Gameboy Modding!
This group is for people who enjoy modding Gameboys of every kind. Feel free to post your Gameboy mods here!
Gameboy Modding!
Gameboy Modding!

Gameboy Color Modding

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jayro
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 133
  • Replies Replies 16
Two recent GBC mods I did. Left unit had an OEM screen that had cracks in the LCD itself (not the lens), so I decided to order an aftermarket backlit one. I'm quite happy with it.

On the right hand side was a kiwi unit with a missing battery cover, several missing screws, among other imperfections. I preserved what's left of the shell but went with an aftermarket Pikachu shell. Admittedly, I'm somewhat disappointed. The lens came with some surface scratches out of the game (despite being an aftermarket not yet assembled kit) and the case was a poor fit. I had to loosen some screws and apply pressure to get it to sit together. It felt unnatural.

Furthermore, the B button feels like it's weak and the whole shell plastic just feels poorer quality in general.

Not sure if it's just me on these aftermarket shells. I would love some opinions on whether there's better alternatives or if this is really as good as it gets.

20211107_221036.jpg
 
  • Love
Reactions: Jayro
Recently bought a Gameboy Color and modded it with the larger ips panel and retro gameboy case from funnyplaying.
 

Attachments

  • C8E4C919-841E-416E-A753-C75399FD4E38.jpeg
    C8E4C919-841E-416E-A753-C75399FD4E38.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • Love
Reactions: Jayro
Two recent GBC mods I did. Left unit had an OEM screen that had cracks in the LCD itself (not the lens), so I decided to order an aftermarket backlit one. I'm quite happy with it.

On the right hand side was a kiwi unit with a missing battery cover, several missing screws, among other imperfections. I preserved what's left of the shell but went with an aftermarket Pikachu shell. Admittedly, I'm somewhat disappointed. The lens came with some surface scratches out of the game (despite being an aftermarket not yet assembled kit) and the case was a poor fit. I had to loosen some screws and apply pressure to get it to sit together. It felt unnatural.

Furthermore, the B button feels like it's weak and the whole shell plastic just feels poorer quality in general.

Not sure if it's just me on these aftermarket shells. I would love some opinions on whether there's better alternatives or if this is really as good as it gets.

View attachment 283741
I generally find that anyone selling "prestige" shells tend to be of higher quality. Retrosix, Handheld legend, and Funnyplaying should all carry them, but I'm not sure if RetroModding has them.
 
I generally find that anyone selling "prestige" shells tend to be of higher quality. Retrosix, Handheld legend, and Funnyplaying should all carry them, but I'm not sure if RetroModding has them.
I was hoping to get one with the special PIkachu edition enclosure. Doesn't look like it's anything any of those offer. Oh well.
 
Have just ordered a GBC, Im hoping to make a replica of the Gameboy Horror from Luigis mansion. What is currently the best replacement backlit screen?
 
Have just ordered a GBC, Im hoping to make a replica of the Gameboy Horror from Luigis mansion. What is currently the best replacement backlit screen?
The Laminated Q5, but you'll probably want to go with a regular Q5 and have a custom "Q5 Gameboy Horror" lens made.
 
  • Like
Reactions: andyhappypants
I've had a look on ZedLabs and they're not too pricey at all, my LCD screen mod was £30 from China. Thanks for suggesting me this, I'll definitely buy a kit in the near future. :)
You can buy them directly from Funnyplaying's website too. I get them from there because they're the cheapest I've found, and they only take about 2 weeks to reach me in the U.S.
 
You can buy them directly from Funnyplaying's website too. I get them from there because they're the cheapest I've found, and they only take about 2 weeks to reach me in the U.S.
I agree. They're slightly less cheaper than what ZedLabs were selling. Thanks for the heads up! :bow:
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jayro
Last edited by SylverReZ,

Group statistics

Group owner:
Jayro
Members:
326
Threads:
38
Messages:
163
Photos:
6

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted