Hacking Discussion Games require Internet Validation on 6.1.0?

Kadji

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
With the release of FW 6.1.0 there are a rising number of people that can't start their .NSP installed games, even with the latest updates installed.

After thinking about it for some time I may have found the reason behind this behaviour:

With FW 6.0.0 Nintendo included the option to have a primary and secondary Switch which can be used for gamesharing.
The secondary Switch requires an active Internet Connection while playing Games from the primary Switch. This is done to prevent massive Game Sharing with other people.

Could it be possible that the poeple who are experiencing the online verification issue updated from FW 5.X to 6.X with the Homebrew FW Installer?
Maybe their "primary" switch never got flagged as beeing the "primary" Switch?
Since the end user does not have to do anything to register his/her Nintendo Switch as the primary Console I think this happens automatically after installing the update and talking to Nintendos Server.
IF the end User is not able to talk to the Nintendo Servers because of a Superban his/her Switch may be Stuck as beeing a "secondary" Switch as soon as the FW 6.X is installed, which means that ALL games that are associated with his/her Profile will require the Online Verfication.

Maybe this happens only during an official install, maybe this happens because of homebrew FW installation...

So my question for the People who have those Problems are:
- What FW version are you right now?
- How did you Update to that Version? (Homebrew or official Update?)
- Have you ever linked your Switch to a Nintendo Account?
- What games are showing those problems (new Games? Or old games that where previously installed, too?)

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the release of FW 6.1.0 there are a rising number of people that can't start their .NSP installed games, even with the latest updates installed.

After thinking about it for some time I may have found the reason behind this behaviour:

With FW 6.0.0 Nintendo included the option to have a primary and secondary Switch which can be used for gamesharing.
The secondary Switch requires an active Internet Connection while playing Games from the primary Switch. This is done to prevent massive Game Sharing with other people.

Could it be possible that the poeple who are experiencing the online verification issue updated from FW 5.X to 6.X with the Homebrew FW Installer?
Maybe their "primary" switch never got flagged as beeing the "primary" Switch?
Since the end user does not have to do anything to register his/her Nintendo Switch as the primary Console I think this happens automatically after installing the update and talking to Nintendos Server.
IF the end User is not able to talk to the Nintendo Servers because of a Superban his/her Switch may be Stuck as beeing a "secondary" Switch as soon as the FW 6.X is installed, which means that ALL games that are associated with his/her Profile will require the Online Verfication.

Maybe this happens only during an official install, maybe this happens because of homebrew FW installation...

So my question for the People who have those Problems are:
- What FW version are you right now?
- How did you Update to that Version? (Homebrew or official Update?)
- Have you ever linked your Switch to a Nintendo Account?
- What games are showing those problems (new Games? Or old games that where previously installed, too?)
Nice tactic Nintendo [emoji14]

Boostnek9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belize
You should have a question mark in the title since it's a question.

This would defeat the purpose of being a mobile console since you wouldn't be able to start a title on the go.

Reactions: d4mation and T-hug

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This would defeat the purpose of being a mobile console since you wouldn't be able to start a title on the go.
Does not seem like a problem at all just turned on airplane mode ran every full nsp and they ran just fine

manoucoco

Trophies
XP
Country
France
fw 5.1.0 Reinx via Choicedujour.

Game: Nes Online

Appearance of the account verification request online by reinstalling the game a second time via Tinfoil NSP "Nes Online" forgetting to put the airplane mode offline ...
Linked account since fw 1.0
I can not play it anymore.

fw 5.1.0 Reinx via Choixdujour.
Jeu : Nes Online

Apparition de la demande de vérification du compte en ligne en réinstallant une seconde fois le jeu via Tinfoil en NSP "Nes Online" en oubliant de mettre le mode avion hors ligne...
je ne peux plus y jouer.
Compte lié depuis fw 1.0

Last edited by manoucoco,

Kadji

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Excuse me? Have you even read what I wrote?
It is a FACT that on a secondary Switch, as soon as you Start a Game that was bought with your Account on you primary Switch, online Verification IS required.
The Switch checks if the owner of the game is currently playing anything with his account. If the secondary Switch can not do this check (either because you have no Internet OR because your Switch is Superbanned) the Software won't start.

And this may be the reason why some users report problems with games that worked without a problem before...

Dear OP,

Your profile pic fits the topic of this thread perfectly.

Thanks, even though I don't think that this was meant in a nice way but rather as an insult.

Edit: It seems like I can't change the Thread name on my own.
Can a moderator please change the thread title and add a Questionmark to the end of it? Thank you very much.

Last edited by Kadji,

_______

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It is a FACT that on a secondary Switch, as soon as you Start a Game that was bought with your Account on you primary Switch, online Verification IS required.
The Switch checks if the owner of the game is currently playing anything with his account. If the secondary Switch can not do this check (either because you have no Internet OR because your Switch is Superbanned) the Software won't start.

I think their method is 100% logically right, just that a bit of dick but understandable.

All DRM system has limited authorized devices that can use the licensed content, whether it's music, video or games. e.g. iTunes let you authorize up to 10 devices to play the content, for Spotify the number is 5. They limit the number so you can't go share with everyone that they can't make profits. The number was calculated to make sure it's "fair" (for them to make the desire profit per license fee) use and also give a a bit flexibility. DRM license comes with a valid time period (so it won't go forever, thus the authorized "digital" (D) "right" (R) can be truly "manageable" (M) by the content "owner") and usually bind to a specific hardware device. To them, you don't own the content, you just own the "right" to use, under their specific condition (EULA) only. You paid and agreed of those terms (ToS) that you usually simple click NEXT w/o reading.

So under all the above, in order to let you re-assigned the authorized devices in case you might wanted to "move" from one to another, they need to do the process through the content owner to make sure this is "allowed" w/o exceeding your allowance device number. All of them need to do it in a way to interact with the content owner, either through the Internet (common these days) or sometimes through phones (those offline software activations like Windows). For Nintendo, they use the Internet, and your allowance is ONE. They did the same as Apple or Microsoft, just that the number is so the same Windows activation (aka ONE). When you start a shared game one device, they deactivate all the DRM license on the other so you can only play on one device. It's logical because unlike music and movie licenses, the game license is way more expensive and sharing will make great impact on their profit margin.

Now since both device that installed the shared contents were the same Nintendo account, that means such user is responsible for their behaviour legally. Once you can't honer the ToS (either unable to check-in your unused license for another or modified the device in any way and got banned), they can deny service. Since there's no way they can stop the authorized device from playing offline until the license expires, it's the only way to make sure you only active one copy at a time. If you don't like it, don't install them on 2 devices, it's your choice. (Otherwise, we can just share one copy from the eShop and all other people play using Airplane Mode and see Nintendo go bankrupt.)

For me, I really hate DRM not because of the sake of piracy, but they fact that they put their profits before people's freedom. But at the same time, it's a business. And in business, people can't be trusted but the profit can. They choose what's good for them, as all the business does. Simple as that. I'll just install those dumped NSP on my super banned Switch and play the copy I bought from eShop only one that non-homebrew one.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wouldn't make sense cause if i borrow a physical cart from a friend i'm screwed especiallyu let's go also places like gamefly will tear into nintendo but nintendo did try to ban game rentals in the 90's (and they are banned in japan)

Last edited by chrisrlink, , Reason: more food for thought
Reactions: wiewiec

xabier

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wouldn't make sense cause if i borrow a physical cart from a friend i'm screwed especiallyu let's go also places like gamefly will tear into nintendo but nintendo did try to ban game rentals in the 90's (and they are banned in japan)

The only way to get digital games (nsp) is online, so you cant borrow a nsp from a friend.

Game sharing with xci (cartridge dumps) doesn't work, so there is no reason for online validation for xci games.

Reactions: hamoudaxp

pcam90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I think im having this issue, im currently on 6.1.0 and some of the nso i installed they require me to go online its weird cuz is just specific games...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I may take a shower to remove all the sunburns in my body