Tutorial  Updated

From zero to Hekate/Atmosphere

Guide link

I plan on fully keeping it up-to-date.

Has instructions that should work for all firmwares, a part for software-side 1.0.0 (PegaSwitch + reboot_to_rcm) and an FAQ detailing some common questions + a guide on how to dump your NAND.

Hopefully this will be useful.

If something is unclear/could use clarification, please use the Issue Tracker. Same goes for suggestions to add to the FAQ.

ReiNX/SX OS/sigpatches into Atmosphere won't be supported, don't bother asking, FAQ explains why.

Credits:
  • Individual credits are listed for each page
  • Jisagi for layout, T3CHNOLOG1C for the original guide.
  • All developers for the referenced tools and utilities.

Last edited by Ev1l0rd,

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you post a screenshot of the error and what OS youre running this on?

(Sorry for not seeing this earlier)
I'm running Windows 10.

IMG_20181030_192132.jpg

No worries, thanks for replying.

Preem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Ev1l0rd I wanted to thank you for the well written guide. I have been successful at running atmosphere because of it. I do have one concern with which you might be able to assist me with. I have been researching the whole "ban" topic and it seems like the most common advice is to create a clean nand backup to restore to in order to go online. Based on your guide it requires us to run atmosphere first and then proceed with the nand backup. I've read some commentary about creating a clean backup before launching any CFW. Here's my progress based on the information within your guide... I booted into RCM, ran the payload, launched atmosphere, reboot the system, create the nand backup and then stopped immediately right there. I have not updated my firmware or installed any homebrew as of yet.

So here are my questions based on my 2.3 firmware system:
1) Does running atmosphere prior to creating a backup modify our original nand?
2) Can I revert to a 100% "clean" stock by doing a factory reset within the original firmware?
3) Are there any specific instructions to follow in order to remove any traces of CFW, payload, etc before attempting a factory reset.

The reason I ask these questions are because I would like to make sure that I have a 100% clean nand backup should I decide to ever go online and not have to worry about being banned. Thank you for your time :)

Last edited by Preem,

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
OP
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
1) Does running atmosphere prior to creating a backup modify our original nand?
Running Atmosphere never directly touches the NAND. No identifiable data that you are running Atmosphere should be reported to Nintendo (I do say this with the caveat that we don't fully know the extent of telemetry).

2) Can I revert to a 100% "clean" stock by doing a factory reset within the original firmware?
I am not 100% sure, but I would assume that this is not the case. It would clean up some obvious things (ie. installed XCI games), but I'm pretty sure that telemetry would still have data from the original (pre-reset) system.

3) Are there any specific instructions to follow in order to remove any traces of CFW, payload, etc before attempting a factory reset.
Just remove all Atmosphere related files from your SD card (all files and folders except for the Nintendo folder). If you are using AutoRCM, disable that too.

So here are my questions based on my 2.3 firmware system:
For now I would strongly advise you not to update to any firmware above 4.1.0. This is because of the at the moment unreleased Deja Vu exploit (was originally gonna be released when Mariko units released, dunno when it's gonna be released now?) is a software based TrustZone exploit which will let you run Atmosphere, but this is fixed above 4.1.0.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
OP
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Update that's probably relevant enough for me to refer to here again:
  • NAND dump was moved to it's own step to ensure you actually do it. It's simple really; don't have a NAND dump, youre boned if you brick your Switch, ergo everyone should make one and this ensures people won't just skimp over it.

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Using your provided TegraRCM 1.2.1.3 was always disconnecting my Switch after HEKATE logo showed up and the Switch stayed on a black screen. Using latest TegraRCMSmash GUI 2.4 with the Hekate payload works. I'd suggest using that instead. My system is on 6.1.0 btw.

Last edited by CaptainHIT, , Reason: Added Switch version info.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
OP
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Using your provided TegraRCM 1.2.1.3 was always disconnecting my Switch after HEKATE logo showed up and the Switch stayed on a black screen. Using latest TegraRCMSmash GUI 2.4 with the Hekate payload works. I'd suggest using that instead. My system is on 6.1.0 btw.
This isn't related to TegraRCMSmash, this is related to HOS auto-poweroff, where if the device detects an unclean HOS poweroff (due to a crash, powercycle or due to AutoRCM), Hekate will just show the boot splash and shut down.

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This isn't related to TegraRCMSmash, this is related to HOS auto-poweroff, where if the device detects an unclean HOS poweroff (due to a crash, powercycle or due to AutoRCM), Hekate will just show the boot splash and shut down.
So is this normal or is there something weird with my Switch?

Arch Feline

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously. Thank you for the guide. Other peeps, how about write a guide if you do not like this one? I will be happy to have another guide.

Reactions: Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
OP
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Removed/hid the 6.2 changes and cleaned up the 6.2 FAQ. Just update to Atmosphere 0.8.0 and then to system ver. 6.2 if you downgraded, otherwise just follow the guide.

Nyaako

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to set up my 1.0.0 Switch, but I'm currently stuck at the part where I needed to open the web applet through JPN Puyo Puyo Tetris and get CMD with start.js to detect my Switch. Unfortunately, it doesn't detect it and my Switch isn't "connecting" to the internet after changing the DNS setting to manual and using the DNS IP that was given to me from start.js.

Preem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Removed/hid the 6.2 changes and cleaned up the 6.2 FAQ. Just update to Atmosphere 0.8.0 and then to system ver. 6.2 if you downgraded, otherwise just follow the guide.

Thanks for the consistent updates on the tutorial site. It's been very helpful since day one. So I went ahead and updated my SD card with the new files and followed the revised instructions but unfortunately Atmosphere keeps crashing after I attempt to load the homebrew menu after opening the "album" icon. I wasn't having this issue prior to the 6.2 update so I'm unsure of what might be the cause. I've reformatted the SD card numerous times but the same problem persists and there isn't much info when searching for "album crash/shutdown." Any guidance would be greatly appreciated :) Also my switch is still currently on the 2.3.0 original firmware and loading 8.2 Atmosphere.

Thanks!

Last edited by Preem,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: bye whoever's leaving