game consoles, laptops and cell phones...

nin10do

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
how do you think its going to go? will cellphones become powerfull enough to run laptop apps.
or will laptops be shrunk to cellphone sizes?

whats the ideal screen size for a device that you'd carry around all the time?

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My guess is they will all meet in a store. As for "Ideal" screen size it depends on the design a flip phone can only have a certain size screen where as a touch screen such as the iphone will always have a bigger screen. Some cellphones are already able to run laptop apps, I mean laptops were not just invented with 1.8ghz dual core cpu's they started out just as computers did... SLOW AS HELL. And if you include PDA then yes... But the point of a laptop the size of a cellphone seems really pointless...

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
A 4 inch widescreen 1024x600 UMPC with:

Runs any standard PC OS, comes standard with Vista
Slide out keyboard
80GB HD or more
2GB RAM
3G
>4 hours of real usage battery life (not the manufacturer's inflated numbers)

would be perfect for me to bring everywhere I go.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LINKIBOY!?

anyway, its going to be soon. The music phone is trying to phase out traditional mp3 players, and the ipod is trying from the other side to make a music phone. they will meet very soon. and remember everything is going digital.

Netflix released a box that allows you do download your movies and then plug it into the tv for the idea viewing experience.

Steam anyone? Im willing to bet that we are one or two console generations before we stop having hard copies of software. Look at all of us, most of us dont even have physical material to show for the games we play other than the DS itself. and consitering that the ds can be rigged to actually be used as a phone? we are pretty close. When will it all happen? im horrible at estimation.

Btw has anyone looked up stuff on the mind controlled wii? creepy as hell!

Cablephish

Show me...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think they're going to eventually realease special eyeballs that you can use to replace your real ones, whic can get internet, and play games all through the mind. Did i mention you'll be able to change your whole perception of reality with applications? It's like skinning a GUI, except much bigger!

It's wishful thinking, lol.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
*Godot* said:
I think they're going to eventually realease special eyeballs that you can use to replace your real ones, whic can get internet, and play games all through the mind. Did i mention you'll be able to change your whole perception of reality with applications? It's like skinning a GUI, except much bigger!

wooh, does that mean i could hack my friends perception of reality to make a 100 stone fatty look hot?

nin10do

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
BortzANATOR said:
LINKIBOY!?

anyway, its going to be soon. The music phone is trying to phase out traditional mp3 players, and the ipod is trying from the other side to make a music phone. they will meet very soon. and remember everything is going digital.

Netflix released a box that allows you do download your movies and then plug it into the tv for the idea viewing experience.

Steam anyone? Im willing to bet that we are one or two console generations before we stop having hard copies of software. Look at all of us, most of us dont even have physical material to show for the games we play other than the DS itself. and consitering that the ds can be rigged to actually be used as a phone? we are pretty close. When will it all happen? im horrible at estimation.

Btw has anyone looked up stuff on the mind controlled wii? creepy as hell!

phones won't phase out mp3 palyers or cameras for that matter. the first reason is cuz companies loose out money that way. why do you think conventional headphone jacks aren't used on more phones. or why the original razor had a 50 song limit when the ipod was first released.
the k750i technically had a camera that rivaled sony's stand alone cameras. guess what they did. they reduced the quality of the phone camera.
the second reason it can't currently happen is battery life.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nin10do said:
phones won't phase out mp3 palyers or cameras for that matter. the first reason is cuz companies loose out money that way. why do you think conventional headphone jacks aren't used on more phones. or why the original razor had a 50 song limit when the ipod was first released.
Maybe not cameras yet, but question 1: you need to have a 2.5mm jack so you can take calls as well
2:small memory

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
UltraMagnus said:
*Godot* said:

wooh, does that mean i could hack my friends perception of reality to make a 100 stone fatty look hot?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shallow_Hal

Hah, reminds me of that movie where they make Jack Black's character see women for who they really are so he thinks a nice but ass ugly girl is hot.

nin10do

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
myuusmeow said:
UltraMagnus said:
*Godot* said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shallow_Hal

Hah, reminds me of that movie where they make Jack Black's character see women for who they really are so he thinks a nice but ass ugly girl is hot.

that technology is centuries old. it's called beer.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
A 4 inch widescreen 1024x600 UMPC with:

Runs any standard PC OS, comes standard with Vista
Slide out keyboard
80GB HD or more
2GB RAM
3G
>4 hours of real usage battery life (not the manufacturer's inflated numbers)

would be perfect for me to bring everywhere I go.

Linkiboy said:
They already have. There's a HTC phone that runs Windows Vista

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16875502008
Many UMPCs have data modems built in, and the HTC shift (which linkiboy posted) has proven that you can give these UMPCs a low power, cell phone-like state. The only problems are the companies that develop games and the companies that are responsible for today's cell phone set up. The HTC Shift could EASILY have a module for voice (1x) data, but no cellular service company in their right mind would put such power in one device, as it would cannibalize almost all of their smartphone sales. Game companies cannot produce low power PC games for fear that people would not purchase the game due to poor graphics, which is why game companies usually opt for game consoles as PC gaming is tricky business (also, piracy). One final thing to consider is price. Yes, the Sony 490 UMPC is almost a perfect form factor, already has a data modem (and a voice only standby mode for long battery life cell phone usage could theoretically be added), and can be fitted with a core2duo processor (and maybe a good integrated graphics solution, like the 9400M) allowing it to do some basic gaming, but at the current price of $2k+ with a single core processor and crap graphics solution, this sort of thing only appeals to business types, making it hard for any company to justify backing such a device.

That's my dollar and a half

TLDR: Give the Iphone a keyboard and a development platform that doesn't suck

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/2byHyqiZVS8?si=Qr7te3eS9u0xQYDh