gamecube 480p on PAL wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by benjamon, Mar 22, 2009.

Mar 22, 2009

gamecube 480p on PAL wii by benjamon at 11:21 AM (3,745 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. benjamon
    OP

Newcomer benjamon Newbie

Belgium
    hi,

i have a PAL wii with softmii installed. everything works fine on it but recently i bought a vdigi vga cable to play on a CRT monitor. This works fine for most games (those that support 480p, 480i doesn't work) but now i'd like to play the wind waker from gamecube on my wii. i have a NTSC version, so it should support 480p. i know for sure the game works, i have tested it on an old tv. i know on the ntsc gamecubes you had to press B to enable 480p so i tried that but nothing comes up (only sound, the monitor says signal not supported). is there any way to force 480p on my PAL wii? any help would be appreciated...

2. CreX

Member CreX GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Test PAL version, 60Hz.

3. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    gamecube never had 480p only 60hz

4. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    You might need to convert the Wii to 3.2U for that?

I'm thinking PAL firmware versions don't support 480p in Gamecube games.

5. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    um pushing B didn't enable 480p it enabled 60 hz 480i. gamecube DOES NOT support 480p it never did.

6. mj0ln3r

Newcomer mj0ln3r Newbie

Sweden

Sure it does. The GC games released in the USA had the option of 480p instead of the 60hz option with PAL games.

7. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    The PAL Gamecube hardware could do 480p just fine. But Nintendo intentionally removed 480p from all known PAL releases.

Many US and Japan games have it.

8. benjamon
    OP

Newcomer benjamon Newbie

Belgium
    indeed, there was 480p support for NTSC games so i thought that with this region free gamecube backup loader, it would be possible to play in 480p on a PAL wii. Converting the wii to 3.2U, doesn't that has a lot of brick risks? i don't want to take too many risks for this as everything runs just fine now...

9. vega1970

Newcomer vega1970 Member

Belgium
    Yes, converting a PAL wii to a NTSC wii is very dangerous. If you don't do it correctly (for instance, if you change the console region without replacing the system menu by the "U" version ... or, if you install the 3.2U system menu without changing the console region to NTSC), then you'll brick the console.

Moreover, it doesn't work well if your drive is chipped. If you correctly softconvert your console to an USA one and if you've got a chip that tells the console that every disk is a genuine PAL disk (even NTSC ones), you'll no longer be able to read any disk at all.

If you don't need it, don't do it.

10. EriktheRed

Newcomer EriktheRed Member

United States
    I think that the issue is with 480p support in the backup launcher. I have the same VGA cables and no matter what I try I cannot get a game to load on my CRT monitor on my NTSC-U Wii. Pressing R at the startup screen (which, by the way, blanks out after showing the backup loader splash on Theta, Xi and 0.2) Flashes the screen green for a second and then goes to a signal out of range message on my monitor since the interlaced signal can't be displayed. I can hear the games just fine though.

If I unpatch my MIOS and load the original (I don't have CIOSCORP/Softmii, I just use HBC for backups) 480p video appears on my CRT. Since the loading screen options won't display in 480p I figured it's a bug that would only impact people with VGA cables, which is a very small group of users. I've also tried holding B to force progressive scan after launching with R, but the best this has gotten me is a solid green screen.

I figured this was a sign that I should actually upgrade to a high def TV and just deal with moving my Wii back and forth between the TV and Monitor for the time being. It'll be nice to get a flicker-free GX menu for emulators since they all flicker like crazy on my standard def TV using S-Video. Standard component cables FTW!!! [​IMG]

11. benjamon
    OP

Newcomer benjamon Newbie

Belgium
    it seems i'll have to use my old small tv for the 480i games i want to play. that's a shame though because the image quality on my crt monitor is so much better. i'm not going to try changing the region, i don't want to end up with a bricked wii... thanks anyway for the replies

12. Jockel

Member Jockel Tagging yourself? This shit ain't NeoGAF.

Germany
    Wrong. I played quite some US GC games in 480p on my PAL Wii.
    Windwaker doesn't support 480p afaik, so that's the problem.
    BTW you should try F-Zero GX in 480p, breathtaking.