Hacking COMPLETED Fusee-LEDE Dongle (6$ payload injector)

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
This is really disheartening to read. It's just total potluck that many of us managed to even get a fully working device out of the box. Kind of puts a damper on the whole idea.
FWIW, no one who has ordered the one linked in the OP has had a device that isn't able to get working. Of course, that one needs an external power supply but it's not that big a deal

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Finally the injection will work! Just go ahead to the final firmware. You seem to have the same device as I got.
In LEDE, and (I assume) the original firmware, the USB malfunctions due to an error related to a hardware malfunction, possibly from a lack of power, as you mentioned. However, in my case it does not work like you mentioned. It refuses to setup the USB properly. :(

I've compiled a modified Debian kernel and installed it on my laptop, I tend to take it with me alongside my Switch so it's not a total loss.

tehlers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In LEDE, and (I assume) the original firmware, the USB malfunctions due to an error related to a hardware malfunction, possibly from a lack of power, as you mentioned. However, in my case it does not work like you mentioned. It refuses to setup the USB properly. :(

I've compiled a modified Debian kernel and installed it on my laptop, I tend to take it with me alongside my Switch so it's not a total loss.

Mhh, then you are obviously right. It just sounded too similar. I just rechecked, on my 3G Wi-Fi Router I don't see any event or log (in dmesg) when I plug a USB stick (and no error at all). So this indeed looks different. I have now also checked with a self powering harddisk and it does not see this device either. So the only device working is the switch! I currently can't check (due to lack of a switch atm) the events logged with a switch plugged, but any other device is not recognized in the system.

Strange devices. I ordered a second one from china. When it arrives I am very curious how this behaves...

Reactions: Huntereb

Wierd_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dry solder joints on cheap (as in, bargain priced) hardware is very common. It really is sucky that Hunter's looks like it has dry solder joints on the USB port. If it was me, I would just whip out the iron and reflow them with a little extra soldery goodness, and call it a day. Not everyone is as persistent as I am though. I really wish this hardware was more reliable.

However, it is also worth pointing out that even name brand devices have manufacturing faux-pas as well. Some years ago I had a USB GPS dongle from Delorme. They did not trim the component leads on the through hole soldered components, and they were contacting the RF shield inside. A little clipping, and some applied black tape for good measure, it worked like a charm.

I would love to know what factory is making these things, so that a direct order would be possible, for a reliable shipment. That way I could process say, 20 of them, then sell known working units, and spare people the headache.

RazorX2014

Trophies
XP
Country
@Wierd_w i looked into what openwrt you can install on the NSLU2 just for fun and it says that it was reported in 2016 to have been tested and working with OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05 so i downloaded the firmware bin for it, do you think that is high enough to require not much messing around with?

Last edited by RazorX2014,

RazorX2014

Trophies
XP
Country
Last edited by RazorX2014,

Wierd_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Wierd_w i looked into what openwrt you can install on the NSLU2 just for fun and it says that it was reported in 2016 to have been tested and working with OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05 so i downloaded the firmware bin for it, do you think that is high enough to require not much messing around with?

You will need to pull in the fusee-lede patch file and addon code to have it incorporate the EHCI patch, and the injector. Otherwise, a working build tree and some prodding should be all you need.

FGFlann

Trophies
XP
Country
I need a little help i flashed my dongle: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-5-IN-1-Mini-WIFI-USB-3G-Wireless-HOTSPOT-ROUTER-for-iPhone-iPad-CHARGER-I5A5/282655393511?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Now when i turn it on the blue light consistantly flashes at the top i tried to connect via ethernet nothing it cant find it i tried to run rcm it wont run I flashed uboot and the firmware.bin is there a way i can fix this?
You can attempt to reflash the firmware.bin by putting it on a FAT formatted flash drive, inserting it into the dongle and powering on while holding the reset button. It might take a few attemps before it's successful. The blue light should flash rapidly to indicate it's writing, otherwise it will pulse slowly.

itsjch

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You can attempt to reflash the firmware.bin by putting it on a FAT formatted flash drive, inserting it into the dongle and powering on while holding the reset button. It might take a few attemps before it's successful. The blue light should flash rapidly to indicate it's writing, otherwise it will pulse slowly.
i tried still not working

SexiestManAlive

The key that lights the dark
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just got mine today, how do i connect it to the computer, the ssid isnt showing up, i have it connected to the Ethernet cable, and have it plugged into a power source, but the ssid isnt showing up, can anybody help? edit: i think its showing up, but when i put in the password, admin it tells me the password is incorrect, whats going on

Last edited by SexiestManAlive,

Wierd_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just got mine today, how do i connect it to the computer, the ssid isnt showing up, i have it connected to the Ethernet cable, and have it plugged into a power source, but the ssid isnt showing up, can anybody help? edit: i think its showing up, but when i put in the password, admin it tells me the password is incorrect, whats going on

If you can see it on the network, point putty at it, and try telnet first, then ssh. User name is typically either admin or root. (root most commonly.)

SexiestManAlive

The key that lights the dark
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is what puty says

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

plug the device into an ethernet cable, and configure your ethernet port to be in the appropriate subnet. Then attempt to connect to the device over telnet, and if that fails, try ssh. PuTTY does both.
alright

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.1 KB · Views: 114

Wierd_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is what puty says

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

alright

The host you are connecting to will be an IP address. OpenWRT's writeup says that it pulls a DHCP provided address, so check your router for the host's information in the "connected devices" section. Then, once you have the IP address, put that into the field, and attempt connection.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge