Game Boy Camera and Lameboy

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Robz8, Nov 9, 2012.

Nov 9, 2012

Game Boy Camera and Lameboy by Robz8 at 4:51 PM (1,888 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Robz8
    OP

Member Robz8 Coolest of the Temp

United States
    If GameYob (not lameboy, because GameYob is better) was ever an emulator for DSi-Mode flashcarts, would it be possible that the DSi/3DS cameras can be used as the Game Boy Camera in the Game Boy Camera rom?

2. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Gee dunno. Maybe you should try asking again when there are actually libraries that people can look at for DSi homebrew.

3. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    there will never be another dsi-mode flash kit, unless a new exploit is found. the ievo exploit is crippled by the nature of the hardware. it also was completely blocked on the dsi and 3ds. what is my point? no one is going to spend time developing dsi-mode homebrew enhancements for a card that perhaps a handful of people can still use.

it is rather upsetting that cyclops waited so long to release the card, failed to support it, and then refused to release the source code. they have single handedly screwed up any possibilities of a dsi-mode homebrew boom.

-another world

4. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    If there was a lameboy with dsi-mode there would be a small chance it would work with the camera, but that is highly doubtful and I doubt that many people would be interested in making it do so.

5. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    ...that's not really a limitation, seeing that the code used appears to be WinterMute's savesploit. That, and you're still entirely capable of modding the DSi to run custom code, provided that you use a NAND clip to dump the keys. Of course this applies to a handful of users only, but hey! It's doable... it's just that nobody feels like looking for those exploits.

Personally, I feel that the best opportunity we have at cracking proper DSi-Mode is actually the 3DS - it's a much more interesting platform and it supports DSi binaries, so I'd say we should look in that general direction.

6. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    Wait until a 3DS-mode hack, I guess..

7. GammaGeorgeX

Member GammaGeorgeX GBAtemp Regular

Burundi
    Yeah, DSi hardware had never been cracked, knowing the camera mainly.

8. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Utilizing the built-in 3DS camera would require *serious* re-working of the camera input. First, you'd have to resize the image to the Gameboy Camera's native resolution, then you'd have to lower the colour count so that it fits the virtual "palette slot" and finally, pixel by pixel, you'd have to transfer the data over, all while retaining a proper framerate of the emulator itself and in real time.

It's not "un-doable" on the 3DS or the DSi, but I'd wager that it's not very feasable - too little work for too little game. It's kinda like trying to have the system connect over Wi-Fi to a computer to use a printer as the Game Boy Printer.

9. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Was it cracked? Yes. Was the camera mapped (memory address-wise)? No.

EDIT: Dang it! Sometimes merging posts works, sometimes it doesn't... Ugh!

10. SLiV3R

Member SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Sweden
    Is there any news on this topic? I still would like a gameboy camera! =)

11. Drenn

Member Drenn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Still very few people can execute code in DSi mode. Though technically gameyob supports dsi mode, it doesn't have extra features. Maybe it will happen when somebody releases a DSi homebrew loader on the 3ds. Though it would be a low priority for me. (Then again, I ended up doing the GB printer :P )

edit: was the camera even figured out? I never heard of homebrew that used it.

SLiV3R likes this.
  12. Technicmaster0

Member Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Nope. Internet, SD and camera can't be used by homebrew. Only the 16MB RAM etc. can be used.

13. Drenn

Canada
    Uh, permissions are a bit weird with the dsi, at least I don't understand them entirely. I know for a fact that people using dsiware hacks can access the SD card, and use wifi, while those things don't work properly for ievo users. Idk about the other things.

14. Technicmaster0

Member Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Wifi is not possible as far as I know. At least not for homebrew.
    There's a DSiware hack, Sudokuhax, that can access the SD card. But it can't access the Slot-1.

15. Alchemilla

Member Alchemilla GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Someone's at least dumped a ROM of the Game Boy Camera "game" right? That would at least warrant the ability to do it if someone tried to make it possible, yeah?

Edit: Changed wording so I'm not banned for ROM questions.

16. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    This thread is two years old. Anything to happen within those two years I ask either unaware of or now aware of.

17. Drenn

Canada
    It was dumped, and at least one emulator (bgb) supports it.