OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia

GameCube Imports on a Wii with no mod or Freeloader? No Problem!

Play import GC games on your Wii with no modification or software

wwgcregionfree.jpg

So you want to play GameCube imports on your Wii but don't want to mod your console or buy freeloader? No problem!

One clever person has discovered a disk swap method that allows you to do just that! No hardware modification or additional software is needed. For the moment this swap method is confirmed working on PAL Wii's (it could quite possibly work on NTSC Wii's) for booting original GameCube titles of another region, and it will also let you boot those pesky Freeloader and Action Replay discs that wouldn't work. However Wii imports don't appear to work using the method. Here's what you have to do:

• Insert a GameCube game from your region into the Wii.
  • Go to the Disc Channel and hover your cursor over the Start button (keep it on the Start button).
  • Eject the GameCube disc, the Start button should remain active for a brief second, press it as late as possible.
  • Quickly insert a GameCube disc from another region (you have very limited time).

If done correctly you should be able to boot the import GameCube game. Apparently this only works with GameCube games as the Wii takes a moment to switch to GameCube mode. The original disk from your region tricks the Wii into thinking it just booted a game with your region. Enjoy playing your imports!

icon11.gif
Source

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I tried it before and postet on the other thread as well

1. you need to be REALLY FAST as Superman !!!
tongue.gif

2. at least for me it does not work Pal to NTSC-J
i have to use this method with the Freeloader first than i can insert Japanese game.
I testet it with Naruto Gekito Ninja Taisen 2,3,4 and Bleach and none worked, but the Freeloader which didn't work before as well worked all the times ....

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Eh, couldn't get it to work. How are you supposed to quickly switch the discs without leaving fingerprints on them or something?

No big deal though, I already have a JP and a EU GC, the JP one being region-switch'd...

Filb

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Works on my Japanese Wii (booted European F-Zero GX), but does NOT work on my European Wii (tried to boot Japanese Pokémon Box)... just getting a black screen every time.

By the way, I updated my European Wii yesterday. Not sure if that's the cause.

Edit: My European Wii doesn't boot my only US GC game either.
Edit 2: It does boot the Freeloader disc using this method, though.

(Pikachu025: I'm not interested in warez and modchips, that's why I'm not really active here.)

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
...Would it be possible for Nintendo to fix this with a firmware-update? I mean, I can see this trick failing if the "Start"-button would be greyed out earlier...

(By the way, I totally didn't expect to see you here, Filb...)

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i tried this and it didn't work for me, i tried booting the old action replay and every time it just resets and goes back to the health and safety screen
frown.gif
however when i use the action replay for gamecube that is compatible for wii and then swap my disc with the old action replay it boots but my games are unplayable as the gameplay is super slow and skips
frown.gif
i did this method with advanced gameport aswell and same result very skippy, i guess i will be sticking to my old gamecube in the future.

QUOTE said:
Would that work with wii discs?

no, only gamecube orignal imports only.

Helmut

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Backups can't work without a modchips since an unmoded console can't read the gamecode of a backup, so the dvd can't be recognize by the console.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Why is there even a region check for GameCube games ... one reason i bought the Wii was cuz a friend told me they will have an update to play GameCube games from any region

Helmut

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Why is there even a region check for GameCube games ... one reason i bought the Wii was cuz a friend told me they will have an update to play GameCube games from any region
Yes, it was rumored that the Wii would by zone free. That would have been awsome. I hope there will be a good solution to play import since there's nearly nothing good in europe :'(.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's a great news !
(and it's my 100th post, I'm a member now)

My freeloader wasn't working on my PAL Wii to boot Sky of Arcadia US.
With that swapping method it's working, Yoohoo
smile.gif

I had to try about 5 times before matching the good speed.
It's a very short time to do all the swapping things but worth it.

GC US on PAL wii -> working.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
I never managed to succeed..
frown.gif

I'm successful in putting in the cd before the blue light of the drive comes on.. however, I only get a black screen after this...
nothing happens

HOWEVER.. I did successfully boot my Action Replay and Freeloader this way allowing me to boot NTSC games!
biggrin.gif

A great swapping technique... now I can play my Megaman Collections!
biggrin.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
When I wasn't doing it quick enough, the Wii was just rebooting to the main screen with "press A" and warning screen.

You will have to clic start almost on the same time you eject the GC game, and will have to swapp it right when it comes out of the wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Chrono Trigger