Freeman93

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hey guys,

I'm seeking advice on a recent Picoboot install attempt on a Gamecube. I ordered a complete Picoboot set off of Ali with a purple Rp-2040 picoboot clone, SD2SP2 and 22 awg (I think) wires.
My soldering wasn't that good to be honest, but the gamecube booted and showed the orange light, pico also had the green led go on. But the screen remained black. I didn't touch it anymore and let a friend resolder everything, he did a really good job, but still the same problem. I tried shortening the wires since I've read in webhdx's documentation that this might be a problem (the wires that came with the set were 25cm), but this didn't change anything, still blackscreening. I also tried to boot without the Pico by desoldering the 3V line, but I'm still getting the blackscreen.

Now my question to you guys, is the Gamecube salvagable in any way? Did I ruin the IPL chip, or what could have caused this? I never went over 340C while soldering, so could I still have ruined it, or might there be some other cause? The ipl can't be replaced by itself, so it would need a completely new board, right? Or is there a way to bypass the ipl, since the pico is basically an ipl replacement?

Any advice is much appreciated!
Freeman

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the Pi Pico does not power on when putting it into BOOT mode on the PC, then its fried. When installing the chip, I suggest using 28AWG for power and ground, and 30AWG single core for the BIOS points. Alternatively, buy a QSB.

adamsmith

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys,

I'm seeking advice on a recent Picoboot install attempt on a Gamecube. I ordered a complete Picoboot set off of Ali with a purple Rp-2040 picoboot clone, SD2SP2 and 22 awg (I think) wires.
My soldering wasn't that good to be honest, but the gamecube booted and showed the orange light, pico also had the green led go on. But the screen remained black. I didn't touch it anymore and let a friend resolder everything, he did a really good job, but still the same problem. I tried shortening the wires since I've read in webhdx's documentation that this might be a problem (the wires that came with the set were 25cm), but this didn't change anything, still blackscreening. I also tried to boot without the Pico by desoldering the 3V line, but I'm still getting the blackscreen.

Now my question to you guys, is the Gamecube salvagable in any way? Did I ruin the IPL chip, or what could have caused this? I never went over 340C while soldering, so could I still have ruined it, or might there be some other cause? The ipl can't be replaced by itself, so it would need a completely new board, right? Or is there a way to bypass the ipl, since the pico is basically an ipl replacement?

Any advice is much appreciated!
Freeman
Thought mine was toast. After install, no video… checked all my connections against diagram, multimetered everything to confirm solder didnt link up another pin/pad… shortened wires, and increased ground to no avail…. Turns out one of the wires on the chip was shorting out on the heat sink… not sure why I thought to multimeter the heat sink… after correcting this issue, booted up fine…

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto