Gaming gamecube 480p on PAL wii

benjamon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
hi,

i have a PAL wii with softmii installed. everything works fine on it but recently i bought a vdigi vga cable to play on a CRT monitor. This works fine for most games (those that support 480p, 480i doesn't work) but now i'd like to play the wind waker from gamecube on my wii. i have a NTSC version, so it should support 480p. i know for sure the game works, i have tested it on an old tv. i know on the ntsc gamecubes you had to press B to enable 480p so i tried that but nothing comes up (only sound, the monitor says signal not supported). is there any way to force 480p on my PAL wii? any help would be appreciated...

CreX

Trophies
Website
backloggery.com
XP
Country
benjamon said:
hi,

i have a PAL wii with softmii installed. everything works fine on it but recently i bought a vdigi vga cable to play on a CRT monitor. This works fine for most games (those that support 480p, 480i doesn't work) but now i'd like to play the wind waker from gamecube on my wii. i have a NTSC version, so it should support 480p. i know for sure the game works, i have tested it on an old tv. i know on the ntsc gamecubes you had to press B to enable 480p so i tried that but nothing comes up (only sound, the monitor says signal not supported). is there any way to force 480p on my PAL wii? any help would be appreciated...
Test PAL version, 60Hz.

mj0ln3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
um pushing B didn't enable 480p it enabled 60 hz 480i. gamecube DOES NOT support 480p it never did.

Sure it does. The GC games released in the USA had the option of 480p instead of the 60hz option with PAL games.

benjamon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
indeed, there was 480p support for NTSC games so i thought that with this region free gamecube backup loader, it would be possible to play in 480p on a PAL wii. Converting the wii to 3.2U, doesn't that has a lot of brick risks? i don't want to take too many risks for this as everything runs just fine now...

vega1970

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
benjamon said:
indeed, there was 480p support for NTSC games so i thought that with this region free gamecube backup loader, it would be possible to play in 480p on a PAL wii. Converting the wii to 3.2U, doesn't that has a lot of brick risks? i don't want to take too many risks for this as everything runs just fine now...

Yes, converting a PAL wii to a NTSC wii is very dangerous. If you don't do it correctly (for instance, if you change the console region without replacing the system menu by the "U" version ... or, if you install the 3.2U system menu without changing the console region to NTSC), then you'll brick the console.

Moreover, it doesn't work well if your drive is chipped. If you correctly softconvert your console to an USA one and if you've got a chip that tells the console that every disk is a genuine PAL disk (even NTSC ones), you'll no longer be able to read any disk at all.

If you don't need it, don't do it.

EriktheRed

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think that the issue is with 480p support in the backup launcher. I have the same VGA cables and no matter what I try I cannot get a game to load on my CRT monitor on my NTSC-U Wii. Pressing R at the startup screen (which, by the way, blanks out after showing the backup loader splash on Theta, Xi and 0.2) Flashes the screen green for a second and then goes to a signal out of range message on my monitor since the interlaced signal can't be displayed. I can hear the games just fine though.

If I unpatch my MIOS and load the original (I don't have CIOSCORP/Softmii, I just use HBC for backups) 480p video appears on my CRT. Since the loading screen options won't display in 480p I figured it's a bug that would only impact people with VGA cables, which is a very small group of users. I've also tried holding B to force progressive scan after launching with R, but the best this has gotten me is a solid green screen.

I figured this was a sign that I should actually upgrade to a high def TV and just deal with moving my Wii back and forth between the TV and Monitor for the time being. It'll be nice to get a flicker-free GX menu for emulators since they all flicker like crazy on my standard def TV using S-Video. Standard component cables FTW!!!
smile.gif

benjamon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
it seems i'll have to use my old small tv for the 480i games i want to play. that's a shame though because the image quality on my crt monitor is so much better. i'm not going to try changing the region, i don't want to end up with a bricked wii... thanks anyway for the replies

Jockel

This is where you're wrong, kiddo
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
QUOTE said:
I'm thinking PAL firmware versions don't support 480p in Gamecube games.
Wrong. I played quite some US GC games in 480p on my PAL Wii.
Windwaker doesn't support 480p afaik, so that's the problem.
BTW you should try F-Zero GX in 480p, breathtaking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Plus a lot of the times they just seemed half hearted attempts