GameBoy Advance + Game Link Emulation

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seriously need some help with this one. A friend and I have been trying to play GBA online with each other for months now and can't seem to get anything we try to work. All the tutorials I find are either for running link emulation between two instances of the software on the same machine, or are 5+ years old. Does anyone have a method they know works (preferably because they use it)? Please be sure to post links (unless it violates forum rules).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not sure there is anything that works over internet TCP these days, maybe something on LAN but even then it was never good and the ping from a VPN is probably going to be enough to tank it even then.

Your best bet is to do two instances of VBAlink (not sure what VBA-m has for link support these days but it is also an option) on one machine and have one person remote control a machine with something like teamviewer. Not great if you need real time (and Turok is great in co-op, eggo mania is great fun and kart racing would be something to miss) but if it is for something turn based like pokemon or advance wars then it is should be more than suitable.

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you have android phones, you can download the "My Boy!" emulator, it has link cable emulation over bluetooth and over internet. I tested it with my phone and tablet before and it works great :)

Reactions: Margen67

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have android phones, you can download the "My Boy!" emulator, it has link cable emulation over bluetooth and over internet. I tested it with my phone and tablet before and it works great :)

That might actually be doable. I'm pretty sure we both have Android devices.

I am not sure there is anything that works over internet TCP these days, maybe something on LAN but even then it was never good and the ping from a VPN is probably going to be enough to tank it even then.

Your best bet is to do two instances of VBAlink (not sure what VBA-m has for link support these days but it is also an option) on one machine and have one person remote control a machine with something like teamviewer. Not great if you need real time (and Turok is great in co-op, eggo mania is great fun and kart racing would be something to miss) but if it is for something turn based like pokemon or advance wars then it is should be more than suitable.

Kind of sad to think that PC-side game link emulation is dead, but considering all the power mobile devices have these days I'm not too shocked.

Reactions: Lycan911
D

Deleted User

Kind of sad to think that PC-side game link emulation is dead, but considering all the power mobile devices have these days I'm not too shocked.
Agreed, I much prefer to use VBA + Xbox 360 controller over a smart phone. When I try to use LAN VBA- M decides to play in slowmo as soon as multiplayer is set up in a game and im forced to use the single computer method. VBA devs should address this

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed, I much prefer to use VBA + Xbox 360 controller over a smart phone. When I try to use LAN VBA- M decides to play in slowmo as soon as multiplayer is set up in a game and im forced to use the single computer method. VBA devs should address this
And I'd have to agree right back. There should be zero reason why PC VBA link emulation is broken and convoluted. The problem with the Android port of the emulator is that not every device has Bluetooth or USB OTG capabilities.

D

Deleted User

And I'd have to agree right back. There should be zero reason why PC VBA link emulation is broken and convoluted. The problem with the Android port of the emulator is that not every device has Bluetooth or USB OTG capabilities.
Perhaps VBA might benefit from Bluetooth? All my PCs have Bluetooth built in.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps VBA might benefit from Bluetooth? All my PCs have Bluetooth built in.
And you can get Bluetooth adapters, too. Although something like that would be better on tablet PCs and laptops. I have a hefty rig, and it would be awful to have to lug it around. That issue is solvable by just getting a tablet PC or laptop, but with the money I'd drop on one decent enough, I may as well go to Amazon and eBay and pick up carts, GBA SPs and game link cables for me and my friends.

D

Deleted User

And you can get Bluetooth adapters, too. Although something like that would be better on tablet PCs and laptops. I have a hefty rig, and it would be awful to have to lug it around. That issue is solvable by just getting a tablet PC or laptop, but with the money I'd drop on one decent enough, I may as well go to Amazon and eBay and pick up carts, GBA SPs and game link cables for me and my friends.
That's what I'm thinking of doing for Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. It's that or setting up 4 displays and audio outputs on one pc.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The K-1 GBA clone has gotten good reviews. I'm actually considering picking one up. Either that and a flashcart and a GBA SP. I do have my DSTWO and my N3DS, but while the GBA emulation on it is good, there's no chance for multiplayer or a native environment to play them in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol