GameCube Imports on a Wii with no mod or Freeloade

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
It doesn't work with backups but supposedly does work on NTSC consoles trying to boot certain NTSC-J games.

I tried this yesterday, and I got it working second try - I think the longer you wait to press start, the longer you have to swap discs (obviously don't leave it too late) - but it's still practically no time at all, if you don't have a second person you're gonna be dropping your remote pretty fast.

Take note that if you boot a NTSC game on a PAL console like this, it seems to be forced into PAL mode, therefore borders (+slower?). The real use for this is booting those unbootable freeloader and AR discs, then you won't have the above issue
smile.gif

Gaisuto

Lose 2 Levels.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just tried it with Naruto just now and it did work, although I got an error at the title screen afterwords. But I got the same error with the game sometimes using a Freeloader sometimes too. I'm assuming doing the same fix as the Freeloader (Take the Disc out before you reach the title screen) will work.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've always been one to not believe anything till I see it first-hand, so I tried booting a gc backup. Here are my useless tests:

I have a NTSC-U Wii.

First test, which has already been discussed did not work.

Tried swapping NTSC-U GC original with NTSC-U GC backup. The disc inserts, gets read, then shuts the machine off.

Second test, of course it worked.

Tried swapping NTSC-U GC original with NTSC-U GC original (different games, game 1 was Soul Calibur, game 2 was SSBM), disc inserts, is read, and boots.

Third test, I was just curious.

Tried swapping NTSC-U GC original with NTSC-U Wii original (SSBM -> Wii Sports). Disc inserts, is read, and spins, screen is black.

So then I got more curious.

Tried swapping NTSC-U Wii disc (wii sports) with NTSC-U Wii disc (Wii Play). Dunno if it's cause I wasn't fast enough or what, but I don't think it works at all. As soon as you hit start (after ejecting) and swap the drive doesn't spin the swapped disc, it just resets.

Don't think that this helps anyone at all, but I just wanted to let people know that surely GC backups DO NOT work.

TheStump

Got Wood?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ok for a heads up to help people

-re-insert the new (other region) game before the blue light appears.
(maybe this should have been stated in the main post)

i can't help but imagine Nintendo are fixing this as we speak.

iori-kyo-k

Trophies
Website
www.jeux-france.com
XP
Country
France
Works great for me, after 5-6 attempts to find the great timing. Hell yeah the swaping disc method must be done quickly @_@ But for example, "Naruto Gekido Ninja Taisen 3" doesn't boot, the screen stays black after the swaping method.

If I swap with my Freeloader I have a way to play NTSC GC games on my Wii, so that's the way I'll do ^^ And for the details, the Freeloader on the Wii shows signs of graphical bugs, nothing that bad, but that's good to know.

By the way, got some strange font (bugged one I guess) on the "Create a game data" screen in the beginning of Naruto 3. No others bugs or lags ingame, great really !

Gotta try with other NTSC GC games to see if only Naruto 3 doesn't boot directly without going on the "Freeloader" case.

So, anyone tried GC backups ? And what about Wii imports and Wii backups ? ;P

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Take note that if you boot a NTSC game on a PAL console like this, it seems to be forced into PAL mode, therefore borders (+slower?). The real use for this is booting those unbootable freeloader and AR discs, then you won't have the above issue
smile.gif

Yes I tried both method :
Direct boot of imported game : run 17% slower and with thin black borders (not as large as other pal games consoles, maybe because I'm using component cable on wii)
Booting to Freeloader first then swapp again with imported game : run perfectly in full screen and full speed.

Can anyone confirm if this works on 2.1E Firmware?

Yes it's working, my Wii is up to date.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson