Game Boy Color front lit mod

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by PortablePlatypus, Jan 4, 2014.

1. PortablePlatypus
    OP

PortablePlatypus Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2013
    United States
    I'm thinking of modding a GBC with a front-lit screen. It seems best to take the light from a AGS-001 GBA SP, but I don't have a broken one and am looking to spend as little as possible. The 47 ohm resistors are dirt cheap, as is a tri-wing screwdriver. I'm not entirely sure what wiring I should use though. I'm also interested to know if I can buy just the front light without tearing an SP apart, or if there's another way to light it, say, with some LEDs. Anyone have experience with this mod?

2. thaddius

thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

May 5, 2008
    Canada
    I did the frontlight mod, but I used to repair GBAs and two that had broken screens with a functional frontlights lying around.

I wouldn't tear apart a perfectly good SP for one. If you can find a broken one you can harvest it easily. The only problem is that you probably won't be able to find out of the light still works if you buy off of places like eBay. Also, I broke the first one in the process... so be careful if you do get one...

3. overdriver

overdriver Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2010
    United States
    just my two cents..
    1. don't buy LED panel from aliexpress: recently one member reported it is useless as it is too bright as a screen.
    2. you can also use NDS(original with frontlit) instead of gba sp.
    I am also planning to do this but I am lazy & scared (of getting dust between panels :()

4. SuperSVGA

SuperSVGA GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2013
    United States
    I've never had any luck with aliexpress, I've been scammed all 3 times. The thing I get isn't anything like what I ordered and the sellers always refuse to cooperate with me.

5. PortablePlatypus
    OP

PortablePlatypus Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2013
    United States
    It's just a platform like ebay, so the same precautions should be taken. However, given that it's based in asia, it's definitely much riskier.

I've got two of those screens ordered. Here's hoping they arrive. I'll be sure to update once everything's together.

6. Nusdogg

Nusdogg GBAtemp Fan

Feb 3, 2013
    United States
    St. Paul, MN
    I'll post pics when I get home. I modded the front light to fit horizontally instead how everybody has it sideways. Gives you the fuzzy annoying vertical lines when playing.

7. Nusdogg

Nusdogg GBAtemp Fan

Feb 3, 2013
    United States
    St. Paul, MN
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks 10x better in person. Love it!

Suicide likes this.