Gamecube Backups on Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by MadScientist87, Sep 11, 2019.

1. MadScientist87
    OP

MadScientist87 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2019
    United States
    So I've looked in all the places I know to look, including here, and haven't found the information I need. Tired of searching.

I have a Wii with Homebrew installed. I play NES through N64 as well as Wii backups, but my mother has Gamecube games she'd like to play and I'm having some confusion on how to run them.

As I understand it I need to install Nintendont and configure my Wii backup USB loader to use it to run the GC backups.

However, if I'm not mistaken, my Wii backups have to be on a WBFS formatted drive and the GC backups need to be on NTFS. That's an issue because the Wii only has two USB ports and only one is usable for backups. So:

Is it possible to use one hard drive with two partitions, one WBFS and one NTFS, for both my Wii and GC backups? Or am I just going to have to be switching between drives forever?

2. toxic9

toxic9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 13, 2016
    If you have gamecube discs, just insert them on the console DVD drive.

3. Flame

Flame Me > You

GBAtemp Patron
    Flame is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 15, 2008
  4. toxic9

Dec 13, 2016
    You cannot use ntfs formated HDDs.
    You can use one Fat32 formatted HDD for Wii/Gamecube/Emulators games.

5. MadScientist87
    OP

MadScientist87 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2019
    United States
    Ok, news to me, awesome. I thought Wii had to be WBFS. Is there a specific backup manager I need? Seems like the last one I used wouldn't read GC backups and wouldn't write to a drive that wasn't WBFS.

Also her discs are damaged, severely. Toddlers and puppies, what can ya do.

6. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Washington State
    Sorry to say, @toxic9 is wrong. You can indeed have an NTFS partition. In fact, I have mine set up with two partitions, one FAT32 for GameCube, NTFS for unsplit Wii games. Flame has you pointed in the right direction with Nintendont.

7. toxic9

Dec 13, 2016
    You can use Wiiflow if you use emullators of older consoles, or usbloaderGX if you only want wii/gc games.
    Look for instructions for setting up the HDD.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

NTFS is different of WBFS. You misunderstood.

8. MadScientist87
    OP

MadScientist87 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2019
    United States
    Ok but are they wrong that it can't be NTFS, or are they wrong that the Wii games can be on FAT32? Because if I can have all the games run from one partition that's the ideal.

9. toxic9

Dec 13, 2016
    That guy misunderstood.
    Just use one partition FAT32 man.

MadScientist87 likes this.
  10. MadScientist87
    OP

MadScientist87 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2019
    United States
    In fact I do use Wiiflow for my Wii backups (except one that only seems to run on GX, which I use for that). Will Wiiflow 1) run my GC backups also, and 2) run my Wii backups from FAT32?

11. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Washington State
    IIRC, the actual WBFS format is depreciated. I mentioned NTFS just because someone saying you can't outright use it is incorrect and has been for a long time. But if you just want to keep everything simple and aren't worried about splitting, FAT32 will work for both.

12. toxic9

Dec 13, 2016
    Format in MBR Fat32.
    example folders:
    HDD:/games/Mario Sunshine [CODEID]/game.iso
    HDD:/wbfs/Mario Galaxy/CODEID.wbfs

Oh man.. you cant launch games from ntfs.
    You can create a ntfs partition for PC data.
    So..... does this help the man? Just confusing.

13. MadScientist87
    OP

MadScientist87 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2019
    United States
    So now that we've solved that issue, as for running them, I install nintendont and configure USBloaderGX to use it to run GC. Correct?

14. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    You don't have to run them through the Wii USB Loader app. You can run your Gamecube backups directly from Nintendont, and that's actually my preference.

15. toxic9

Dec 13, 2016
    Yes, that's it =)
    You learned fast!

16. MadScientist87
    OP

MadScientist87 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2019
    United States
    Tell me about that please, because I don't like doing extra steps, but it was my understanding that Nintendont doesn't have a GUI, which my mother would definitely need. Great gamer, not much for coding.

(Whole project is for her - I never particularly liked Gamecube. I was always an SNES kid.)

17. toxic9

Dec 13, 2016
    Running directly from nintendont is a sh** if you have tons of games.
    You select from a list with no GUI and it reads the names from ISO itself.

Last edited by toxic9, Sep 11, 2019
  18. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Washington State
    I promise you that you can launch Wii games on NTFS with a real Wii. I'm playing Mario Kart Wii right now off one, unsplit whole ISO :)

19. MadScientist87
    OP

MadScientist87 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2019
    United States
    Been doing this kind of thing for twenty years, lol. Concepts remain the same, it's just the apps and the syntax that change. Appreciate the compliment though ;)

Any tips on Wario's mine? Heckin hate that track.

Any tips on Wario's mine? Heckin hate that track.

20. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States

You have to go into Homebrew Channel, launch Nintendont, launch game. Also make sure to turn on memory card emulation. That's about it. It's a non-graphic interface, text only. There are complications in the settings, but anyone can be taught to just launch games. My daughter could handle it when she was 6yo.

BTW I'm not saying you shouldn't configure your Wii game USB Loader to incorporate Nintendont. Just, you don't have to.

I probably have 45-50 Gamecube ISO's installed. (?) Something like that. I don't install every Barbie, Pony, Fitness shovelware game for completion's sake. 45-50 items on a list is not that much to scroll through, and it stays on last game played so it's a non-issue if you're mostly sticking to one game at a time.

Last edited by Hanafuda, Sep 11, 2019