drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, we just bought an HDTV...

So I eagerly hooked up all my consoles... Xbox 360 with HDMI, the Wii and GameCube with component.

But yet, when I play GameCube games, the TV says it's 480i. When I put games such as Pokémon Colosseum in the Wii, it asks if I want to enable progressive scan mode, and then actually does 480p.

I don't see the option on the GameCube... it just starts in 480i.

Does anyone know how to actually make it use progressive mode? Because if it doesn't, what's the point of even using the component cable I had to spend $50 on?

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Gamecube itself doesn't output 480p and there are no options in the menu.
A fair few games (not all) support 480p if you hold down the 'B' button after the Gamecube boot screen.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, thanks, I ended up Googling it and figured it out.

Once you press B, it asks you every time.

I take it "Progressive scan" and 480p are different? I had Mario Cart: Double Dash in there, and it has an option to use 480p but it's not "Progressive scan" compatible.

Like, what percent of GameCube games support 480p? I take it the ones that don't just start automatically in 480i using the component cables?

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Progressive Scan and 480p are the same thing.

I couldn't guess on a percentage but you can find lists out there such as this (not sure how accurate or complete it is).

Most games automatically run in 480i even with the component cables but some later games such as Zelda: Twilight Princess will detect the component cable and ask you if you want to run in ProScan.
The ones that don't support 480p will just continue on if you hold down 'B'.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that "progressive scan" on the back of the boxes is a laser thing... Pokémon Colosseum and XD have it, and I know they have absolutely no load time.

Mario Kart: Double Dash doesn't mention "progressive scan" on the box but it has 480p.

And once you hold B and switch to progressive mode, it asks you automatically every time. For games that support it, anyway, I haven't tested on ones that don't.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
drfsupercenter said:
I think that "progressive scan" on the back of the boxes is a laser thing... Pokémon Colosseum and XD have it, and I know they have absolutely no load time.

Mario Kart: Double Dash doesn't mention "progressive scan" on the box but it has 480p.

No progressive scan is not a laser thing, it's the p in 480p. As opposed to the i in 480i which is for interlaced. Mario Kart not saying it on the box is probably an error or oversight or something. Progressive scan has nothing to do with load times.

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure not a lot of GC games supported it, given the fact that later GC models (DOL-100, DOL-101) actually REMOVED the digital video connection, leaving only the analog connection (same type of cable used on the SNES and N64). Only the original GCs (DOL-001) actually have both analog and digital video connections.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sold me one of those component cables for $50... it's a lot but the Wii ones are $30, not that big of a difference. (Granted I got Wii component cables for $7.99 from China
wink.gif
)

As far as the actual GameCube games go, I believe at least half of them support 480p... maybe they knew they would make a future system (the Wii) that was compatible with the GameCube games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)