Gaming Front mission on the DS ?

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Supposedly this was in Famitsu...that's what the german source says anyway. I am tended to believe it but I'd like to see a scan of the page. The first Front Mission was awesome...great story.

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks but yeah I saw the scan. Unfortunately it's too fuzzy to read the Japanese. I did some research and this is the info I came up with:

Best scan: http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/aa8f5fdb27.jpg
Dev blog: http://frontmissionproject.cocolog-nifty.com/fmpb/

Front Mission saw a re-release on psx in 2003 called Front Mission 1st. It had updated graphics which stayed true to the original (updated trees for instance, some nicer lighting, nothing big). It also had some added wanzers and parts. Biggest and most exciting feature was an alternate storyline. Now you get to fight on both the OCU and OSN side. The DS version seems to be a port of this game with the exact same graphics. I confirmed this from comparing the screenshots found on the developer blog with the ones from Front Mission 1st.

Now since I'm unable to read the text I can't confirm this from the actual source, but considering some sources which actually had the magazine it seems there will be some additions. About the only thing I *can* read in the scan is the big headline, mentioning the character from Front Mission 5 (topleft screen) appearing in FMDS (topright screen). So, what I'm speculating is, there will be some small dialogue additions like the addition of this character, and some new parts for the wanzers, but nothing big will be added to this port of Front Mission 1st.

Are we going to see an overseas release for this game? I don't know...considering that it seems to be largely a port, they might not want to go all the way and translate 2 storylines worth of dialogue (remember, Front Mission has never seen a release outside of Japan). On the other side, Square has been generous with releases like Rocket Slime...so it could happen.

That they probably didn't add much over Front Mission 1st is ok, since we've never been able to play the PSX version with all the additions in the first place. It's likely most people haven't played the SNES original either since the English version only exists as a fan-translated effort.

On a personal note. Big strenght of this game are the customization and the awesome storyline and characters. The battles don't reward tactical play enough. I finished the game with just one strategy that I kept repeating. I hope they implement some of the new stuff like taking over wanzers from fm3 but I am pretty sure it won't happen.

If anyone knows any more about the game or has a better scan that I could try to read please let me know
wink.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah this was like announced for US release months and months ago along with DWM Joker.

I'm surprised GoNintendo were so late with it, I mean the Japanese version has been out since March! Dunno why they used the SNES screenshot when theres plenty of Japanese shots.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah this was like announced for US release months and months ago along with DWM Joker.

I'm surprised GoNintendo were so late with it, I mean the Japanese version has been out since March! Dunno why they used the SNES screenshot when theres plenty of Japanese shots.

And that my friends IS the official word.
I look forward to play it since my Translated SNES rom froze on the first city Battle on the PS2's Snes emulator. But that was like 3 or 4 years ago.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptLqnNMcQk