Game Boy Micro Noob

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Dunpeal1978, Sep 21, 2007.

Sep 21, 2007

Game Boy Micro Noob by Dunpeal1978 at 5:49 PM (3,455 Views / 0 Likes) 28 replies

1. Dunpeal1978
    OP

Member Dunpeal1978 Member

United States
    I just bought a used Game boy Micro yesterday. I want to fully utilize everything that it has to offer. I only have expeirience hacking my PSP. I have no idea where to begin so suggestions for the following things would be appreaciated.

-what type of custom cartridge should I buy?
    -are there any other good forums for GBM besides this one?
    -where is a good store to buy cheap stuff for the GBM?
    -are there any cool case mods that can be done easily?
    -can you recommend any adaptors?
    -can you recomend any homebrew or applications?

2. titoboy666

Newcomer titoboy666 Advanced Member

Canada
    My own favorite homebrews for the GBA (GBM) are:

APPS
    -PocketNES
    -Goomba (GB emulator)
    -Goomba Color (GBC Emulator)

GAMES
    -Flood (by Foxy)
    -Deflektor (by Foxy)
    -ChipAdvance
    -Herg's Solitaire
    -Herg's Yahtzee
    -Motocross Challenge

Hope I helped...

3. Dunpeal1978
    OP

United States
    Wow thanks Tito boy......you helped out alot..... as far as adaptors,I'm talking about Official and 3rd party cartridges that assit the micro in doing things it can't on its own...Im'm gonna list some examples of some I've seen on the net randomly searching for stuff for the advance and micro......I'd appreaciate any feedback on the examples:

-wifi adaptor
    -bluetooth adaptor
    -TV output adaptor
    -Play-yan micro

Those are just a few I found. Also I'm interested in modifying the appearance such as a place to get cool faceplates,or replacement buttons....etc. I'm not really into hardcore soddering and hardware mods. Just cosmetic.

4. titoboy666

Canada
    There's a wireless link adaptor to play "link-abled" games. And I know about the e-card reader that has been officially tagged as incompatible because of the device blocking the Select and Start buttons on the GBMicro. As far as faceplates go I think Play-Asia has a pack of 10 or so faceplates... but again, since the popularity of the GBM has been very moderate, you can only find a couple of third party manufacturers that made faceplates... too bad [​IMG]

5. Dunpeal1978
    OP

United States
    Yeah I came to that conclusion also. Well I'd appreaciate it if you have any links to anything cool you've found for the micro that you think I might be interested in. I've already checked out those sites and devices. So sounds like I'm up to date.

6. titoboy666

Canada
    Well that's about all I know, I'm new to the GBM too, so far I've ordered a case from eBay and a screen protector from dealextreme (it's a PDA screen protector that I'm gonna trim to fit to the gbm faceplate).

7. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    *Joins the Micro newb club [​IMG]* I've been poking around the net to see what's around, looks like it's eBay or (often overpriced) stuff on Amazon. As far as faceplates go there isn't much, except going down the "buy crap faceplate to sacrifice to Decalgirl sticker" route.

One thing that caught my eye; there's a clear faceplate bouncing around on Ebay Australia ("powerwave clear detachable face"), it looks like a clear plate that you put your own paper printed out skins underneath. Looks interesting but I can't see it listed anywhere outside of Australia, let alone find any reviews to see if it's crap or not.

I remember seeing some stuff in Poundland (UK version of a 99cents store) a few months back, wonder if they've still got any of it...

8. Dunpeal1978
    OP

United States
    I bought the clear Powerwave faceplate for the GBM!!!! heres the link on ebay to buy it. Powerwave GBM clear detachable face

And the best part is that you can go to the Powerwave website and download a skin from their D.I.Y. section, or upload your own to be formatted!!!!!!
    -Skin Chooser
    -Upload page
    -POWERWAVE

I hope everybody will upload pics of any uploaded images after they put them on their Micro...I know I will
    [​IMG]

9. titoboy666

Canada
    For me there's no real interest in faceplates caus' I got the 20th anniversary limited edition and I wouldn't know how to make it cuter! [​IMG] and it did not even come with the tool to change the faceplate, I'm not even sure I can remove it...

I'm a retro addict! [​IMG]

10. Dunpeal1978
    OP

United States
    You can take it off with your fingers its easy. They designed it that way,so you can interchange faces.

11. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    No you can't >_> You need to push those 2 holes, otherwise you'll break/twist one of the pieces in the Micro like I did. My faceplates don't stay on anymore in one of the corners [​IMG]

12. Dunpeal1978
    OP

United States
    I bought it on www.ebay.com for $1.95+$10.00 shipping to Texas. So its cheap. And its got unlimited potential till it becomes scratched up.

13. Dunpeal1978
    OP

United States
    Well it may not be the safest way to take off the faceplate,but I did it anyway since I don't have the tool

14. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    I bought the Powerwave faceplate Psyfira. Its okay. Its a bitch to cut out the buttons holes though [​IMG] . If you go to the Powerwave site you can download more faceplate skins for it. They also have a template you can download so you can make your own easier [​IMG]

15. 4saken

Australia
    How does it look without anything under it [​IMG]

LEDs wee

16. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    It looked horrible 4saken [​IMG] . You could hook up some SMD LED's if you were game enough [​IMG]

17. Dunpeal1978
    OP

United States
    it looked like shit underneath

18. titoboy666

Canada
    Now you made my GBM cry :'(

19. 4saken

Australia
    I'M SORRY [​IMG]

20. reaperman@home

Member reaperman@home GBAtemp Regular

how are those clear gbm faceplates for scratch durability. The nintendo ones are pretty resistant, but a lot of the 3rd party ones are pretty awful.

I just want to know if I need 20, or if I can get away with only 5 of them [​IMG]