Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I have a brilliant problem on my hands here. My old launch Wii has bricked, directly following me doing nothing at all to it except playing Lost Winds.

When I got up today, the power LED was orange, but pressing it did not turn on the console.
Upon yanking the power and booting it up, I am greeted with a black screen.
A couple more tries at starting the console give me "the system files are corrupt" in garbled text
Starting the console with a SD card prepared for Bootmii (I have boot2) gives a black screen and a blinking disk light
Priiloader works, if I don't have the bootmii card in when I start it.
From Priiloader I've been able to load any homebrew and various channels.
However, reinstalling the system menu wad, running syscheck (All versions and DOP-Mii), and running hackmii all freeze.
I have my old NAND backup, but I only have the nand.bin and not the keys.bin. Stupid me.

So, uh, any tips? What exactly can I do out of priiloader that would be of help.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
u don't need the keys.bin to restore the nand.bin backup. In fact, with the exception of the very first revisions of bootmii, all nand.bin backups have the keys.bin appended to the end of it. So essentially you can extracts your keys.bin from your nand.bin.

Are you able to access bootmii at all (ie. via the HBC or priiloader)? Have you tried running syschecks' syscheck (not dop-mii's)?

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Alright, looks like I spoke too soon. I tried running hackmii for a third time, and this time it worked. Reinstalled bootmii, and now bootmii starts up.
However, Bootmii is claiming that my backup is from a different Wii. There's no god damn way I backed up the wrong Wii. Is there any other reason i might be receiving that message?

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
I have few ideas that need experts blessings:
Since bootmii-boot2 is present you can try different workarounds:
1. from your previous semi-brick post you told us about error messages related to wii settings/Mii channel...
so one option is to delete your settings by deleting "Shared2" folder using WiiXplorer rev234 or fstoolbox
2. A second option is to restore your wii back to factory - many games can take you straight to wii settings bypassing the system menu
3. Restore your Nand if everything fails

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I think either tuieidj or giantpune will give you the correct answer for that.

Can you do a NAND backup right now?
How many bad blocks has your NAND now?

Write down and post here everything Bootmii shows on screen while doing the NAND backup process..

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I think either tuieidj or giantpune will give you the correct answer for that.

Can you do a NAND backup right now?
How many bad blocks has your NAND now?

Write down and post here everything Bootmii shows on screen while doing the NAND backup process..
This Wii has always had shitloads of bad blocks, right from the start.
Thanks for reminding me though. I KNOW that nand backup is from this Wii. I remember getting the usual tons of bad blocks. My other Wii doesn't get those.
So why is Bootmii asking for the konami code?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Well then, stop. A huge amount of bad blocks means physically damaged /wearing out NAND. Konami code is mandatory in newest hackmii versions, and requires a GC controller plugged in, in order to restore NAND.

You could try replacing NAND chip, or wait. Don't do anything completely rash as you'll waste a day 1 Wii (bootmii at boot2 capable)

Reactions: 1 person

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Well then, stop. A huge amount of bad blocks means physically damaged /wearing out NAND. Konami code is mandatory in newest hackmii versions, and requires a GC controller plugged in, in order to restore NAND.

You could try replacing NAND chip, or wait. Don't do anything completely rash as you'll waste a day 1 Wii (bootmii at boot2 capable)
>A huge amount of bad blocks means physically damaged /wearing out NAND
It's always been this way though. I attributed it to launch run factory defects.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
The only way to "fix it" is by using a hardware flasher, swap the NAND chip and solder a new one. Rewrite the latest NAND backup you did (even with bad blocks labeled in the fs), re-do a NAND backup, extract keys, build a new NAND with ohneschwanzenegger using your Wii's keys, then profit.

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Yeah it's not that high, and it hasn't gotten worse over time. Just much higher than my other Wii. Pretty damn sure this is the right nand backup. Just, is there any other possible reason why bootmii would be complaining like it is?

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Perhaps 20? Maybe a bit more? I'm not at all sure.
And Joostin, it's asking for the Konami code because it says that my nand backup doesn't match my Wii. I'm wondering if there is any situation in which it could be giving this message in error

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps 20? Maybe a bit more? I'm not at all sure.
And Joostin, it's asking for the Konami code because it says that my nand backup doesn't match my Wii. I'm wondering if there is any situation in which it could be giving this message in error
I'm sorry, I missed that part. Check your bootmii version. I'm guessing you made the backup with v1.0 or earlier, although you may not have it now. They fixed that bug in v1.1.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States

The only way to "fix it" is by using a hardware flasher, swap the NAND chip and solder a new one. Rewrite the latest NAND backup you did (even with bad blocks labeled in the fs), re-do a NAND backup, extract keys, build a new NAND with ohneschwanzenegger using your Wii's keys, then profit.
Almost everything you said is misinformation. I think the only word that was not wrong is the word "the".

Reactions: 2 people

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

Almost everything you said is misinformation. I think the only word that was not wrong is the word "the".

I love how people like you won't say something useful at all (sometimes, because you can be quite helpful sometimes either). I've coded on chips read/write retries, DEMUX, etc and all that stuff, so that's why I always ask how is the current chip condition as it could be the main cause of weird problems accessing data (or failing at reading vital OS files)

Expect perfection and end up alone, dear temper. I'm trying my best trying to help, and not "misunderstand" others, as they will be probably more right than I. Sharing experience will lead to something good in the end, with a good attitude.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
ok. Sorry. Joostin already explained about the konami code, and the OP doesn't need a hardware flasher for this situation since his nand is not getting more bad blocks so his nand chip does not need to be replaced.

I was in a rush, I had dinner cooking and the bitch wife wasn't doing her job with it.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn