From zero to Hekate/Atmosphere

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by Ev1l0rd, Sep 27, 2018.

1. BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247 GBAtemp Stoner

Oct 22, 2008
    United States
    I'm so high, I don't even know!
    I'm running Windows 10.

IMG_20181030_192132.jpg

No worries, thanks for replying.

2. Ev1l0rd
    OP

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) Developer - noirscape

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Install git, I'll add this to the guide tomorrow.

BL4Z3D247 likes this.
  3. Preem

Preem Member

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2015
    United States
    Eternal Realm
    @Ev1l0rd I wanted to thank you for the well written guide. I have been successful at running atmosphere because of it. I do have one concern with which you might be able to assist me with. I have been researching the whole "ban" topic and it seems like the most common advice is to create a clean nand backup to restore to in order to go online. Based on your guide it requires us to run atmosphere first and then proceed with the nand backup. I've read some commentary about creating a clean backup before launching any CFW. Here's my progress based on the information within your guide... I booted into RCM, ran the payload, launched atmosphere, reboot the system, create the nand backup and then stopped immediately right there. I have not updated my firmware or installed any homebrew as of yet.

So here are my questions based on my 2.3 firmware system:
    1) Does running atmosphere prior to creating a backup modify our original nand?
    2) Can I revert to a 100% "clean" stock by doing a factory reset within the original firmware?
    3) Are there any specific instructions to follow in order to remove any traces of CFW, payload, etc before attempting a factory reset.

The reason I ask these questions are because I would like to make sure that I have a 100% clean nand backup should I decide to ever go online and not have to worry about being banned. Thank you for your time :)

Last edited by Preem, Nov 9, 2018 at 2:36 PM
  4. Ev1l0rd
    OP

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Running Atmosphere never directly touches the NAND. No identifiable data that you are running Atmosphere should be reported to Nintendo (I do say this with the caveat that we don't fully know the extent of telemetry).

I am not 100% sure, but I would assume that this is not the case. It would clean up some obvious things (ie. installed XCI games), but I'm pretty sure that telemetry would still have data from the original (pre-reset) system.

Just remove all Atmosphere related files from your SD card (all files and folders except for the Nintendo folder). If you are using AutoRCM, disable that too.

For now I would strongly advise you not to update to any firmware above 4.1.0. This is because of the at the moment unreleased Deja Vu exploit (was originally gonna be released when Mariko units released, dunno when it's gonna be released now?) is a software based TrustZone exploit which will let you run Atmosphere, but this is fixed above 4.1.0.

5. Ev1l0rd
    OP

Oct 26, 2015
    Netherlands
    Site 19
    Update that's probably relevant enough for me to refer to here again:
    • NAND dump was moved to it's own step to ensure you actually do it. It's simple really; don't have a NAND dump, youre boned if you brick your Switch, ergo everyone should make one and this ensures people won't just skimp over it.