Homebrew Games and Music simultaneously.

player1244

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
The DS isn't made for multitasking, so sorry, but no
cry.gif

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DS doesn't have an operating system running in the background, so once you load a *.nds file, whatever was previously loaded gets shut out of memory. So no, you can't run a media player and a game simultaneously.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's worth noting that DSLinux is capable of multitasking if you have slot-2 RAM available. In one virtual shell I can play back some mp3 files while I browse the web in another shell and type on IRC in a third. Of course the music gets choppy whenever I load a webpage since the DS isn't really powerful enough to handle it gracefully, but the fact remains that it's possible.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This might sound stupid, but there is a way you can play your iPod songs using a double sided headphone jack cable.

Stick one end into your iPod, the other in your DS. Configure the cable for best sound, and play your iPod nano songs while playing your DS.

I have experimented and it only works on DS Phats. If you want, I have a video which was back from 2006 to show you.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen that video, but from what I understand, the hardware was not meant to do that and you can easily fry the speakers that way. Haven't tested it myself so I don't know for certain, but I'm probably not going to try it just for the sake of safety.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My speakers are just fine. After doing, maybe 7 tests of it. The speakers are fine. I don't understand how it can fry the speakers if you're just inputting sound from a source. That's like putting in a DS Headset with a Microphone, and blowing in the microphone and the DS reads it.

But overall, my DS Phat is dead due to some F2 fuse problems. Also some screen problems as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: wait...my gbatemp acc is almost 10 yrs old lmao