• Views 55,846
  • Replies 230
  • Likes 10

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't care if I have to do simple things to my hardware but what I don't wanna do is running an exploit on every console's boot manually (like a web exploit).
The Wii and the 3DS have real coldboot exploits (permanent access to homebrew without the need to do anything everytime).
The Wii U does not, except you count CBHC which has its risks.

It's still unclear for me how all the CFW, homebrew execution, dual boot with Linux/Android whatever will turn out on the Switch. Will I be able to have such a permanent coldboot setup? Being on 3.0.0 right now.

Off topic: yardie got banned? lol :D why?

Last edited by lordelan,

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't care if I have to do simple things to my hardware but what I don't wanna do is running an exploit on every console's boot manually (like a web exploit).
The Wii and the 3DS have real coldboot exploits (permanent access to homebrew without the need to do anything everytime).

It's still unclear for me how all the CFW, homebrew execution, dual boot with Linux/Android whatever will turn out on the Switch. Will I be able to have such a permanent coldboot setup? Being on 3.0.0 right now.

Patience, it'll come in eventually.

Reactions: lordelan

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos

Never lol a banned user. It hurts. (Spoken from experience.. ;) )

From what I've currently read - from the current state of hacks, only with some form of hardmod, potentially even a chip. Might change in far'er future.

Logic goes like this - pins can be shorted internally to make the prerequisite permanent. Then the next question becomes, if the exploit can be launched without a USB tether - which might be possible, or not - part of this might still be in flux, as loading of additional code from the sd card is still worked on. If anyone has a more definitive answer for this please share.

Once the exploit is triggered, automation to load CFW should be possible. Maybe (speculation) even in the form of a (hold button down) loader to load nand instead of emunand.

3.0.0 might have an entry vector through the browser exploit.

1.0.0 might have "better chances" for a "software only" way to achieve this from a (defacto) coldboot state. (Very speculative).

Above 3.0.0 hardware assisted is mainly where its at. :)

We also don't know how Temkins, or TX's "modchip" solution would work - but presumably they would allow (defacto) coldboot implementations.

How well synand / emunand switching can be implemented (update sysnand never/only with modchip/...?) is also still in flux.

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: lordelan

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I'm not hyped about it after hearing you need to open the Joycon / Console (?)
I mean, I'm THAT inexperienced. Often I don't even know what the difference is between screwdriver 'versions'. Often, when someone asks to give a [type]screwdriver, I still give the wrong screwdriver most of the time lol.
Yes, I'm THAT n00b lol.

On the other hand, I'm hyped for it since other people can test and maybe even develop some new homebrew ^^

Reactions: xenofly

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I'm not hyped about it after hearing you need to open the Joycon / Console (?)
I mean, I'm THAT inexperienced. Often I don't even know what the difference is between screwdriver 'versions'. Often, when someone asks to give a [type]screwdriver, I still give the wrong screwdriver most of the time lol.
Yes, I'm THAT n00b lol.

On the other hand, I'm hyped for it since other people can test and maybe even develop some new homebrew ^^
You don't need to even open the joycon if you don't want to you can use a wire if you would like.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't have to open anything. Just took off the right joycon and shoved a mini screwdriver down into the gap.

EDIT: Obviously, I measured everything first so it would only short the last 2 pins and not overlap anything else.

Last edited by subcon959,
Reactions: leerpsp

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Yes, I'm THAT n00b lol.

The fail0verflow method does not require you to open your Switch. The plastic dongle thingy supposedly shorts two pins "from the outside". Negatives: It has to be done after every coldboot (insert dongle thingy, boot up the switch holding the volume up button, remove dongle thingy).

Last edited by notimp,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
OMG your right why did i not think of this. also something to ask you if i do this will my joycon still charge?
After you've got RCM you remove the screwdriver and reattach the joycon. As long as you didn't damage anything by pushing too hard it's back to normal.

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After you've got RCM you remove the screwdriver and reattach the joycon. As long as you didn't damage anything by pushing too hard it's back to normal.
I was thinking you used that screwdriver to bind the pin on the joycon as it looks like it can be done with out taking it apart.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking you used that screwdriver to bind the pin on the joycon as it looks like it can be done with out taking it apart.
You can make it as fancy as you want sure, but I just wanted a quick way to test it since it's probably still gonna be a while till we can actually do anything with it.

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can make it as fancy as you want sure, but I just wanted a quick way to test it since it's probably still gonna be a while till we can actually do anything with it.
I was thinking about just binding the pin on my joycon just did not know if it would still charge if i did it also am thinking about a hardmod with a button on it that will let me do it as well.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking about just binding the pin on my joycon just did not know if it would still charge if i did it also am thinking about a hardmod with a button on it that will let me do it as well.
I've read that it still works as normal if you do "bentpinhax". But I really didn't want to do anything to damage the joycon, so I put the screwdriver into the Switch itself to short the pins.

leerpsp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've read that it still works as normal if you do "bentpinhax". But I really didn't want to do anything to damage the joycon, so I put the screwdriver into the Switch itself to short the pins.
so it will only be the last to pins and not pins 10 and 7 like others were saying because the last 2 pins are pins 10 and 9

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
No bending involved. You are just shorting two pins. (Metal conducts electricity. Holding something conductive against those two pins does the trick. Thats why fail0verflow are suggesting that dongle thingy.

I can tell a neat story, where I was able to reflash a very popular brick router using uboot, and a pair or nail scissors shorting two pins of the actual processor of the router. :) (at which point the recovery mode kicked in, and the thing started to talk to uboot)

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
so it will only be the last to pins and not pins 10 and 7 like others were saying because the last 2 pins are pins 10 and 9
fail0verflow and temkin suggest different pins "to be shortened" in their methods. This stuff has to be standardized still. Afaik. ;) (Seems to be a "several ways lead to rome" kind of thing).

Most people trying this out currently are following the suggested method in the fusee gelee launcher readme (ground pin 10).

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: leerpsp

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is the pic of "bentpinhax" if you want to mod the joycon instead.. I'm not brave enough to try it in case the pin breaks off.

1524497610362.jpg

Reactions: notimp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...