Games freezing

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by reakt, Jul 8, 2009.

Jul 8, 2009

Games freezing by reakt at 8:46 AM (1,695 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. reakt
    OP

Newcomer reakt Newbie

Australia
    Hi guys,

I am using Configurable usb loader cfg32, based on Waninkoko's 1.5, with cIOS38_rev13. I have 2 different USB hard drives, but both give similar results. Most games will freeze at some point, usually when going through the menus before starting actual game play in games such as Mario Kart, Mario Strikers or Mario Party. I seem to be able to play Wii Play with 1 wiimote connected, but if I have 2 connected, the game keeps going, but the wiimotes become unresponsive, and I have to reboot the wii (home menu button etc doesn't work). Warioware smooth moves can play for a few minutes, but eventually freezes with an error saying 'Unable to save data'. I have got some games to work better using 002 fix option in Configurable usb loader, but it's still hit and miss. All of the games I've mentioned are supposedly working for others, though I'm not sure if anyone has tested for 2 player compatability.

Basically what I want to know is if anyone has any idea of how to increase my compatability.. is it my hard drives, the loader or the IOS? Anyone with a sure-fire, always-works combination? Tell me and I'll try and copy it.

It's a PAL wii on system menu 3.1

Thanks

2. silkyskeeter

Member silkyskeeter GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Think it is just your launcher that is the problem..... try a different usb launcher I hear Gx is the one with the highest capatiblity

3. imapterodactyl

Member imapterodactyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    1) What type of HDs do you have, and what's on them for partitions?
    2) How are you going about copying your games? From discs? From isos? Transferred from another WBFS drive?

Try another loader 1st, but I don't think that the configurable loader is the issue. If you get the same results with Wiiflow, GX, etc, then at least you're off to a good start, and can check that possibility off the list. If you copied the games from one WBFS drive to another, the games may have been corrupted on drive 1, and therefore will be broken on the second drive as well. If you used an old version of WBFS or an old loader to copy the games, they may have been corrupted by the "delete bug" as well. I've also found an issue with WBFS Manager where if you copy from 1 drive to another, and have a FAT drive as the indirect temporary drive, WBFS Manager may extract the 1st 4GB of the game (which should be 4.5GB), then transfer the broken game without catching the problem (temporary drive needs to be NTFS, as FAT only supports a max of 4GB for an individual file). It also has this issue if using the "extract iso" option to a FAT drive. Look at your ISO file sizes. If they're all the exact same 4GB size, then there's your problem. And in more than one case, the result is a game in which I could get to the strap screen, but the game locks at that point.

I also don't think you have a "spindown" issue, as it would only cause issues in a few games, after being paused for a length of time... which certainly doesn't sound like your problem. I'm heavily leaning toward corrupt games.

Finally, be aware that with cIOS rev13, you have to actually power down the Wii between each game loaded via USB, or else the next game you try to load will freeze. Hopefully this will be fixed in 14. If you wish, you may step down to rev10, which is very stable and doesn't have that issue. But you'll also lose USB accessory support, and won't be able to play a few games that require rev13 to run. You could also use rev12, but eventually you may wish to use NeoGAMMA, which is incompatible with it.

4. MikeyMike

Newcomer MikeyMike Newbie

Canada
    Same problem as you.
    When running games, they all(or at least most of them) seem to freeze at one point.
    I use CoverFloader for my games, but I've also tried the original 1.5 loader and I got exactly the same results. I'm using cIOS rev13b. I really have no clue as to what I should do. Any help would be appreciated greatly. Is it my Hard Drive? Is it my Wii? ...

5. reakt
    OP

Newcomer reakt Newbie

Australia
    hi imapterodactyl, thanks for the reply

my first hd is a 80gb ide seagate inside a phillips usb enclosure, and the second is a seagate 500gb sata inside a buffalo usb enclosure. the ide has a 70gb wbfs primary partition, with a 10gb fat partition. the sata drive has 400 gb ntfs partition and a 100gb wbfs partition.
    some games i have ripped directly to the hard drives from the wii using the loaders. others i have ripped with my Lg Gdr-8163b, and others were burnt backups that i ripped back with imgburn. the drives were formatted and had games transferred to them with the wbfs.exe command line tool.

i have now tried 4 different loaders and cIOS's rev 10, 12 and 13, all with varying results. some games work with some, others work with others. I am pretty convinced that it's the cIOS that makes the difference. also i was not aware that i had to power down the wii between games with rev 13.

isn't neo gamma a backup loader for burnt discs? if so, i will never use it as i have a wiikey installed.

unless there is anything here that i've said that i'm doing wrong, i'm just going to persist with cIOS 13 and the games that i can't get to load, i will have just have to play from burnt discs until compatability is better. thanks again

6. grentuu

Member grentuu GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Seagates are set to spin down by default. There is a seagate utility which you can download from their site which allows you to turn off spin down function. Unforunately you will have to reconnect to pc and format back to ntfs/FAT32 to install. Once installed turn off the spindown using the software. You can then format back to WBFS and try again.

Link http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools

I have 2 Seagate drives that were having the same problem but both work fine now.

As previously stated, it may be corrupt games but if you remove any and all possibilities 1 by 1 then what remains will be the issue.

P.s. I am using Wiikey, Coverfloader and Rev13a and all games work fine with No freeze

7. TheSainted1

Newcomer TheSainted1 Newbie

United States
    where in the Seagate tools does it show to shut off spindown timer. I used that link and I'm having issues with a 320gb IDE in a thermaltake enclosure (game freezing). I would like to try shutting off the spin down timer but no where in the Seatools software do I see an option for that. Please advise me what to do. thanks.