Hacking G6 lite: Corruption

Golds

Old Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gamersection just got a new shipment of english full retail versions, i wouldnt be scared now, just if you got yours early.

evilreddot

OP
Trophies
Website
www.xanga.com
XP
Country
Canada
Evilreddot: how do you know it was a testing version?

Were you able to flash and use the english firmware on it?

1. There was that sticker on the box.
2. There were no holes on the cart.
3. I could install English firmware.

Now I'm REALLY split between SCL and G6L. So many people's carts are getting at least partially corrupted!

jigaboo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
USBs are hotswappable, there should be no need to safely remove hardware.

Actually, not true. While they are hot swap compatible, the issue people are talking about has to do with write-caching, or the delay between the computer saying a file has been copied completely, and the actual time it has been completed (Windows always indicates that a job is finished while it's actually still in the process). When you do a "Safely Remove Hardware" operation, what you're telling windows to do is to finish all read/writes, then unmount the media. Oddly enough, XP shouldn't be write caching USB or any other removeably hardware anyway...

Which leads me believe that I don't think this is the issue that's causing the corruption. If there was an error writing roms onto the card (caused by premature unmounting) the data wouldn't even be written completely to the G6 in the first place, causing a game to not load correctly (you wouldn't even be able to play at all!). What we're seeing is that there is some gameplay (in some cases for a long time) and then a crash followed by data corruption. In the end, only the G6 team really knows why this is happening (if anyone really does).

I'd be interested to know if this is happening solely to people with the tester version or if the final version still suffers the same issues.
J

Falkentyne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there was an error writing roms onto the card (caused by premature unmounting) the data wouldn't even be written completely to the G6 in the first place, causing a game to not load correctly (you wouldn't even be able to play at all!).

Heh.

Outiv:
Try removing the casing from the G6 and then remounting it.
Some people have had problems with the PCB not being mounted securely, causing it to move when being inserted.
You can also try switching to another shell, too.

@others:
Removing a flash cartridge/flash drive CAN corrupt it.
This is a well known problem with other flash USB media, like flash pens, etc.
There are many threads on other forums about this.

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oddly enough, XP shouldn't be write caching USB or any other removeably hardware anyway...
Not sure if this is related but several times when I have switched off my external USB hard drive without safely removing, XP has given a delayed write error. So I think XP does do the caching with USB.

PajamaJam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can add me to the list of people who are experiencing corruption with their shiny new english G6.

I receieved my G6 and PassCard3 earlier this morning, loaded them up, and by the end of the night I was unable to load new games with U-Disk Manager (everything worked okay in the NDS though). A quick reformat, and everything was back to normal.

Now to be fair, I *was* removing the G6 from the USB adapter, and *not* removing the USB adapter from the PC. Also, the issue seemed to manifest once I tried to access the G6 on a Mac using Virtual PC 7. Lots of variables in there, so who knows. I'll be a bit more careful with things over the next few days and see how it goes.

outiv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Outiv:
Try removing the casing from the G6 and then remounting it.
Some people have had problems with the PCB not being mounted securely, causing it to move when being inserted.
You can also try switching to another shell, too.

@others:
Removing a flash cartridge/flash drive CAN corrupt it.
This is a well known problem with other flash USB media, like flash pens, etc.
There are many threads on other forums about this.

Funily enough, that's exactly what I already did this morning ;p It's only been a day though, but no crashing yet. I'll report back if I get anymore crashes, or if this solved the problem. If it did, then it clearly is a seating issue.. well, in my case anyway!

Picolo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you don't remove the cart, but the whole u-disk (that's what the flasher is called?) when you're done writing to the cart there shouldnt be any problems, right?

Anything else to think about?

g.crow

beide mittelfinger hoch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ive got a problem too
when entering my house in ac:ww, the ds freezes with two black screens.
didnt happen the days before.
g6 is a piece of crap

mars

evilreddot

OP
Trophies
Website
www.xanga.com
XP
Country
Canada
Well when it works, it's a great product. The G6 team still isn't accepting the fact that their product is flawed. They just keep saying "install the Chinese firmware, it is impossible to install the English firmware for now."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...