat my shoryuken to stand a chance" Referencing his move in the game. The move shoryuken translates to "Rising Dragon Punch" but Shen long is also called a dragon in China, sounds familiar? (Dragonball has a dragon called "SHENRON" in english version)

This was confusing to people who thought Shen long was his master or some secret character in the game rather than his move. This is how some games are translated. They get translated from various languages sometimes and can often lead to bad context when not corrected. I mentioned some of this briefly in my Terranigma review. :P

Reactions: x65943

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the problem is how some games get translated from many languages to another provides some problems. This one being the most famous one.

In street fighter II the game was translated from Japanese > chinese > English. This lead to this quote Ryu says to defeated opponents that was later fixed. It should say "You must defeat my shoryuken to stand a chance" Referencing his move in the game. The move shoryuken translates to "Rising Dragon Punch" but Shen long is also called a dragon in China, sounds familiar? (Dragonball has a dragon called "SHENRON" in english version)

This was confusing to people who thought Shen long was his master or some secret character in the game rather than his move. This is how some games are translated. They get translated from various languages sometimes and can often lead to bad context when not corrected. I mentioned some of this briefly in my Terranigma review. :P

This bad translation, was the reason for the creation of Akuma and Gouken, since the fans asked so hard for them.

Sheng Long (シェンロン Shenron?) is a character once thought to appear in the original Street Fighter II game. He is regarded as the most famous character hoax not only in the history of Street Fighter, but in all of fighting games.

The name "Sheng Long" was based on a mistranslation of "Shoryuken", found in one of Ryu's early victory quotes, "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance". The large amount of fans questioning the quote lead to a rumor spread by Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM) that Sheng Long was actually a secret boss character fought under extreme conditions. The whole hoax would become one of the most famous hoaxes and video game legends in gaming history, spreading globally.

The hoax influenced the creation of both Akuma and Gouken as characters in the Street Fighter series, with the former appearing in Super Street Fighter II Turbo as a secret boss. Fan appeal for the character affected later Capcom titles, with public requests for the inclusion of Sheng Long in an actual video game leading to the consideration of his inclusion in the The Movie video game and years later resulting in the appearance of Gouken as both a secret boss and playable character in Street Fighter IV.

The name Sheng Long comes from a mistranslated portion of Ryu's Shoryuken; "shō ryū" (昇 龍, "rising dragon") from Shōryūken (昇龍拳, "Rising Dragon Fist"), Ryu's flying uppercut, is "shēng lóng" in Chinese pinyin. This was carried into one of Ryu's quotes to defeated opponents in the English localization of the 1991 arcade game Street Fighter II, changing the Japanese quote, "If you cannot overcome the Rising Dragon Fist, you cannot win!" (昇龍拳を破らぬ限り、おまえに勝ち目はない Shōryūken wo yaburanu kagiri, omae ni kachime wa nai!?) to "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance." As a result players were given the impression that Ryu was referring to an actual person instead of the physical attack itself.

Source: http://streetfighter.wikia.com/

Reactions: x65943

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi: